No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-06-17, 11:58am

Wine bottle
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

follow me on Instagram @tinkercreekcreations
Old 2016-06-17, 12:05pm

I have lots more, but don't want to hog any more than I have.

Last one... beer bottle discs... They get so dark when melted, they can look black. discs are the best for showing more brown...
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2016-06-24, 11:34pm
Phill

I love the " I used to be a Coca Cola Bottle" tags.

It would be neat to have presses with the "I used to be ...." carved into them.
Old 2016-06-25, 7:31am

Really pretty !
Old 2016-07-02, 4:03am

I've been "gifted" with a BIG bunch/variety of wine, whiskey, beer etc. bottles in various colors including a lovely red and I'm wondering if things can successfully be added to beads when they're being made. Things like silver foil, pixie dust maybe could make more than just single color beads. Those etched Coke bottle beads make lovely sea glass. Do you find that most of the bottle glass does well etched? I'm thinking of using some of those beautiful green Jagermeister bottles to make a seaweed bowl. Have you tried using bottle glass for a project bigger than beads?

Andrea
NE Missouri

Last edited by Dreamsincolor; 2016-07-02 at 4:08am.
Old 2016-07-02, 6:26am

So far, I haven't done anything more than beads, although there are molds available for making dip trays and incense burners from bottles. www.delphiglass.com has several. There's also a book, 40 Great Glass Fusing Projects by Lynn Haunstein that has some interesting techniques for bottle glass. I haven't done any etching either, largely because the etching solutions and pastes make me nervous. Nitric acid is nasty stuff!

Special effects like metal foils, mesh, pixie dust, glow powders, and metal frits should work just fine, since they don't have any COE of their own. You could also try dichroic extract for that extra sparkle.
Old 2016-07-02, 8:20am

I'm scared of etching solutions too, so I tumble etch, and the only ones that turned out rather ugly were the dark brown beer bottles. Coke, Mountain Dew and various wine bottles all look like lovely sea glass.

Old 2016-07-02, 8:50am

This is so cool! Thanks!
Old 2016-07-02, 6:03pm
FatCat Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish915 View Post
I'm scared of etching solutions too, so I tumble etch, and the only ones that turned out rather ugly were the dark brown beer bottles. Coke, Mountain Dew and various wine bottles all look like lovely sea glass.
I know this is off-topic, but I discovered the same sort of thing a couple of weeks ago. I made a whole bunch of single-color transparent cats and (acid) etched them. The dark amber was the only one that didn't have a satiny smooth finish. You suppose it's something about the color, or just a coincidence?

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2016-07-03, 6:16am

I tried tumble etching a piece of the red glass and it became a deep dusty rose color. I'm going to try some beads made with it and use freshwater pearls and silver spacers to see how it looks as a bracelet design.

Andrea
NE Missouri
Old 2016-07-03, 8:31am

Maybe the amber was a harder glass and needs a longer soak in the solution; I can only guess.

Btw, Andrea, what sort of bottle is that red one? I'm always on the lookout for new colors. That's how this thread got started, actually--me begging the forums for an empty Casa Noble Tequila Anejo bottle, which is purple.
Old 2016-07-04, 3:53am

Robin, the red bottle was a Muscovado Sparkling Rose' that we got at Sam's club. I will try to get the name of it for you. It's one of those big thick bottom ones in a lovely deep cherry red. The wine was pretty good at a picnic outing last summer. Time to find some more.

Andrea
NE Missouri
Old 2016-07-04, 7:56pm

As much as I love melting glass, the thought of taking a piece of depression glassware and breaking it up just tears my heart. That glass is art from our past. Even the so called factory pressed glass is precious to so many people. Get empties from the local bar or neighbor but leave the antiques alone.
Old 2016-07-05, 10:12am

Yeah. I won't use dishware unless it's already broken. To me, the whole point of recycling glass is trash to treasure without doing further harm.
Old 2016-07-05, 11:21am

Here are the 2 teal blue wine bottle I plan to recycle into beads.
Attached Images

Old 2016-07-05, 11:24am

Here's the other one
Attached Images

Old 2016-07-05, 4:20pm
Ad astra per aspera

I love this thread! Thank you Robin.

