Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-07-26, 11:53am

Default simax rod blanks

ABR imagery just quoted me a price of $75 to cut one 38mm rod into 2.5" blanks. That doesn't include the glass itself or shipping. Can anybody else recommend an alternative place to get it? I don't have a tile saw, or the place to use one, so I would prefer to purchase the blanks ready to go.

Thanks

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-07-26, 12:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
ABR imagery just quoted me a price of $75 to cut one 38mm rod into 2.5" blanks. That doesn't include the glass itself or shipping. Can anybody else recommend an alternative place to get it? I don't have a tile saw, or the place to use one, so I would prefer to purchase the blanks ready to go.

Thanks
Is there a reason why you cannot cut them yourself using a simple rod cutter? I always buy cases and cut the rod to length using a nipper/cutter that has two circular blades. I cut both 18mm and 1" rod using this method. The tool was given to me by a friend so I dont know what they are called but I see them for sale everywhere and they work well. If I did not have access to a cutter, I would measure and score the rod using a file and then break them into blanks. I find that if I buy a sealed case, the rod is much cleaner without any scratches and dings then I used to get when I asked the retailer to cut to length.
Old 2012-07-26, 1:01pm

I'd get a quote from Art Glass House. Ron carries Simax as well and prices are on par for the glass itself with ABR.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-07-26, 1:34pm

Arrow

38 mm rod is pretty difficult to cut with either circular cutters or nippers. It's even more Difficult when you're trying to get them all exactly 2.5 inches long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Is there a reason why you cannot cut them yourself using a simple rod cutter? I always buy cases and cut the rod to length using a nipper/cutter that has two circular blades. I cut both 18mm and 1" rod using this method. The tool was given to me by a friend so I dont know what they are called but I see them for sale everywhere and they work well. If I did not have access to a cutter, I would measure and score the rod using a file and then break them into blanks. I find that if I buy a sealed case, the rod is much cleaner without any scratches and dings then I used to get when I asked the retailer to cut to length.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2012-07-26, 1:39pm

Quote:
38 mm rod is pretty difficult to cut with either circular cutters or nippers. It's even more Difficult when you're trying to get them all exactly 2.5 inches long.
Yup. The word "exactly" worries me.
Old 2012-07-26, 2:11pm

Mountain Glass Arts - http://www.mountainglass.com
Glasscraft, Inc. - http://www.glasscraftinc.com

Glasscraft is closer to you - might save you in shipping. Mountain Glass is on the east coast.
Old 2012-07-26, 2:12pm

Eric, this place is in Austin. http://www.heliosglass.com/index.htm
They rent their equipment. If I remember correctly, it's Paul Tarlow's place. Met him years ago, nice guy.
Don't see why you couldn't go in and use their saw.
And man....I want to go into the glass cutting business! I have 2 wetsaws in my shed just sitting there waiting for me to get rich on them. haha

Old 2012-07-26, 3:27pm

That is a really good idea. I know Paul. I will have to give him a call tomorrow. Thanks much.

Old 2012-07-27, 5:10am
Formerly Bakerman44

for $75 you could prob spend a little more and get a wet tile saw and slightly modify it to cut rod.

Old 2012-07-27, 6:28am
Pyromaniac

Quote:
ABR imagery just quoted me a price of $75 to cut one 38mm rod into 2.5" blanks.
Speaking as a roofer, if we want someone to go away, or if we feel they're not worth the effort, we throw them a high price to cover the annoyance factor if they decide to go with us anyway.

So umm, what did you do to them?

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-07-27, 6:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
Speaking as a roofer, if we want someone to go away, or if we feel they're not worth the effort, we throw them a high price to cover the annoyance factor if they decide to go with us anyway.

I spend a lot of money with ABR, so hopefully they want to keep me as a customer. LOL

Old 2012-07-27, 7:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post

They obviously dont want to be in the rod cutting business. I Dont blame them
Old 2012-07-27, 9:44am
Pyromaniac

Yeah, at three+ bucks a cut, they're doing pretty good if he goes for it.

Old 2012-07-27, 10:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
for $75 you could prob spend a little more and get a wet tile saw and slightly modify it to cut rod.
I was thinking that same thing, I bought one a couple years ago from one of the big box stores for $99
Old 2012-07-27, 11:07pm
Borovangelist

Heck, a cheapo saw you're intending to kill is less than 75.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-...saw-40315.html

You might consider asking a stone supplier if they can cut it for you. A saw that can laugh at marble and granite shouldn't have any issue with boro rod.

|
|
Old 2012-07-29, 11:39am

Get a tile saw from harbour freight http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-...tray-3733.html
and replace the blade with a diamond coated rock cutting lapidary blade. I have used this setup for years and it works awesome. The saw even has a gate you can use to set the exact size you want to cut. I got mine for around fifty bucks on sale, and had a 20% off coupon...
Don't cut all the way through the rod just about 1/3 to 1/2 way through and snap off ... really easy...

