Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-12-03, 12:03am

Default What do you sit on to torch??

Dilemma. I currently have a wood stool I sit on to torch. It is slightly too high for my "ideal" working height but it suffices.

I'm thinking of getting a height adjustable bar stool (ideally with back) ... my dilemma ... Should I get arms or will they just be in the way???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-12-03, 12:53am
Dynamic Duo

Quick answer - I sit on my butt.

We both user adjustable task type chairs, both on rollers. No arms, they would get in the way, IMHO. You need at time to get your bead into the flame from all sorts of angles.

One of our chairs is sold as an office chair, and the other is one with a tractor style seat. They both have backs, though I don't think that our backs ae in contact with them as we torch.

The rollers are nice for us as our glass stock is behind us and kiln off to the side. Just kind of roll from the torch to grab what is needed or put bead in kiln.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-12-03, 8:34am
Corgi Cult Member

When I had a pinched nerve in my shoulder, it became very important to have just the right chair. I settled on a high quality office chair that adjusted higher than most and paired it with a stool for my feet. Mine does not have arms so they don't interfere with the creation station. Good luck on your search, the right chair can make a big difference.

Old 2014-12-03, 9:21am

I got a chair from a laboratory equipment supplier. Thickly padded, durable, fully adjustable, has arms, easy to clean, and antibacterial. Flame- and chemical-resistant, too, which is sort of important if you're playing with fire, sharp objects, and etching medium. I highly recommend those, and no, I can't remember who I got it from, alas.
Old 2014-12-03, 9:31am

I too am using an office chair. I really wanted to use my ball chair but that just conjures up major AFV moments and don't want to go there.....
especially with webcam in studio.

(AFV) America's Funniest Videos
Old 2014-12-03, 9:49am

Thank's folks. I'm looking at height adjustable bar stools which led me to arms or no arms. My inkling was no arms but then I though ... hmmm might be nice to brace an elbow.

I'm looking to bring my studio home and plan to have custom built bar height work area for torch and cutting glass and also a durable 2 x 4 table in the center for other glassey projects ... so I'd like to change the height. There are also times with fibro ... I might want a different height for what ails me on a given day.

So definitely no arms. That solves that.

I'd love to have really cushioned chair but figure I will burn holes in it at some point. Ask me how many times I've knocked over the current stool ... jumping out of the way when a pendant has popped off the punty. LOL

Old 2014-12-03, 11:54am
Loving learning

I have a 2nd hand task chair on rollers, no arms, and it goes higher than normal since I made my work surface so I could stand if I wanted. DH made me a simple wooden foot rest to use with it since my feet don't touch the floor.
Old 2014-12-03, 1:13pm

I stand up....I'm short and my torch (HH) is on a butcher block table...probably not the answer you are looking for. I do have a stool but I don't like the height.
Old 2014-12-03, 1:49pm
Must..have..more...glass

I've got one of these: https://www.petedge.com/zpetedgemain...c-locale=en_US . Love the paw prints on it. I've had it about four years and haven't burned any holes in it yet. I think they also have some styles with backs on them.

Facebook:
Old 2014-12-03, 2:22pm
AKA Annan Designs

I use a massage chair (wheels, no arms). Adjustable height, lots of cushion (yes, I have burned a small hole in the leather when I dropped a marble off the punty).

Peg
Old 2014-12-03, 6:43pm

Office chair here, with back, on wheels and fully adjustable. I don't think my back ever touches the chair back though.

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2014-12-03, 7:23pm

If you like your chair and the only issue is the height then the answer is simple.If it is 1inch too high, then cut I inch off the bottom of the legs.
Old 2014-12-04, 8:53am

I use a drafting chair. Very reasonably priced,has rollers, and arms (which no nt seem to get in the way) and it has aring for the feet. Very comfy.
Old 2014-12-05, 12:48am

My bench is higher than a normal desk .... I've not long bought a draughtsmans chair on wheels .. It has arms but they don't get in my way ... It also has a bar for my feet!

Love it
Old 2014-12-08, 12:07pm

I also use a drafting chair on wheels so I can roll out to the kiln.
Old 2014-12-08, 12:08pm

My bench is counter height. It is an Ikea island.