I started messing with recycled bottle glass in 1997. My true love was the cobalt blue of Arizona Iced Tea bottles of the time. I drank a bottle almost daily, and I would cut them up on a weekend once a month. I would cut the bottom off, then the curved upper part, then cut the remaining cylinder into strips. My ex would sometimes help, and really had the knack for tapping the strips without a lot of splinters and such. I really miss that color, it was a slightly lighter blue than the usual Effetre transparent cobalt.

We just bought a bottle of Bombay Sapphire. I'm setting that aside!

I wonder about the Biliner water bottles. I keep seeing their ads and the color reminds me of the Arizona tea.

Old 2016-10-20, 10:00am

Thank so much for this post! I will definitely start using some reclaimed glass.
Old 2016-10-26, 10:26am

Well, folks, I finally got my hands on the reason that this thread got started: a purple Casa Noble Anejo bottle. Color's fake, drat it, a mere spray-on of paint. Bah. I hate cheats like that. You'd think that they'd spring for the real thing when a single measure of their product costs $60.00 or more. By the way, the best method of telling whether or not a bottle has been colored like that is to look at its base. The glass there is thicker than anywhere else in the bottle, usually, especially in odd-shaped bottles, and therefore will appear much darker than the rest of the glass if the color's real. If the bottle's already empty, have a look down through the neck; the edges of the bottom will appear lighter in color than the rest of the bottle, or even clear if it's been painted. Then you may sulk.

Small rant done. The bottle has other uses, but not ones that I'm set up for. It came with the box and is whole and undamaged, labels intact, cork still present, and it still smells like tequila. Is anyone out there willing to pay $25.00 to own it all for themselves? That's what I paid for it, shipping included. PM me if you're interested.
Old 2016-10-29, 3:44pm
Dix Harrison

Found this pic...would credit if I knew who?
Attached Images

Old 2016-11-29, 4:48pm

It was worth joining this forum just for this post. It's all downhill from here.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom. This is EXACTLY the reason I'm learning lampwork.
Old 2016-11-29, 4:51pm

Default Best method for cutting a glass bottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post
I would cut the bottom off, then the curved upper part, then cut the remaining cylinder into strips.
If I may ask, what was/is your method for cutting the strips? I'm super new to this.
Old 2016-11-29, 10:53pm

Thanks for sharing this. 😊
Old 2016-11-30, 4:01pm

Glad you're all enjoying the thread, folks. It's fun for me, too! Recently tried another color, by the way:

Tangueray London Dry Gin

Stiff and slow to work, but otherwise well-behaved. Like many other bottles, it devitrifies slightly on the outer surface and tends to scum a little if heated too fast. Color is very similar to both the Volcano Lemon and the Sprite, standing just between them in hue, and is a little less yellow. A good substitute for either, and very nice on its own.

A lady I know who works at a restaurant gave me a huge empty gin bottle in return for a bracelet made from the resulting beads. That's another good source, by the way. If you've got a favorite pub or a restaurant with a decent selection of hooch, you can ask them for their empties.
Old 2016-11-30, 5:53pm

Robin, re the scum, did we talk about the vinegar soak for glass to remove oil/scum/etc? It seems to work a charm on clear glass, so might be worth the effort here.
Old 2016-12-01, 11:29am

Nope. Tell us all about it!
Old 2016-12-01, 5:02pm

I'm pretty sure I read it on the forum here, but they were just soaking grungy clear in vinegar, preferably hot, to remove the scum from handling/manufacture/shipping. It worked better than rubbing alcohol or any other surface removal because it got down into the surface scratches. I think there was a DH glass that didn't like it, but for every other clear, go for it.
Old 2016-12-01, 7:24pm

Sounds interesting. That would probably work very well with bottle colors. How long are the bottles soaked for? What kind of vinegar was it, and did they dilute it with water?
Old 2016-12-01, 8:41pm

I think it was just cheap white vinegar, non-diluted, soak until you can't stand the smell anymore. Maybe somebody will chime in who was also reading that thread.
Old 2016-12-01, 9:11pm

Is this the one you mean? http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...g+scummy+clear
I have tried the stuff that Squid mentions in post #12 for some scummy effetre clear and it did help quite a bit.