Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-02-05, 7:55am

Default reamers for Dremels

Wondering where to buy coated cleaning bits (might be a better name) for Dremels. What's the current consensus? Thanks
Old 2014-02-05, 8:51am
I fart diamonds

http://www.widgetsupply.com/category...nd-cone-1.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-02-05, 9:07am
Queen of the milo field

Got mine at Home Depot
Old 2014-02-05, 10:26am
Glass-aholic

I vote a beadreamer from art in the round. Truly a great investment, and made for specific mandrel sizes. I have only bought 2 in the past 10 years, the first cleaned more than 5000 beads. I can get only 20 or so cleaned with the cheep ones for a dollar, and they are not made to fit the holes perfectly. The quality is above all the best.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-02-05, 1:25pm

Thanks all! I think Art In The round is where I got the one that is on its last legs now
Old 2014-02-06, 8:17am
Glass-aholic

Vicki just courious how long you have had the one you have now

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-02-06, 8:27am

Jaci - they last a really long time -lots of beads more importantly, but I can't give you a specific time. I think I've been using the current one for a year - or two but it's practically bare now. I just wanted to see what other folks thought.
Old 2014-02-09, 10:09pm

Now that I have discovered the BeaDreamer I am too spoiled to go back, lol

--Helene
Old 2014-02-10, 5:04am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
I vote a beadreamer from art in the round. Truly a great investment, and made for specific mandrel sizes. I have only bought 2 in the past 10 years, the first cleaned more than 5000 beads. I can get only 20 or so cleaned with the cheep ones for a dollar, and they are not made to fit the holes perfectly. The quality is above all the best.
I saw your post and went to purchase 2 (I use 5/64 and 3/32) but it would have been $80! Are these really woth that? I'm still on the fence so some one push me one way or the other please.
Old 2014-02-10, 5:26am
Glass-aholic

Yes. Totally worth it.

When you compare them to any others it's money well spent not only will it last longer than any other reamer by miles and miles, but it will cut your cleaning time by a lot. The beadreamer typically only needs or pass because it's spicifcaly made for the hole size. It's made to take off a thin layer of glass too based on the hole size, so you have the cleanest holes too. Trying to do it with any other reamer takes time, and would never be raft consistent. I only bought it for the bed size I make most. I don't do many bigger hole beads, but I have used the beadreamer to clean the larger holes by just circling the edge. Does it take all that long, and I don't have to change the bit. Buti think if I made more bhbs I would buy it for that size too.

If you are really on the fence just get the 3/32. (Or the one you use more often) and buy the other size next year. This really won't be something you purchase often. Not like the cheep ones. I could go through a cheep one every time I clean beads.

Last edited by jaci; 2014-02-10 at 5:29am.
Old 2014-02-10, 12:13pm
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

I haven't tried the art in the round ones, but I really don't like the ones from widget. The last 2 packages I bought were really bad--most were not straight, and about half were unusable.

Arrow Springs sells the same type that widget carries, although theirs are straight, they still wear out in one cleaning session.

Frantz has the nice ones that last.
Old 2014-02-10, 12:19pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Well I'm with Shawnette, I use Widget supply and have great results. They last a long time for me and are cheap to replace. Just MHO.

Old 2014-02-10, 3:16pm
Alaska Boro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluhealer View Post
I really don't like the ones from widget. The last 2 packages I bought were really bad--most were not straight, and about half were unusable.
Have been using the diamond burs from Widget for a number of years without any issues at all. All are straight and run for a long time. Have used the same set for the last 2 years and they just keep on ticking!!

Phone Widget and have them replace any defective products.
Old 2014-02-10, 4:51pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I use the Widget ones, too. And so far I like them, but then I've never used one of the expensive ones.

L-111

Old 2014-02-11, 2:15pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I bought a package of diamond coated drilll bits from Harbor Freight several years ago for $8. Still have the first one in my dremel. I've cleaned a lot of bea&s with the one I have currently. I would never spend a lot of money on a drill bit again. I just don't see the value.

Ebay:
Old 2014-02-11, 2:29pm

Thanks for that suggestion, Killerbeedz! I have good luck with Harbor Freight and the prices are sure good. I just ordered some.
Old 2014-02-11, 2:31pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I've been using the same cheapo Widget Supply reamer for a couple of years now, it's stuck in my Dremel but it still has the coating on it. I went through the Beadreamer ones really fast, about one every 2-3 months.

Old 2014-02-11, 4:13pm
one day at a time

Wow... I have had my BeaDreamer 1/16" bit since 2006 and I don't have to tell how many thousands upon thousands of beads I've cleaned with it. You can guess. The only sign of wear is that the tip is dangerously sharp, but I won't attempt to file that down and taking a chance on it bending.

Maybe mine has lasted so long because of the bead release I use?? I use KRAG Mudd which has a very low residue.
Old 2014-02-11, 5:37pm

Cheapo for me! Just sayinnnnn

Old 2014-02-13, 7:07am
I fart diamonds

I had the 1/16 & 3/32 Beadreamers and I love the lip thingy but my 1/16 one bent and I lost the 3/32. I've never had a problem with the ones from Widget, so I couldn't justify spending that kind of money to replace the Beadreamers.

Old 2014-02-13, 7:09am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
I've been using the same cheapo Widget Supply reamer for a couple of years now, it's stuck in my Dremel but it still has the coating on it. I went through the Beadreamer ones really fast, about one every 2-3 months.
Spray a little WD-40 down the shaft and hold with vise grips while you wiggle it.

Old 2014-02-13, 10:24am
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Pointy diamond coated bits for my dremel. I buy them from the hardware store. They're the Dremel brand name and they last a very long time (several years for me).