Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-02-18, 7:28am

Default Devardi Glass?

I have a newbie question! This has probably been asked and asked again somewhere on this site, but I didn't see it anywhere.

I'm new to glass work (love, love, LOVE it, by the way -- I'm already and addict).

I just started at Christmas time, with a beginner's kit I received as a gift.
Naturally, I've already run through all the glass that came with the kit, and bought some more of the same kind at Hobby Lobby, but it didn't have a wide variety of colors.

I just ordered a few pounds of rods from Devardi, mainly because of the price and the beautiful color selection. But now I'm reading that it's difficult to work with???

I don't have any "special" equipment - just the simple Flameworks torch that came with the beginners' kit, but I seem to be progressing nicely (at least, I'm satisfied with the beads I've started making). When I make a bead, the finished product looks how I intended, so I think that's a pretty good start for a weekend hobby only started a couple months ago! LOL!

I had assumed all 104 COE would be about the same. Am I going to be disappointed when my order gets here?

Any tips for using this glass when it does get here - which should be tomorrow??

Thanks so much in advance!!
Jan
Old 2013-02-18, 7:36am
I fart diamonds

Most Devardi is shocky. Some of the Devardi colors are really shocky but you don't "need" to buy any special equipment to work with it other than something to use to preheat your rods. You can use a hotplate, curling iron heater, pancake griddle, your kiln if you have one...

Most glass brands have a few colors that are shocky so I would suggest having something to preheat your rods, anyway, not just for the Devardi. People were preheating Effetre long before Devardi came onto the scene.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-02-18, 7:53am

Hmm, this could be interesting. I'll try a griddle. I'm assuming I just have to heat the last few inches of each rod that I'll be using, leaving the other end out and cool to touch?

I'm kinda freaking out a little, and my glass isn't even here yet! LOL!
I just hate to think I invested the $100 or so that I did (ok, I went a little crazy looking at the pretty colors) only to be unable to use it properly.
Old 2013-02-18, 8:13am

do a search on "devardi". some love it, some hate it.

imo, for the price it's still not worth the extra babying it requires. and for a newby having to deal with shocky glass is one more hurdle you should not have to overcome.
Old 2013-02-18, 8:27am
I fart diamonds

If you're buying it specifically to preheat glass rods, get a curling iron stove. They sell them at Beauty Supply stores.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Old 2013-02-18, 8:33am
Loving learning

The main thing with any shocky glass is don't hurry it into the flame. Start out at the tip, keep it moving in & out of the flame at first, turning, etc. & slowly bringing it forward as you heat it. Just don't rush it.
I found one of the little heaters Shawnette linked to at the thrift store and they get really hot. Just remember the outside is hot too & don't touch your arm to it reaching for something else... can you tell I learned that the hard way?
Old 2013-02-18, 8:51am

This site is so awesome! Thanks, everyone!
I'll just have to see what happens!
I'll post my "findings" after I've played with a few different colors and opacities!
Old 2013-02-18, 9:02am
Loving learning

I can tell you that I have seen some lovely colors on beads posted here. Have fun with it. And if something is toooo shocky you can always make frit from that rod, and use the color that way.
Old 2013-02-18, 9:22am
No Longer an LE Member

Smile Devardi glass great for teaching

bye

Last edited by Dr Bill; 2013-08-03 at 7:20am.
Old 2013-02-18, 12:51pm

I have no idea how to pull stringers! LOL!
Old 2013-02-18, 1:27pm
Loving learning

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&...w=1184&bih=586

it isn't hard, just takes practice.

turn the rod in the flame to melt the glass to a nice molten gather
pull it out of the flame, still turning, and wait a few seconds for the glass to cool a tad so the color changes a little & it looks like it is beginning to harden on the surface.
grab with tweezers or pliers and slowly pull your hands apart.
you can go faster as it cools
faster pull makes thinner stringer, so don't go too fast or you'll end up with hair fine stuff
keep some tension on it until it cools so it will harden straight.
Remember it will still be HOT! for a bit!

It takes a little bit of practice to know when to pull, but if you can't get it to be thick enough, you're pulling too soon.
If you can't get it thin enough, you're waiting too long.
Old 2013-02-18, 1:37pm

There are a few useful Videos on youtube showing basic skills, your local library or Inter Library Loan may also have a few books that can help.
Look localy there are a few reputable lampworkers in your area that may have time to help.

Old 2013-02-18, 3:28pm
offically down under

While Devardi has some lovely colors, the glass is so shocky that for a beginner, I think you're going to struggle. I equate it with learning to drive in an 18 wheeler or learning to fly in a 747. Eventually you'll get it but the learning curve is massive.

Old 2013-02-18, 5:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
If you're buying it specifically to preheat glass rods, get a curling iron stove. They sell them at Beauty Supply stores.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
Before you buy a curling iron stove, check out Devardi as they have a rod warmer that is a lot cheaper than the curling iron stove in the link. IMO Have a great night!
Old 2013-02-18, 5:59pm
MacGalver

Marge, are you sure Devardi has a cheaper rod warmer? The only one I saw on their site is $44 + about $16.00 shipping as opposed to $38 on Amazon with free shipping..... but maybe I missed something....

Jo

Old 2013-02-18, 6:26pm
....uhm...

