Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-07-08, 10:05am
Living Life Creatively

Default Fence Railing in WA?

Hi everyone! *Ü*

I've been searching everywhere for the railing to make those 3-compartment glass storage bins, but can't find them at any Home D. or Lowe's near me (Maple Valley, WA). Does anyone know where I can find it locally?

Thanks!
Lori
Old 2008-07-11, 9:26am
Just me

Hi Lori,
I live in the Tri-Cities and ended up getting some at Muffet & Sons. Nice people. Not exactly near you but try some local fence people and see what you find.
Here's a snippet of a post I wrote in another thread about what I did to get some fencing for my glass storage.
Quote:
I went to Home Depot and found the vinyl fence rails. In our area, it cost $16.89 for a 16ft length and we'd have to cut it in the parking lot (they won't cut plastic for you) just to get it to fit in our full sized chevy blazer and get it home. It would cost about $80.00 to get as many pieces as I need.

So I did some calling around to fencing places, just to see if I could get scrap pieces. I found a place that will sell me 3ft pieces for $1.25 each and we can fit them in our vehicle! In addition they'd said they could cut and clean it for me for a little more. I didn't even ask how much because we can do that ourselves. So I'm getting 75 feet of 2X6 vinyl fence rail for $31.25.
Here's my whole post if you want to look, there's a link at the bottom to make a tool caddy from the left over scrap pieces.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=49
I hope you find someone who puts up vinyl fences in your area and get some scrap too. Many of the pieces I got were quite a bit longer than 3 feet so I was able to get more out of what they sold me than anticipated.
Best of luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2008-07-11 at 9:31am.
Old 2008-07-12, 12:31am
Old to LE, new to torch

Huge stack of fence rails in our local Home Depot in Liberty Lake (Spokane) Wa.

I work a graveyard shift, so if I don't answer posts/pms right away, it's because I'm sleeping, not being rude
Old 2008-07-13, 12:43am
Frustrated Artist

I know Ziggys carries it also here in Spokane. CIndy I am right across the river from you. Another thing to try is to call Fencing companies and ask them about their scraps.
Old 2008-07-13, 12:45am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriB View Post
Hi everyone! *Ü*

I've been searching everywhere for the railing to make those 3-compartment glass storage bins, but can't find them at any Home D. or Lowe's near me (Maple Valley, WA). Does anyone know where I can find it locally?

Thanks!
Lori
They have it at the HD in Aberdeen. I bought was just there.
Old 2008-07-13, 7:00am

Did you try McLendon's Hardware. They are family owned and may have it. I live in Kent. Hi neighbor.
Old 2008-07-13, 10:45am
I'm meeeeelting

Contact a nearby Lowe's store. They'll order it for you.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2008-07-14, 4:35am
Old to LE, new to torch

BBB, we should get together some time.

I work a graveyard shift, so if I don't answer posts/pms right away, it's because I'm sleeping, not being rude
Old 2008-07-15, 12:06pm
Living Life Creatively

Thanks everyone for all your helpful info! I just got back from vacation, so sorry if I couldn't get back to check this thread sooner.

BubbyAnne—I'll definitely have to check out your tool caddy idea, but I couldn't find it with that link. If you wouldn't mind emailing me at ashlyndesign@comcast.net, maybe we could get it to work?

Vanityfaire—I'm going to try that McLendon's place this week and see if I can snag some, thanks so much!

*Ü* Lori
Old 2008-07-16, 11:17pm
Just me

Hi Lori,
Here's the actual image of the tool caddy that Joanie (Flaming Idiot at WC and Imelt4U here @ LE) made, taken from that thread.

Here is one of the two I made for myself. (front and side view)
This one is for my tools the other is temporarily holding some glass.
As you can see I added magnet strips on the side to hold my smaller tools that might get lost inside the caddy compartments. I now use the bottom long compartments (empty in the pic) to hold my punties and chop sticks. Oh and it's a lot fuller now as these images are old and I've gotten a ton of tools now.
Sorry for the lousy images, it's all I had right off hand.

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2008-07-16 at 11:51pm.
Old 2008-07-16, 11:26pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbyanne View Post
Hi Lori,
Here's the actual image of the tool caddy that Joanie (Flaming Idiot at WC) made, taken from that thread.

Ooo...I needs me that. I'm making one of those. Thanks for showing that.
Old 2008-07-16, 11:39pm
Just me

Pretty cool huh Kevan,
It's so nice to have all my tools organized and the best thing was I didn't have to cut any pieces especially for these caddies I made because they were the scrap from my glass storage. It just worked out that the pieces were the right size.
Kudos to Joanie for showing these in that thread. Really quite inventive of her, I must say.

Old 2008-07-17, 6:35pm
Living Life Creatively

Yeah! Thanks so much for posting the pics here! I'm hoping to pick up some railing this weekend and my hubby has already been warned I've got a long "honey do" list for him! LOL Great idea for storing and sorting all the little rod scraps I've been collecting!
*Ü* Lori
Old 2008-07-17, 6:37pm
Living Life Creatively

Oops! I forgot to ask...I haven't decided whether to cut my rails down to 12" or 13" lengths. Do you guys have an opinion as to which is easier to store you glass in—do you like it hanging out a tad, or is it best to put the entire rod inside to avoid dust??
Thanks!
Old 2008-07-17, 9:00pm
Just me

I cut mine 13" so I wouldn't have any rods sticking out. I'm a clutz and didn't want to be knocking my hand on them. Mine were cut from scrap so I could cut them that long because I was going to have left over pieces anyway. I've had no trouble getting my rods out either.

I think most cut theirs in 12" because the rails come in 16 foot lengths and you can get the most out of your purchase that way. I could be wrong though, it's been known to happen before.

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2008-07-17 at 9:05pm.
Old 2008-07-18, 5:38pm

I couldn't find that fence railing here, but I will say that rain gutters work very, very well,and they're cheap.
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2008-07-20, 1:00pm
Living Life Creatively

Yippee! Just wanted to let everyone know I found some in the Lacey Home Depot store, and they even cut it in half for me to put in the car! ;-D
Old 2008-07-20, 2:08pm
Just me

Glad you found some. You'll have to share a pic of your storage once you're done and maybe even once you've loaded it all up.
Have fun!

Old 2008-07-20, 2:15pm
Gay rights R human rights

I have mine cut 12" but my cabinet is 14" deep. That way if some are 13" i wont snag them when I walk by.

bravo torch with 2 ex20's