Old 2012-07-29, 4:07pm

I would have cut that for you but the boys took all my 38mm to the shop and melted it
in the crucibles for their clear and I only have 31.7 in stock and smaller sizes.
I can ask if Trev has any at the shop and let you know...

Old 2012-07-31, 6:24am

it's the deathly effect cutting up 1 1/2" rod has on a blade also. we have a 24" blade, and they are not cheap. it also takes an employee a looong time to set the saw up, cut a whole rod up in little pieces, etc....

we have people that pay that for jobs all the time. it's simply what it's worth to us.

Old 2012-07-31, 7:07am

Tile saw and Hot Dawg blade....

Old 2012-07-31, 9:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR Dave View Post
it's the deathly effect cutting up 1 1/2" rod has on a blade also. we have a 24" blade, and they are not cheap. it also takes an employee a looong time to set the saw up, cut a whole rod up in little pieces, etc....

we have people that pay that for jobs all the time. it's simply what it's worth to us.
I have had it done a number of times by ABR, and each time the price goes up. At $2 a cut I could justify it. But $3 a cut is a 50% increase in price in less than a year, and that seems excessive. Still, it is your business and your decision in the end. The economy is tough enough on full time lampworkers right now, and I have to watch every penny, so I guess I will be buying a tile saw at Home Depot this week.

Old 2012-07-31, 9:31am

Eric, check craigslist in your area for wetsaws before you go to Home Depot. Sometimes you can get stuff for barter. The continuous rim blades that come with them can cut glass, there is more waste because of the larger thickness but they can do the job.

eta- http://austin.craigslist.org/tls/3152885415.html

ps- I have a 7" MK Hot Dog blade with a 5/8" arbor that I'd trade for a small pendant or something. Just sayin'.

Last edited by Three Muses Glass; 2012-07-31 at 9:39am. Reason: add link
Old 2012-07-31, 10:25am

Quote:

Understood, Dave. Dont think anyone was suggesting otherwise. It is a pain in the #$$ to cut whole rods down like this.
Old 2012-07-31, 10:43am
Pyromaniac

Oh, I don't know, I was kinda busting chops, personally. In a friendly way, but yeah.

Old 2012-07-31, 4:59pm

Quote:

A 24" blade?!? Holy crap. What the heck kind of ginormous machine you got there anyway?

Anyway, I still don't see what the BFD is. I used to make big fat long pattern bars and cut them into 1/4" slices so that's probably why I don't get it. To each their own.

Old 2012-08-01, 6:41am

it's solid clear 1 1/2" rod. it's a whole other deal than cutting tubing, or pattern rods in slices. the reason your price went up, was that the 2nd time we did it, it killed our blade. so, it is a BFD, if we lose money on an order.

so, in retrospect, we should've charged more to start with, but we were trying to help you out. which unfortunately resulted in this thread. we can't lose money on stuff though, i think everyone would understand that. so, sorry it didn't work out.

Old 2012-08-01, 9:04am
Cave Dweller

A 24" sintered diamond blade designed to cut rocks is killed by glass with a hardness of 5-6 ??

LOL... Maybe if it was run dry...

Old 2012-08-01, 11:00am
Run Free Sweet Boy

Quote:

no shit, thats what I was thinking... time is oney and cutting that many thick slices is a PITA

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2012-08-01, 11:45am

Quote:
it's solid clear 1 1/2" rod. it's a whole other deal than cutting tubing, or pattern rods in slices. the reason your price went up, was that the 2nd time we did it, it killed our blade. so, it is a BFD, if we lose money on an order.

so, in retrospect, we should've charged more to start with, but we were trying to help you out. which unfortunately resulted in this thread. we can't lose money on stuff though, i think everyone would understand that. so, sorry it didn't work out.
This is pretty un-professional. Now your going to blame the customer for something they had no control over. WOW

It's simple go somewhere else many others have been pushed away like this also.
Old 2012-08-01, 12:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedToroBoro View Post
This is pretty un-professional. Now your going to blame the customer for something they had no control over. WOW

It's simple go somewhere else many others have been pushed away like this also.
Wow. Where did that bs get regurgitated from? Take the crap elsewhere. Some of us were just trying to help emort get the job done.
Old 2012-08-01, 6:06pm

Let's just all let this thread die. It was only intended as a way of gathering information about how to solve my situation. It wasn't meant to turn into a witch hunt. Let's all just chill out about it. Thanks much. -- Eric