LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2012-06-01, 9:52am
Mary Lockwood

Default New Dragon Tutorial!

Thank you for requesting this tutorial. It was really fun to make, and challenging too. I hope you enjoy working with it and share pictures of all the dragons you make.

Step by step I share every detail of making this style of dragon beads. From pulling stringer and making eye cane to learning about construction and forming components I hold nothing in reserve.

31 pages, over 160 full color images and detailed instruction.

You can view the materials list and free sample pages through my web store:
You can click here to purchase in my shop!

You can purchase it in my shop or you can get instant gratification with an automatic download here:

$25

Thanks again and have fun!
~~Mary
marylockwood.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Moth; 2013-02-05 at 10:24am.
Old 2012-06-01, 9:43pm

Oh my, Oh my. What a wonderful tutorial! Thank you so much Mary. Can't wait to get started....wonder how dragons look in Pea Green? I have lots to play with LOL. (For some reason which escapes me, I ordered 6 pounds! Even thinking I was going to make frogs.......that's a lot of frogs!)

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2012-06-01, 10:05pm
I speak Murrini!

Can't wait to see how everyone does! I have several of Mary's wonderful tutorials, and I'm sure this one will be A-MAZE-ING!!!

Congrats Mary!!!

((HUGS))
De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2012-06-01, 10:54pm

Great tutorial !! I will try it as soon as i get myself a hot plate

Magma Beads .

Old 2012-06-02, 3:38am
Hobby Junkie

I wonder if the techniques would translate well to boro??? What do you think Mary???

Old 2012-06-02, 7:14am
Mary Lockwood

Thanks everyone!

Magma, can't you use your kiln for this? My hotplate broke a couple weeks ago. I bought an electric coil kitchen hotplate at Goodwill for $3 and set a circular saw blade on it. That was the sturdiest piece of metal I had at hand. Works perfectly...$3.

Cori, I haven't worked tons of boro myself but I've done a handful of beads and two small sculptures. The construction of the dragon would be the same for any glass. The same rules apply: smooth joins and not thermal shocking it being the two most important. From a thermal standpoint, these might actually be easier in boro because it isn't as shocky. You just need to know that the working properties of boro are different and figure out how to work your striking colors and stuff like that.

There are free sample pages listed on my website that you can open as a pdf. Those might help you decide whether you want to give these a go in boro.

If you do, please share pics because I'd love to see them!

Old 2012-06-02, 2:25pm

Talking

Mary,

It only follows suit that after snagging quite a few of your dragons, i'd get the tutorial too. All i will say is your tutorial is every bit as high quality an item as your dragons. While i bought the tut, if i ever even try it, i will alter the bead into something else as a moth dragon is only a moth dragon when created by moth!
Old 2012-06-03, 1:10am

Hi Mary, my kiln is a little hard to grab stuff inside, i'll invest in a hotplate this week Especially if they are so cheap ! I can't wait to try this

Magma Beads .

Old 2012-06-03, 5:06pm
state-eternal change

Woo! Thank you Mary for making this tutorial! I am going to get it printed off nicely tomorrow and then give 'er a go, maybe on Tuesday!

Old 2012-06-04, 8:23pm
Formerly FishBulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Thanks everyone!

Magma, can't you use your kiln for this? My hotplate broke a couple weeks ago. I bought an electric coil kitchen hotplate at Goodwill for $3 and set a circular saw blade on it. That was the sturdiest piece of metal I had at hand. Works perfectly...$3.
Mary, you're such a MacGyver! I remember when you jerry-rigged (sp?) a box for sandblasting, too. You always come up with creative ways to use things.

That should be your next tutorial, how to make random stuff.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2012-06-04, 8:57pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

I don't know how I missed THIS thread! Just bought the tute too, and can't wait to try it out! Not that I am anywhere NEAR this skilled at sculptural thing, but I do so want to try, Mother of Dragons...

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2012-06-05, 8:15pm

I am so excited for this tut!! I just saw the post in the gallery tonight. I love the Mother of Dragons comment!

Caroline
Old 2012-06-06, 10:06pm

I just spent 3 hours making eyes, I am so slow! Loving this tut tho, it is very well written and easy to understand. Off to buy some more tools tomorrow so I can make my first dragon. Great job Mary!
Old 2012-06-07, 10:23am
Mary Lockwood

Just a reminder that there are free sample pages and a tools/supplies list on my website. www.marylockwood.com/dragons

There is only 1 uncommon tool but it is cheap and you don't have to have it.

Have fun!

Old 2012-06-07, 6:20pm
Melody of Glass

Hi Mary,

I just bought the tutorial tonight and I'm so impressed. I'm quite new to lampwork and really have no business trying this out yet but I fell in love with the dragons and had to see how they were done! After having read through it, your instructions are so clear and broken down so well that it's given me a bit of confidence to actually give it a go. Thanks for the great tut!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-06-08, 3:57pm
Glassy Broad :-)

Mary you are so kind to share this with everyone! I just got mine, and I am SO stoked to get on this!!!

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2012-06-08, 4:36pm

I found the "special" tool on eBay for 6.58 (buy it now price) plus a couple dollars shipping. Ordered it on Wed night, it got here today.

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2012-06-10, 10:41am

Location: Brussels, Belgium (But my heart remains in Florida)

Saw it, bought it, downloaded it, read it.......now I just have to try it! Thanks Mary!!

Old 2012-06-10, 9:36pm
Did someone say Oddlot?

What a RUSH making this bead is! Took me about 4 hours to complete. That includes the eye cane. My heart was actually racing when I finished. He is in the kiln now and I can hardly wait!

Thank you so much for making this tutorial Mary. This was a huge challenge for me. Great lesson in heat control. I love the tut. Extremely well done. You didn't leave anything out and included lots of extra tips.

Pictures to come
Old 2012-06-11, 9:59am
Mary Lockwood

Maria, I posted a comment in the gallery thread about your dragon! Thanks for posting a picture!

You did swell! When I first started making these, not counting the eye cane time, they were taking a smidge over 2 hours. It takes longer when you are reading a step by step.

I can do a typical one now in about an hour...so. You'll get quicker, if you make more, once you have the muscle memory.

Anyway...thanks again!
~~Mary

Old 2012-06-11, 10:00am
Mary Lockwood

Thanks for purchasing this tutorial, everyone. It is fun seeing all the dragons and watching the progress.

Old 2012-06-23, 8:30am
needs creative tagline

I have been waiting to buy this because I needed to finish a bunch of pieces for a show at a local museum, but I promised myself that if I sold anything at the show I would reward myself. Well, the opening was last night and I sold 3 pieces so now its mine and I can't wait to try it!!!
laura

Facebook -

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...
Old 2012-06-27, 5:39am
Mary Lockwood

Laura, have anything to share yet?

Congrats on a good show!

Old 2012-06-27, 2:06pm
needs creative tagline

um, well, I tried one and it went not too bad until I made the neck about 3 times too long so the head is sort of attached way down near the end of his tail. Also I've been working mostly boro for the show prep and really burned the snot out of the soft colors so they are pretty yucky looking. I shall try again...

Facebook -

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...
Old 2012-07-14, 9:01pm
Glassy Broad :-)

Oh Mary this is a beautifully written, and photographed tutorial. I. just. love. it.
My Dragons however are leaving a lot to be desired.
I've switched over to soft glass, and I can do everything EXCEPT attach the head, or when I make the blob on the bead instead (trying not to give any secrets away here) it always melts into a short blob. I had the same problem with the boro too.
Maybe you could just make the heads and sell them???
I know, PPP

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!