Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-06-20, 10:37am
Just a Muggle

Default Ivory

K, I am confusing myself. (It really doesn't take much these days). What is really the difference between light ivory and dark ivory? (beside the shade of course)
Monica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-06-20, 2:07pm

I've wondered that, myself. From the small amounts of each that I have, the dark ivory seems to be more "reactive" with other colors. It also seems to separate a bit when heated a lot, giving you that "organic" look that everyone loves. Sometimes mine separates into pools of opaque/translucent. Is there more?
Old 2012-06-20, 4:22pm
Glass-aholic

Dk webs easier when cooked, but it is really a batch thing. Some light does really well reaction and webbing wise compared to the dk. And some dk has a more maple syrup glaze that is super awesome too. It's like honey smeered through our your bead when you make it makes me happy just thinking about it! Lol

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-06-21, 8:18am
Just a Muggle

Thanks Laci and Jaci. I guess I was overthinking this. I thought you hade to use one kind with DH another kind for SIS and and so on.
thanks Monica

Old 2012-06-21, 1:27pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I get very confused, too.
So far, I've ordered Dark Ivory with every glass purchase - I use quite a lot of it. But I can't get any of it to go that lovely crackle. I recently bought a so-called Curdled Ivory however it's exactly the same as much of the ordinary DI I already had. Oh well.

Then, I recently bought some Vetro DI, which I've never seen before - it's a pinkish/caramel, smooth and shiny rod, which I can't wait to have a go at. It's lovely in rod form, so hopefully it's yet another option in bead form.
I've kind of given up on trying to sort it all out, and they all live in the same cubbyhole now!

But the little bit of LI I have is different - it's much paler, but I've only got one or two rods of that.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-06-22, 9:22am
Glass-aholic

If its not webbing your not getting it hot enough or cooking it long enough. Try taking your curdled ivory make a small bead, put a small stripe of coral and hair thin trail of intense black. Gravity swirl and shape. Squish it a little into a tab shape. Repeat lol. You will see.crazy webbing and cool stuff with the ivory. It's also easy to get the webbing with just a tiny bit of the black or a tiny amount of silver or glass with silver in it. Just trail hair thin wraps onto the ivory and cook it. Let the bead swallow the glass trails. You will still get some great webbing on the ivory. Sometimes a light reduction flame will also aid in getting the surface all messed up especially to fume out the silver in DH glass.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2012-06-22 at 9:25am.
Old 2012-06-22, 5:35pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Jaci, thank you - I started making beads for the first time on my new oxy setup yesterday, and tried it. With a bit of help form some SIS, it sure did its thing

SRA# P107
Old 2012-06-22, 5:39pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by essiemessy View Post
I get very confused, too.
So far, I've ordered Dark Ivory with every glass purchase - I use quite a lot of it. But I can't get any of it to go that lovely crackle. I recently bought a so-called Curdled Ivory however it's exactly the same as much of the ordinary DI I already had. Oh well.

Then, I recently bought some Vetro DI, which I've never seen before - it's a pinkish/caramel, smooth and shiny rod, which I can't wait to have a go at. It's lovely in rod form, so hopefully it's yet another option in bead form.
I've kind of given up on trying to sort it all out, and they all live in the same cubbyhole now!

But the little bit of LI I have is different - it's much paler, but I've only got one or two rods of that.
I cannot remember, are you on a hothead? I ask as you need to get the glass hot. Any ways, slap some silver glass on top of the dark ivory and watch the magic happen.

Old 2012-06-22, 5:43pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Jacqueline, we must have posted at the same time
See above Wheee!

SRA# P107
Old 2012-06-22, 7:52pm
Just a Muggle

Di... are you enjoying the quiet? To me that was the best part of switching from a HH.

Old 2012-06-22, 8:10pm
Happy Inner Dragon

What?

Oh yes indeedy I am. I couldn't believe that it doesn't make a sound. I can bring music into the shed, now! I'll be able to actually hear it

SRA# P107
Old 2012-06-22, 9:53pm
Just a Muggle

I had to use noise cancelling headphones with a mp3 player when I was on the HH. It worked really well .
Monica

Old 2012-06-23, 10:26am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Curdled vs. Dark: the curdled was a special one-time batch. You can tell true curdled ivory by the sparkles that show in it when you are working it. Frantz has had more dark ivory coming in and still calls it curdled, but there are no sparkles. It's a very nice dark ivory though.
Old 2012-06-25, 1:23am

Default curlding your own ivory !

Hi, I was on a hot head for 10 years before getting my mega minor, !! yes it was a noisy but awesome little torch I still teach all my classes with them ! to get my ivory to curdle nicely on the HH I found that it had to move... droop, twirl, whatever but it must physically get both hot enough to droop and then actually do the droop as well. A combo of enough heat, and the movement worked.... helps if you have a catalyst like silver or Intense black, but really, the main thing to make sure you have it hot enough is to make it drippy, droopy almost out of control....... on the mega minor I use the same process, but soooooo much quicker !!
Old 2012-06-25, 7:58am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Oops - forgot to add that I find light ivory to be creamy but not nearly as much variation in the color. Dark ivory is much less predictable and much more reactive. I use a process similar to what Kerry describes and that works well for me too.