LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2018-07-25, 5:20pm

Default How long to tell if glass is not compatible?

I recently bought CiM clear glass and it's awful. Scummiest glass ever, so looks like I will just use it as filler. In creating my little implosion stud earrings, I dug in my stash of other clear, and came across ASK Clear. Must have purchased in a garage sale at some point, as I have never heard of it.

But oh my... it's the best ever! Super clear, melted like a dream, best implosions ever. Later i looked it up and found it on Arrow Springs, ready to order more. But it says it's not compatible with all 104coe.

Anyway, my studs came out of the kiln looking great this morning, still looking great this evening. So, if it IS incompatible - how long before I can tell? Would it crack right away?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

follow me on Instagram @tinkercreekcreations
Old 2018-07-25, 5:54pm
Loving learning

Not necessarily, but maybe someone else knows if size makes a difference.
Old 2018-07-25, 6:16pm

You can make a cheap polariscope. Here's one how-to
http://www.davebross.com/GlassTech/polariscope.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2018-07-25, 7:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
You can make a cheap polariscope. Here's one how-to
http://www.davebross.com/GlassTech/polariscope.html
Interesting! Thank you!

Old 2018-07-26, 6:44am

I made a large batch of flower beads using some 90 COE mixed with 104. They were fine when I packed them up, about a month after I made them. When I rediscovered them a few years later, they were all cracked but a few.
Old 2018-07-26, 7:58am

The problem with the ASK glass is that Kugler makes no assertion on compatibility other than to say their glass is within X range, and compatibility testing is up to the artist. While I think that is generally true for all glass, the Kugler 104 line had many issues. That is why Arrow Springs got out of the partnership. They had wonderful colors, some of which were not even compatible with themselves batch by batch. I think using it would be a gamble.
Old 2018-07-26, 10:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish915 View Post
I recently bought CiM clear glass and it's awful. Scummiest glass ever, so looks like I will just use it as filler.
Have you tried pickling the CIM clear? I've had good results even just wiping down super nasty Devardi glass with white vinegar and paper towels.
Old 2018-07-26, 1:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatrix View Post
Have you tried pickling the CIM clear? I've had good results even just wiping down super nasty Devardi glass with white vinegar and paper towels.
I may have to give that a try! Even flame cutting the tiniest bit after encasing leaves a small trace of scum and bubbles.

Old 2018-07-26, 1:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
The problem with the ASK glass is that Kugler makes no assertion on compatibility other than to say their glass is within X range, and compatibility testing is up to the artist. While I think that is generally true for all glass, the Kugler 104 line had many issues. That is why Arrow Springs got out of the partnership. They had wonderful colors, some of which were not even compatible with themselves batch by batch. I think using it would be a gamble.
Such a shame... it worked beautifully. And now I know why it's so cheap on their site. Think I shall stay far away. Thank goodness I didn't create a huge batch of earrings! I'll set them aside for now.

Old 2018-07-26, 3:47pm

I love the greens soooo much. I still use my stash of silver cinnamon, silver rattan and whatever that apple something or other was. caramel apple? But I don't sell my work.

The greens are what I remember being incompatible with the same color from batch to batch, and then the clear being problematic with many things.
Old 2018-08-14, 10:14am

I hope Alexx Cheng doesn't mind if I share this tip from him that he shared to everyone at the Frantz Art Glass Bash this past weekend:
To de-scum scummy glass, use 200-220 grit wet sandpaper with water and sand the rod. then wash it off. The rod will look frosted until you introduce it into the flame, then wa-la clear glass. I haven't tried it yet but I have tons of yucky clear from over the years, I'm going to give it a go.
Old 2018-08-16, 11:29am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I hope Alexx Cheng doesn't mind if I share this tip from him that he shared to everyone at the Frantz Art Glass Bash this past weekend:
To de-scum scummy glass, use 200-220 grit wet sandpaper with water and sand the rod. then wash it off. The rod will look frosted until you introduce it into the flame, then wa-la clear glass. I haven't tried it yet but I have tons of yucky clear from over the years, I'm going to give it a go.
Thank you! I will have to give it a try

Old 2018-08-30, 4:09pm

It is not unusual for objects that have inherent compatibility issues to survive for many years. Time is NOT a good indication of compatibility
Old 2018-09-10, 9:58pm
Naysayer

^true
And wasn't some of it ok for awhile? Can try a pull test too.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1663