I also started off with devardi. They do have some wonderful colors.

Another thing to remember is that the glass is a little more stiff. It may take longer to melt on the Flamework torch that you are using than on a Hot Head...and that takes some time as it is. I very quickly moved on to Effetre. I still get some devardi glass as I can't find an equivalent in Effetre yet.

Also you can request smaller rods when ordering from Devardi.

One more thing. I also ordered one of their rod warmers and it got so hot it melted the rods inside it. So just beware. It was a mess.

Old 2013-02-18, 6:47pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by margepoc View Post
Before you buy a curling iron stove, check out Devardi as they have a rod warmer that is a lot cheaper than the curling iron stove in the link. IMO Have a great night!
The Devardi warmer is more expensive. You can buy a curling iron stove at just about any beauty supply store, as well. Avoid Sally, though. They're about $65 there. Wayyy overpriced!

To avoid melted rods, put a thin layer of fiber blanket on the bottom. You can use the top to preheat murrini.

Old 2013-02-18, 9:38pm
Echo's Mother

Yes, there are some pretty colors in Devardi. IMO, it is so shocky, it is not worth the hassle. I have had it break off a half inch above the mandrel in the middle of winding a bead. Also,, the rod sizes vary a lot. Some are way too thick. Try Messy Glass by Creation is Messy. Pretty colors, well priced and not shocky.
Old 2013-02-18, 11:14pm

The only thing I am going to say is "GOOD LUCK" with the Devardi! AND Welcome to the addiction! LOL

LynieG
Old 2013-02-19, 3:37am
Unmedicated since '62

in reality this is only your first order of glass, getting new colours is addictive

next time order some of the more basic effetre colours like black, red and ivory, that will give you a better start with less frustration

there are colours in effetre that as just as shocky as devardi - anice comes to mind, and any thicker hand pulled rods will be shocky as well

its all a learning curve

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2013-02-19, 4:52am

Quote:
The Devardi warmer is more expensive. You can buy a curling iron stove at just about any beauty supply store, as well. Avoid Sally, though. They're about $65 there. Wayyy overpriced!

To avoid melted rods, put a thin layer of fiber blanket on the bottom. You can use the top to preheat murrini.
Hi Shawnette, I just got the devardi glass warmer, I payed $45.00 and it works great.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-02-19, 5:35am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Hi Shawnette, I just got the devardi glass warmer, I payed $45.00 and it works great.
Bob
Hi Bob. I never said the Devardi warmer doesn't work; I said it costs more than the one I linked to. The Devardi warmer is a curling iron stove.

Old 2013-02-19, 6:14am
I like fire....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
While Devardi has some lovely colors, the glass is so shocky that for a beginner, I think you're going to struggle. I equate it with learning to drive in an 18 wheeler or learning to fly in a 747. Eventually you'll get it but the learning curve is massive.
Back in the day.... I have a few hundreds hours on the 747-400. Its not that hard to fly. Of course all my hours are from the training flight simulator, I was part of the team that built it. I have driven 18 wheeler too. that was actually harder for me.

As for learning - This will teach you how to work a shocky glass. as a newbe, I take eveything as a learning experience. Just have fun with it.
Old 2013-02-19, 9:32am

I'm so loving the enthusiasm of replies here! This site rocks!
Old 2013-02-21, 7:40am

FINALLY got my shipment of glass yesterday!!! The ineptitude of my local Post Office is unrivalled...it was shown as delivered to my PO early on Saturday morning, didn't make it into my mailbox until Wednesday! Seriously? Anyway...
The glass I got is beautiful! And there's a lot more of each one than I was expecting. Yes, I ordered by the pound, but still, there were more rods of each than I anticipated.
However, they're HUGE!! LOL! I think the first thing I'll do this weekend is try to make some stringers (I've never done that, so it will be a learning experience). Hopefully, this will give me an idea of how the glass "behaves" and make actually working with it easier.
Anyone have any suggestions or helpful hints for me?

And how sad is it that I really, really wanted to call off work today so I could stay home and play with glass? LOL!
Guess I'll wait until Saturday!
Old 2013-02-21, 8:01am

Quote:
Hi Bob. I never said the Devardi warmer doesn't work; I said it costs more than the one I linked to. The Devardi warmer is a curling iron stove.
Hi Shawnette, I had not followed your link but it is the same thing and cheaper. I'm a guy, what do I know about curling Iron warmers.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-02-21, 8:03am

For pulling stringer, just make a big hot ball on the end of the rod. The slower you pull, the thicker the stringer. I have a couple of Devardi colors that I really like. I have to pull them into 2 to 3 mm stringer to use. The rods ARE huge and that is too bad.

Oh, and make sure you pre-heat the rods as mentioned above or you will go crazy.

Old 2013-02-21, 8:09am

Thanks!
So far my plan is to go the George Foreman Grill route!

For some reason, that just makes me giggle.
Old 2013-02-21, 8:27am

I think George would be giggling too

Old 2013-02-21, 9:27am

I am exactly like you! i too started at Christmas and also bought some Devardi. It is very thick almost like tree branches. Never get it too hot though. I live in the SF Bay area and frequent CR Loo when I want to go and actually see the glass before I buy. Overall, I like the softness and workability!