Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-06-20, 6:24am

Default Glass label suckage

I like to label all of my rods. The labels I have gotten in the past year are terrible. They don't even stick to themselves or envelopes. I use Avery 5167 or equivalent 3M or Office Depot brand. All terrible. This is some recent change; they worked great a few years ago.

Putting labels on rods is the only thing that keeps me sane while I wait for the kiln to ramp down. Oh, and putting them in "color" order. Basically just fondling glass...
Old 2015-06-20, 9:19am
Phill

I think some one used alcohol or nail polish remover to reactivate the glue on price tags. Maybe that will work here.

Sounds like you got a hold of some very old stock.
Old 2015-06-20, 9:37am
Everlasting Fire Studio

I just use either price tags, or cut up pieces of paper, and tape them on there. Since we label them to sell, it's faster for me and more reliable. I want to make sure they stay on, for us, and for whoever buys them.

Everlasting Fire Studio
5036 N. Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60625
Old 2015-06-20, 10:00am

Thanks. Maybe I will just add tape. I like to print them out, so like the sheets.

Phil, I don't think they could have all been old. I tried three brands - I think they changed adhesives. I had several of the address size come off my Christmas card envelopes this year too.

Whatever the Post Office uses? That stuff knows how to stick!
Old 2015-06-20, 10:15am
Loving learning

I got some with stickum problems too, but I thought it was because I got the ones made from recycled paper. I bet they did change the glue.
Old 2015-06-20, 10:16am
Loving learning

And I wish I knew how to make them print, but I don't, so I hand write on 1/2 label, then wrap them on & tape if necessary.
Old 2015-06-20, 10:45am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
And I wish I knew how to make them print, but I don't, so I hand write on 1/2 label, then wrap them on & tape if necessary.
I have a spreadsheet I use as a data source for a mail merge in Word. Do you use Excel and Word? I can send you my spreadsheet. I have to retrain myself om mail merge every time I do it.
Old 2015-06-20, 11:13am
Loving learning

I have a free version of some things (labeled document, presentation and spreadsheet) but don't know how to use them to make labels. I carefully refrained from learning that at work, so I didn't get sucked into doing that in addition to everything else I got pulled to help with because I knew how.
Old 2015-06-20, 11:44am

I spend my days with my face buried in spreadsheets. If you find somebody that can help you use it, I will be glad to send it along!

When I first started labeling them, I was using a Brother label maker. That got old real fast.
Old 2015-06-21, 5:20am
Peerless Thread Killer

Pilot silver pen. It shows up on any rod, and you can fuse the end onto the next rod.

Old 2015-06-21, 5:24am

Quote:
Originally Posted by neagle View Post
Pilot silver pen. It shows up on any rod, and you can fuse the end onto the next rod.
Thanks Neagle, I'll try a few to see if I have the patience to write it out. I order several lbs at a time, so not sure.
Old 2015-06-22, 5:33am
Peerless Thread Killer

You should only have to mark one rod since you would be fusing the end of the written-on rod to the next one.

Old 2015-06-22, 5:59am
Student!

I'm using a dymo label maker and the labels stick to themselves pretty well at the end of a rod.

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
Old 2015-06-22, 6:04am

Quote:
You should only have to mark one rod since you would be fusing the end of the written-on rod to the next one.
I want them all labeled. Even the ones I could recognize from the moon. Can't even really tell you why.
Old 2015-06-23, 4:44am
lurking on LE since 2005

Onlinelabels.com has an "aggressive glue" you can choose as a label adhesive that sticks REALLY well to cardboard (I use it for shipping) and I also got it in smaller labels for labeling my Czech rods. Lots of sizes to choose, and you can use them in your printer. I have used them in my laser printer as well as ink jet. And, they have a "wizard" to help you print what you want on the labels you buy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Last edited by Charmaine; 2015-06-23 at 4:47am.
Old 2015-06-23, 5:13am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmaine View Post
Onlinelabels.com has an "aggressive glue" you can choose as a label adhesive that sticks REALLY well to cardboard (I use it for shipping) and I also got it in smaller labels for labeling my Czech rods. Lots of sizes to choose, and you can use them in your printer. I have used them in my laser printer as well as ink jet. And, they have a "wizard" to help you print what you want on the labels you buy.
Thanks, I will look into those. Would those have been the labels on the tutorial and shampoo glass I got from you?
Old 2015-06-23, 6:35am
Button Queen

