Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-10-21, 7:08pm
Angie09

Default Frit & silver foil question

I've read all the threads here on frit and have Val's book, etc. but I'm wondering if there is any general rule about whether to use transparent or opaque frit on silver foil? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2014-10-21, 7:30pm
It's all about the color.

I would think that if you used opaque, you wouldn't be able to see the silver foil underneath.

Having said that, I do have charts on my website that show how the different frits look with heavy silver leaf if that helps.
http://listen-up.org/kitty/beads/frit.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-10-21, 11:59pm
Lover of Life

Using transparent frit over foil gives you the lovely jewel like colors all in shimmery goodness, as long as you don't burn the silver in too much. When you use opaque frit over foil, the foil will concentrate itself between the bits of frit for a really nice effect. Use both, use often, and have fun!

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2014-10-22, 6:13am
Angie09

Do you reduce at the end to accent the foil?
Old 2014-10-22, 8:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Do you reduce at the end to accent the foil?
I don't because it always fumes the other colors
Old 2014-10-22, 9:09am
Slogan Challenged...

I've always wondered about the reduction too, but it does tend to fume everything so I don't know why it is recommended. I find that using foil or a larger amount of the thicker leaf is needed to get any sparkly bits of silver. Also melting slower than normal. Anyone else have some tips for that?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-10-22, 8:27pm
Glass-aholic

I make neat organic beads that I foil and frit with various reduction Frits both opaque and trans. I like to mix them. It gives a cool effect when some reduce and others do not. Many of the different opaque vs trans Frits will reduce and un-reduce at a different rate. If you can find a balance it's really neat. I have one in the kiln now I think it's an opaque teal and a trans green frit. Both reduction on foiled ivory. Reduced and semi un-reduced so the teal shows with the green still reduced. I'll see if I can remember to take a pic.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-10-23, 5:19am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
I make neat organic beads that I foil and frit with various reduction Frits both opaque and trans. I like to mix them. It gives a cool effect when some reduce and others do not. Many of the different opaque vs trans Frits will reduce and un-reduce at a different rate. If you can find a balance it's really neat. I have one in the kiln now I think it's an opaque teal and a trans green frit. Both reduction on foiled ivory. Reduced and semi un-reduced so the teal shows with the green still reduced. I'll see if I can remember to take a pic.
Photo
Old 2014-10-23, 6:53am

I had a phase where I did a lot of silver foil w/frit so these are old pictures.

This is black base, silver foil, intense black frit, etched.

I think I had used Rubino to get the opal yellow dots to spread, and if memory serves me, I used double foil.

-Donna

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2014-10-23, 7:07am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeads View Post
I had a phase where I did a lot of silver foil w/frit so these are old pictures.

This is black base, silver foil, intense black frit, etched.

I think I had used Rubino to get the opal yellow dots to spread, and if memory serves me, I used double foil.

-Donna
Those are beautiful Donna! Thanks!!
Old 2014-10-23, 7:15am

If you use a glass with spreading properties (ie, intense black and rubino) it will push the silver and bunch it up into lines.

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2014-10-27, 12:38pm

Gorgeous beads Donna!

I'm addicted to silver leaf, foil, silvered glass and silver mesh! You can get so many cool looks and reactions and it's so much fun!