LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2021-12-03, 12:49am

Default Need help with my punty’s (hot/cold seals)…!

So im new to lampworking, & have been working on my marbles recently since it teachs you how to create a “Gather”, & a gradual hot to cold punty connection, but as I work towards the last couple punty connections, I cant seem to get the easy “tap on the corner of your workbench”, or “tap with the end of your tweezers” clean break of the older punty. Usually it just wnds up either breaking off the new cold seal connection first, or the seal im trying to take off ends up breaking and leaving a good chunk of glass on the marble and then im right back to the same step i was just on with my marble. Any suggestions on how i can fix this? Is it because i am getting the entire marble too hot after i attach the new punty or what do you all think? Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 2021-12-03, 9:13am
dances with ideas...

Hello, and welcome! You’re starting out with an ambitious goal! What kind of glass are you using?

I haven’t made a marble for many years, so I can’t be of much help. I’m sure others will chime in. But you could practice on a blob of glass (not spend time and effort making a nice marble).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2021-12-03, 10:02am

First - use a good marble mold, makes life so much easier

Second - Cold/hot seals are actually a range but basically the colder the punty is, the lighter the bond. I usually warm my marble and get my punty very hot, then wait a sec and attach. The waiting allows me to see the color and wait for the perfect moment to attach for the seal type I want.
Example - warm marble with white-hot punty will take a piece of marble with it (partial hot seal)
2nd example - glowing hot marble with cooler punty will leave a piece of punty on the marble (partial hot seal)
3rd example - warm marble and cooler punty (clean break due to cold seal)

Third - Crack off your old punty while the new one you attached is still soft and mobile. This prevents the new one from breaking off from the shock.

Last - Yes, your puntys are welding to the marble if you get the punty side too hot which makes them difficult to remove. Only heat one side of the marble at a time then switch punty and work another side. Some people do as many as 5-6 switches like that to get it perfectly round.
Old 2021-12-03, 10:50am

I would ask what glass you are using as well. I work in 104 and say that cold seals do take a bit of practice to get down, but once you do it is much easier. You might do a marble and then just heat, attach and tap off several times to help get the “feel” for the heat needed.

Also, be prepared to jump up. I have had a hot ball of glass roll across my table more than once due to a seal that was too cold.
Old 2021-12-05, 1:19am

I am working with boro btw, & thanks everyone! Rcktscientist your explanation was very very helpful too btw!!