Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2008-05-21, 12:53pm

Default EZCube TableTop Studio Bead Kit - Do you like it?

If you have the Bead version of the EZCube TableTop photo studio set, do you like it? Would you mind posting a photo or two? Can you comment on it? I'm sick of taking photos in natural light on my deck, and want something more professional. Shari Slonski told me about the Cocoon that she uses - and I'd like that, but then if I get the lighting, background and accessories separately, I think it ends up costing more than the EZCube bead kit.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-05-21, 12:59pm
Happy Beadmaker!

Default I use much cheaper version!

I hate to take anybody's business, but someone told me about the "Portable Photo Studio" so that's what I use. I got it at Walmart, under $50, comes with two tripod lights, camera tripod, the "cube" folds out/folds up into its own carrying case. I love it...

Just a thought,
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2008-05-21, 1:24pm
A True Woofer

I bought the Table Top Studios bead photography kit about 3 years ago. It has been great. Worth every penny to me.

Old 2008-05-21, 1:29pm

I have the tabletop EZCube which I purchased at their ebay store for considerably less. I bought reflectors with ceramic bases at Home Depot for next to nothing and then put high quality light bulbs in them. The base of the reflectors that I bought have clamps on them so I clamp them to weighted jars and they work well. I made my own underlighting panel from things I purchased at Home Depot as well but I didn't like the results---it washed out the beads. So, if you want to you can do things in a less expensive way. Everything on my website was taken with this setup using a Canon digital Rebel, but here are some photos to look at:

Bead Gallery
Old 2008-05-21, 3:28pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I have the small EZ cube tent. Didn't buy the lights. I bought my lights at the hardware store (the cheap ones with the clamps and stuck 150 watt bulbs in each. On light is clamped overhead the other two on the sides of the tent. Before taking my picture, the most important thing to do is to make sure you have a correct white balance.
Attached Images

Ebay:
Old 2008-05-21, 11:10pm
Catnip Pusher

I bought the setup - didn't feel like taking the time to find all the bits seperately. I'm very happy with it, and I think it has improved my photos quite a bit! Less glare, less shadowing, better color, that sort of thing. Yes, you can put together the same sort of setup for less. But your time is valuable, and these folks do have a quality product.

Aimee
Old 2008-05-22, 4:21am
Carpe beadum

Aimee and Ellen, what are you using for your background? It looks gradient. Your photos and beads are beautiful! I bought Ellen's beautiful beads at the Watertown show. Her beads are amazing in person!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolychromeBeads View Post
I bought the setup - didn't feel like taking the time to find all the bits seperately. I'm very happy with it, and I think it has improved my photos quite a bit! Less glare, less shadowing, better color, that sort of thing. Yes, you can put together the same sort of setup for less. But your time is valuable, and these folks do have a quality product.

Aimee
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaGirlBT View Post
I bought the Table Top Studios bead photography kit about 3 years ago. It has been great. Worth every penny to me.

Soli Deo Gloria

Last edited by Quicksilverart; 2008-05-22 at 4:23am.
Old 2008-05-22, 6:22am
Dangerous Woman

I'm sorry if I sound dumb, but are the beadsets just laying down on the "floor" of the cube? They kinda look like they are on a tilted base - if so how do you keep them from sliding down? Aimee's (beautiful!!) beads look like they are standing upright. How do you do that?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-05-22, 7:07am
A True Woofer

Hi Carolyn! Thanks for the compliment. I got a gradient paper background that fits nicely into the cube from the same vendor. There are ways to print one yourself, but I found this worked better for me.

And mine are laying down on the floor of the cube. The angle looks tilted because the camera is tilted down looking at the beads. My camera would be in front of the cube, angled down onto the beads through the front of the cube.

Old 2008-05-22, 9:15am
Catnip Pusher

I use the gray gradient background (it comes with the setup - although I'm on my second one now!), and it is the best!

Sometimes I take pics with the beads laying flat, sometimes standing up - depends on my whim. The single beads I shoot upright using an acrylic bead stand to hold them. It's nice and unobtrusive. The sets I either wire to keep them in place, or hang them from the "ceiling" of the cube (like in the top pic I showed) with the long end of the ribbon on which they're strung.

Ahhh - giving away all my secrets now!

Aimee
Old 2008-05-22, 12:32pm
Dangerous Woman

Thanks so much. I'm just starting to get my crap together to photograph my beads. I have a cube but no back drop and I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to arrange the beads.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-05-29, 11:41am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolychromeBeads View Post
I use the gray gradient background (it comes with the setup - although I'm on my second one now!), and it is the best!

Sometimes I take pics with the beads laying flat, sometimes standing up - depends on my whim. The single beads I shoot upright using an acrylic bead stand to hold them. It's nice and unobtrusive. The sets I either wire to keep them in place, or hang them from the "ceiling" of the cube (like in the top pic I showed) with the long end of the ribbon on which they're strung.

