Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-08-11, 10:26am

Default Super Clear vs Crystal Clear

Preferences??? I personally love Super Clear but recently saw some Crystal Clear. Hmmmmm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-08-11, 12:40pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

I'm assuming you mean for 104. I have always loved the Lauscha clear.
Old 2014-08-11, 4:53pm

I saw it listed as Effetre...I had never heard of "crystal" clear.

Old 2014-08-11, 8:07pm
Slogan Challenged...

Clears - 004 or 006 for Effetre. I have heard the "crystal" name used for 004 but that is just the regular clear. Super clear is 006 and as you may know is considered the better one. They haven't come out with anything new that I know of, but VS clear over on the Frantz website is said to be better than the 006 and compatible. I've been thinking of trying it.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-08-11, 10:56pm
I like to melt things

I think I've been the victim of really bad batch-luck, because so many people have had such fantastic experiences with Effetre 006 Clear and I seem to only find the batches that bubble and scum.

I like Reichenbach Crystal Clear, but that's probably not the Crystal that the OP meant. Reichenbach Crystal 104 clear glass is my favourite clear

-
-
Old 2014-08-12, 4:36am

Effetre 006 is called crystal clear over here *shrugs*

|
|
|
|
Old 2014-08-13, 8:21am

The Italian name for Clear is Cristallo or Crystal. I think that is where the confusion is coming from.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2014-08-16, 11:14am

You should give the VS Clear from Frantz a try. It's nice - not as buttery soft and perfect as Double Helix clears, which I use for deeply encased beads, but it's a whole lot cheaper and I've had no problems with compatibility. Works well with silver glass. You need to work a bit cool - or it will bubble - but it's a great bargain for the quality, and I rarely have to pull off any scum or other imperfections.
Old 2014-08-24, 1:12am

I have used the VS clear from FrantzArtGlass since it appeared on their website. I heat and discard about 2mm on the end of the rod which in the beginning sometimes gave me a problem with bubbles. I have never had a bad bead with this glass. It's easy to melt, easy to use and I love it. I bought a few rods of Zephyr but am keeping those for the moment as the VS is perfect for me. I use a Nortel torch.
Old 2014-10-05, 2:07pm

Would anybody know what kind it is? It is so clean and clear... and triangle?
Attached Images

Old 2014-10-05, 7:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljonjon1983 View Post
Would anybody know what kind it is? It is so clean and clear... and triangle?
I'd guess it was boro. Boro clear is wonderful.
Old 2014-10-06, 8:52am

Its 104. I was told it was old , but dont know what kind.
Old 2014-10-13, 6:13pm
Senior Member | Jenelle

I prefer to use Effetre Super Clear for beads I am going to etch, it really takes the matte look to perfection. Zephyr clear by Double Helix is my all time fav for encasing beads. Here are some examples of each.

The above are encased with Zephyr ...

Below are beads encased with Super clear and etched

|
|
|
|

Old 2014-10-20, 3:27pm

VS has been one of the easiest for me. Effetre Super Clear works nicely as well.

I think its a matter of both preference and customer base.

If you have a shop and frequently sell your beads, you want something that works really well and looks professional.

If you're more like me, who doesn't typically sell other that to coworkers, I tend to buy what's on sale. I just like to play and experiment, and that's a good way to find out what you like.