The last time I bought glass was a few years ago. At that time the Staples brand was working well, but the Avery ones weren't sticking at all. Really annoyed me. Kind of a bummer to learn that they're all bad now...
Old 2015-06-25, 6:46am
Unmedicated since '62

I find i need to give the end im labelling a quick wipe with glass cleaner, they get dirty and greasy during manufacture, storage and shipping

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2015-06-25, 5:21pm

I use finger nail polish...you can write on it with a sharpie. I also use different color polish on rod ends to code my colors when it's hard to distinguish what it is, like T yellow, or light ivory and dark ivory.
Old 2015-06-25, 6:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
I find i need to give the end im labelling a quick wipe with glass cleaner, they get dirty and greasy during manufacture, storage and shipping
It isn't really the glass that is the problem. They don't stay stuck to their own selves, so the ends are little flags.
Old 2015-06-25, 8:56pm
Glass-aholic

I use colored electrical tape. Works great! I write on it with pen or sharpie. I've taken to laying strips on a cutting board writing them out then taking a razor to slice them to size then wrap my rods. It comes in a zillion colors. I had found a big pack of yellow at a surplus store. That was perfect. you could choose a different color for every COE, or if you want each different brand of glass manufacturers too.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2015-06-26, 1:05am
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperdesigns View Post
I use finger nail polish...you can write on it with a sharpie. I also use different color polish on rod ends to code my colors when it's hard to distinguish what it is, like T yellow, or light ivory and dark ivory.
I do this also.

You need to find what CIM uses, I hate how well they stick when I'm at the torch and want one off
Old 2015-11-15, 6:03pm

Wanted to report that I ordered OL25AT from Online Labels and am very happy! They stick to the glass about the same as the old Avery labels, i.e, sometimes not too well and sometime way too well, but they do stick to themselves just fine. No more little flags or falling off labels.

I could not make their online mail merge work, but finally figured out that there is a template available in Word, if I change the label vendor when I select my template. The Avery template does NOT work.
Old 2015-11-15, 6:11pm
Loving learning

I labeled a bunch of glass recently, and I found out if I wiped the end of the rod with alcohol first it stuck to the rod much better. I forgot on a few, and those had a tendency to slide off.
Old 2015-12-09, 10:28pm
Dani

I use Brady self laminating write on labels. My husband uses them for labeling electrical wires. They are not inexpensive but I cut them in half. They will not come off until you want them to, then you just peel them off, no residue. Because they are self laminating the writing will not smudge, stays nice and crisp.
All of my life I have been searching for that thing that I cannot stand not to do, something that pulls me to it daily.Naturally when I finally find that thing that does indeed draw me to it (like a moth to a flame) It would of course have to involve explosive & toxic materials, fire and hot molten glass

Old 2015-12-10, 4:50am

Quote:
Actual silver colored ink? I guess it would show up pretty good on most colors then.
Gonna try that....
Thanks
Old 2015-12-19, 10:56am

I use a brother p touch, using labels made to go around electrical cord. I print off the labels, trim the excess off both sides, and use the 2 excess pieces to create 2 rings around the glass. Then I stick the label on top of these. It really seems to help the adhesion.
Old 2015-12-22, 12:08pm

I label every rod as well. Totally OCD. I use avery return address labels. They stick like glue, and I can just do a whole sheet on the computer, print, and stick.
Old 2015-12-22, 2:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by judydoell View Post
I label every rod as well. Totally OCD. I use avery return address labels. They stick like glue, and I can just do a whole sheet on the computer, print, and stick.
Avery, 3M and Office Depot return address labels all stopped working for me. I tried all of them within the last 18 months. But the Online Labels version is great!

Just for comparison's sake, I took some from the office that we purchased about 5 years ago - Avery - and they were still fine, so I do think there has been a change in the last couple of years.
Old 2015-12-22, 5:12pm
Loving learning

My recently purchased ones are fine if I wipe the end of the rod with alcohol before I put it on. There is often a greasy film on them for some reason, and I don't think anything much would stick on there before I wipe them off.