Ahhh - giving away all my secrets now!

Aimee
Those artichoke type beads are drop dead gorgeous!

Anne

Old 2008-05-29, 5:32pm
Catnip Pusher

Thanks Anne!

Aimee
Old 2008-05-29, 8:24pm

I have an assistant to hold up the backround sweep - This seems to work well for me.............. LOL Just kidding. This is an old pic - I have the tabletop studio and bought a nylon sweep. I use different colored backrounds for some of the photos of jewelry but usually the back to white gradient sweep for beads. You can see my photos on my website or ETSY. My kids gave me proper lights (for my bday ) on mini tripods with the correct halogen daylight bulbs and I think it is worth the money.

and also ......
Old 2008-06-04, 10:11am

I have the same photo set up as Ellen and I really like the floor lights.
I did get two bases though and they arrived all scratched up so I couldn't use them.
Take a look at B&H Photo too before you buy.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-06-12, 4:04am
Happy Beadmaker!

Default Ott Light

Hi all: Working on my photog skills (or lack thereof, haha) so thought this would be the place for tips!

These I took inside cube and under Ott light -- what do you think?

Let me know, ok?

Thanks,
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2008-06-12, 4:22am

I think those bracelets ROCK!!!! What color backround did you use? If you are looking for an inexpensive gradient backround here is where you can find them to print on paper......plus a nice little tutorial. http://www.dawnandevan.com/photo_tutorial.htm

and also ......
Old 2008-06-12, 4:38am
Happy Beadmaker!

Default I'll go read that, thanks...

I had purchased a cheap (under $50) Portable Photo Studio setup from Walmart (pretty cool, has its own cube, tripod lights, camera tripod, reversible background, plus foldup carrying case, so the background I used is just the gray side of the one that came with it. I have to admit to not wanting to invest thousand$ for setup that has to remain setup...would rather be able to just shoot decent pics but be able to pack up afterwards and not have it sitting out all the time.

Thanks for tips, I'll go ck out the tutorial! Glad you liked the bracelets...

Best,
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2008-06-20, 11:46am
Apparently Invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea Zinke View Post
I had purchased a cheap (under $50) Portable Photo Studio setup from Walmart (pretty cool, has its own cube, tripod lights, camera tripod, reversible background, plus foldup carrying case, so the background I used is just the gray side of the one that came with it. I have to admit to not wanting to invest thousand$ for setup that has to remain setup...would rather be able to just shoot decent pics but be able to pack up afterwards and not have it sitting out all the time.

Thanks for tips, I'll go ck out the tutorial! Glad you liked the bracelets...

Best,
Lea
My hubby got me one of these portable sets ON SALE...$15.00!
Now if I can only figure out the camera I have..... which is HOW I found this thread,lol!

Old 2008-06-26, 6:47pm

Lea,
How do you set up your lights with the cube? I pick a portable studio up and played with it a little bit tonight with some OK results. Having problems figuring out the lighting so that it does cast to much of a shadow. Your bracelet pics are just what I'm trying to achieve. Any in put would be greatly appreciated.

Old 2008-08-11, 2:39pm

OK - I got the EZCube Bead set for my birthday, and got it today!
The first two photos are with the EZCube, and the last one was just taken on my deck. I think I like the deck photo better, so I guess I still need to play with the camera settings more.

Old 2008-08-12, 7:20am
Pyromaniac

This is mine -- I think I got it on ebay and it folds up into a black carrying case. Not shown are two cheap clamp on shop lights I got and they shine through the sides of the box. I like them much better than the smoking halogens that came with the kit. (you can see the original halogen on the left) I also got a gradient background which I love!

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2008-08-12, 7:27am
Pyromaniac

BTW I think Shari has the absolute best photos, and I hope she doesn't mind me posting one! Maybe she will share her setup and camera settings. I love the reflection . . .

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2008-08-12 at 7:33am.
Old 2008-09-28, 2:18pm
Senior Member | Jenelle

I am trying to get used to taking indoor photos for the season, Love out doors photos but not willing to freeze this year like I did lastHave been looking into photo boxes and kits, DH built me a temp out of cardboard and tracing paper, but it's just not cutting it.

I have my eye set on this one, an investment to be sure, and want to know if there is anyone hanging about the forum that uses it already and can vouch for it?

It has a flat panel with under lighting, which is what has me drooling over it...

http://store.tabletopstudio-store.com/glphkit.html

comments, pictures, suggestions all welcome

|
|
|
|

Old 2008-09-28, 3:23pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Here's my set up and some more infos --> http://www.beadsbybabe.com/phototut.htm
I got the cube on Ebay for 30 bucks.

I just moved to a new house, so I will update this someday with the new set up.