Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-10-13, 6:43am

Default 1st batch streaky pink ?

I saw this on Ebay -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE:IT&ih=007

It is from the first batch of streaky pink. I was wondering if anyone knew how to tell if you have this and not the regular pink? Also, if anyone knows why this is all that special?
Old 2007-10-13, 11:12am
It's all about the color.

I'm going to hazard a guess that since it's being sold by FosterFireGlass, it's probably the real thing.
I just dropped Robin a PM so perhaps she'll drop in and let us know for sure if it's really her or not selling this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Listenup; 2007-10-13 at 11:17am.
Old 2007-10-13, 11:15am
The Crazy One

I would agree with Kay. The way to tell is via an end shot of the glass, they should look like this:

Picture by Shawn Turner
Old 2007-10-13, 11:19am
The Crazy One

Here's a great thread on Streaky Pink ID:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...t=streaky+pink
Old 2007-10-13, 11:37am
on hiatus...

I participated in a raffle here on LE and "won" the streaky pink that was offered. The rods were not round, more oval in shape. They did have a line of pink running down the side and were light colored.

It wasn't streaky pink, I was so bummed. But it wasn't the fault of the person holding the raffle, and the person donating the color said she thought it was the real thing too... what's a girl to do.

If I buy it now, I will ask the person to strike one of the ends, just to be sure.

In this case, I think the auction is authentic and seeing the label is a pretty good indicator too!!

Streaky pink turns a nice bubblegum pink.. yummy

Last edited by Steph'sBeadCorner; 2007-10-13 at 11:40am.
Old 2007-10-13, 11:42am

Just once I'd like to have some, and know it. Had I not just ordered from 2 vendors I'd be bidding. I am about positive I had some years ago and didn't strike it right.

Good luck to whom ever wins.
Old 2007-10-13, 11:46am
The Crazy One

I bid as a show of faith that it is the original. I am not delusional, I don’t think I’ll win… But if I do I have a friend that would enjoy this glass and I’m starting to think of Christmas!
Old 2007-10-13, 12:00pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

It is me selling it and it's the real thing. The rods are even the oblong ones. I have hoarded it for awhile and when my stoopid oxy croaked again I figured it was a sign.
Old 2007-10-13, 12:23pm
Burn baby, burn

It was probably missing the bead release and gave up the ghost after you took away it's playmate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
. . .when my stoopid oxy croaked again I figured it was a sign.
Old 2007-10-13, 12:57pm
Established Thinker I Am

I don't think there was more than one batch of this stuff though. I believe there was just one lot that took a while to be sold. It was kind of the start of the odd lot craze. I know I ordered one pound and was able to order more months later. No one knew what it was until it was just about gone.

l
l
l
Old 2007-10-13, 12:59pm

I think Lisa is on to something. Time to think of a new playmate for the oxygen Robin.
Old 2007-10-13, 1:25pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

There is still plenty of bead release dust to keep it company!

No, this is the third repair to the brand new unit in under a year. The last repiar was just before the Gathering, the one before that just before Tucson Best Bead Show and now this one just after I get home from teaching in Texas. I should have just used a "Y" conector on 2 of the 5 lpm models and I would have lived happily ever after. Now that I have spent $2000 I want my money's worth. ("wah!" she said and stomped her foot in frustration)
Old 2007-10-13, 6:10pm
Burn baby, burn

Sounds like the oxygen really, really doesn't want you to torch. Have you considered counseling? Maybe it has a problem letting go.
Old 2007-10-13, 8:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
I bid as a show of faith that it is the original. I am not delusional, I don’t think I’ll win…
Sorry Loco, but I just had to do it.

Of course, I have no illusions of winning either. I just wanted to bid up the price a bit so Robin can get her Oxy fixed.

Hugs to all,
-Kay

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2007-10-13, 8:56pm
I speak Murrini!

Oh, Snap!!!

