Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-12-18, 5:22pm
Fire n Sand Glass Art

Default Blow tube question

Want to get a blow hose but have 2 questions.

First is about size, should I go with a 3/16 or 1/4? I'm leaning towards the 1/4 inch.

And also wondering which swivel is best at keeping out of your way while rotating the glass. Rethinking my first thought that the 90 degree would work better but now think maybe the straight one would stay out of the way better.

Thanks,
Karen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~
Old 2010-12-18, 8:25pm
Formerly Bakerman44

i bought a tube with an angled swivel. i never could get the hang of it..but i have 1/4" and the hose seemed to stay out of the way but i favor one hand too much and constantly flip

Last edited by Cornbread; 2010-12-21 at 7:47pm.
Old 2010-12-19, 8:35am
ILERNTITBYWATCHINU

i like 1/4 in hose and the 90.....but if i woulda bought a straight swivel when i started then i probably would like the straight one

Old 2010-12-19, 8:37am
boro color bender

1/4 and 90 here too...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-12-19, 10:02am
ManBearPig

I have a couple different sizes and a couple 90 degree swivels. I never use them.

Old 2010-12-20, 3:27pm

I bought the 1/4 and 90 but I dont know how to attach and setup correctly so I havent used them yet. For some reason, Just shoving the 90 into a glass tube didnt seem right....
Old 2010-12-20, 3:50pm

I use the 3/16 and the 90. Take a short piece of the blow hose, maybe 1.5" or so, and attach that to the 90. It will slip over the end of a pulled point and voila, you're in business.
Old 2010-12-21, 8:22am
Fire n Sand Glass Art

See they make rubber or vinyl nipples too that connect the latex hose to the glass rod and hold it in place. I forgot to add them to my order, will probably use blue painters tape.

I ordered the 1/4 - 90º, should be here by tomorrow (I hope).
Karen

~
~
~
~
Old 2010-12-21, 11:12am

I just pull the mouthpiece out of the tube....snip off a shot piece.....put that cut piece on the end of the brass and put the mouthpiece back in....
Old 2010-12-21, 5:52pm

We sell a package 2 mouth ends,with 3' + of hose with the 90 swivel and a lot of these blowers just buy a hummingbird feeder plug that we carry ($1.15 each) and take out the plastic tube and it fits perfect in the 25mm tubes. We are out of the tubing fitting that fits over the 9.5 but there is one made...

Old 2010-12-24, 8:34pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

when I was making neon signs I used the smaller tubing and a 90 swivel. GFor bigger work and tubing and especially a lathe you need the fatter tubing, or you can actually have a problem with pressure in the vessel and it inflating itself.. been there done that.

I like a straight for the lathe and a 90 for the bench.

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2010-12-25, 6:37am
Glassmangler

I use both a straight swivel with a cap (for 12mm tubes) and a 90 degree bent swivel with a cork that I use for my GoG tools. I switch between them so much that I don't really have a preference.
Old 2010-12-28, 3:35am
Fire n Sand Glass Art

Thanks for all the info. I have those hummingbird feeder corks too so will have to try those when I get some time.

~
~
~
~