Tee, hee, hee....(evil giggle while wringing hands!)

DeAnne in CA

P.S. Hope we all get our butts kicked and it goes for a wonderfully crazy price!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2007-10-13, 11:46pm
Storm Queen

Only one batch of the real streaky pink. However, Jodell was selling "Streaky Bubblegum Pink" years ago and a lot of us fell for it thinking it was the real streaky pink. I'm pretty sure that there are still people out there that have the fake crap stashed away thinking that they have real streaky pink.

Old 2007-10-14, 9:30am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Thanks everybody! I appreciate the help.

And for those who were afraid my oxy con was lonely, I want you to know I moved my Kiln Fairy to the top of the box. (still doesn't work, by the way, but it can't possible be lonely!)
Old 2007-10-14, 11:05am
one day at a time

I had almost a whole pound and sold it in the Garage a little more than a month ago. I was a little sad at first, but I never could get the color to come out of it nicely, most of the time it went pale on me anyway. I'm never going to be Kandice Seeber! LOL!

Selling it gave me the money I needed, and the member on here that bought it is thrilled. That made me not so sad anymore.
Old 2007-10-14, 11:26am

>> Oh, Snap!!!

Not for long.....LOL.

For those of you who aren't sure what you have is streaky pink, I can tell you a sure way to tell. Cut of a small piece of the rod in question (about 3/4 of an inch), melt it onto the end of a mandrel with an equal amount of 069 Electric/Striking Yellow, mix the two together with another mandrel then make a small spacer bead with the mix. If yours is the real streaky pink, you'll get a pink that is fairly unique to the mixes of the other pinks and 069. You can check it out here (second bead first column):
http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/beads/yellow/069003.jpg and there are a few other pink mixes here:
http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/beads/yellow/069002.jpg

Last edited by Listenup; 2007-10-14 at 11:30am.
Old 2007-10-14, 11:56am
SCIENCE Teacher!

I am quite sure it's the original, with the original label from Frantz on it. I bought it way before streaky pink was a craze. In fact, I ordered dk. pink and got the streaky pink instead. I have used it..by accident and couldn't figure out why my pink was going all streaky until I had used most of a rod. So yes, I am sure, beyond sure, absolutely sure. I have been torching for 6 years so I have various colors of odd lots before they were popular or hoarded.
Old 2007-10-14, 1:39pm

I have no doubt. I wouldn't have bid on them if there was any question in my mind. In fact, at the time I'm typing this, I'm the high bidder. Robin, please don't construe my message on testing for the real thing as any question on what you're offering. It's for all those others who have bought stuff in the past and want to verify if what they paid big bucks for is the real thing or not. As I said, I have no question at all about yours. Your reputation alone speaks for you. In fact, if I win the auction, I'll make a bead made with the mixed color and send to you. It really is an interesting and unique color.

Hugs,
-Kay

Last edited by Listenup; 2007-10-15 at 3:50pm.
Old 2007-10-14, 3:20pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listenup View Post
>> Oh, Snap!!! Not for long.....LOL.
Why you little...........................Angel!!!

Best of luck to you! See you at the finish line!!!

DeAnne in CA

Old 2007-10-15, 6:49am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Tell you what..if an LE person wins and you tell me you're on LE, I will include a rod or two of some other "rare" color.
Old 2007-10-15, 12:51pm
Glass Addict

I may see you ladies at the finish line too (evil grin)

"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly"
Old 2007-10-16, 9:59am

If you lay them side by side with other pinks they are more blue than the other pinks. The other pinks have a fleshy tone next to the streaky pink.

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2007-10-18, 8:26pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Anybody know "juststitching2" ?
Old 2007-10-19, 12:34am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
Anybody know "juststitching2" ?
No idea, darlin'! But the feedback looks great - hope you are able to get your oxy fixed and you're back on your way to making lovely beads soon!

So very glad for you...
DeAnne in CA