Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-09-17, 3:39pm
Soft glass addict

Default Need help with reducing cause i'm going &^%$^&*

I can really need all the help i can get, i think untill about 6 months ago i could get those beautiful rainbow colors out of psyche, see pics below

and since about half a year it's just POOF gone. Didn't change my setup, i did change torches (from a minor to a mega) but it was already before the mega so that doesn't count either,i tried to work with less propane,more propane, when reducing only slightly turn the oxy down, a bit more and so on. Also with Triton and all the other glasses you can get the rainbow colors, i can't anymore and it's so frustrating. I get blue first, then silver (sometimes) and then gold and that's about it, with triton i get the satin effect (in gold) after that and other colors start to over reduce after the gold.
I don't know what the h... i'm doing wrong, all i know is that i want my rainbow colors back. No purple, pink, green etc anymore, i can scream.
Is there someone who has some advice for me cause i'm clueless, it was so easy, just wave it in the flame and the colors came right away
Mega Minor + 2 oxycons and lovin it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-09-17, 5:20pm
just plain silly

I don't know the answer but I'd be crying too if I couldn't get my rainbow back because that bead is gorgeous! Are you using the same base color? Maybe heating and cooling??... oh I don't know because I am going crazy with that dang Pandora!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Suzanne
Old 2008-09-17, 7:35pm
yukue fumei

I don't know if this will help since our setups are different, but maybe it is something you can try....
I set my flame with the typical high propane, low O2 but instead of putting the bead into the flame, I barely touch the glass to the flame. Sometimes not even touching the flame--just close. If I put it directly in the flame, it goes to heavy reduction quickly and is harder to control the effect.

nagi

Old 2008-09-17, 7:42pm

Is it the same batch of glass? Each batch may be just a bit different from the one before.

Kathleen
Old 2008-09-18, 1:24am
Soft glass addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagibeads View Post
I don't know if this will help since our setups are different, but maybe it is something you can try....
I set my flame with the typical high propane, low O2 but instead of putting the bead into the flame, I barely touch the glass to the flame. Sometimes not even touching the flame--just close. If I put it directly in the flame, it goes to heavy reduction quickly and is harder to control the effect.
I tried that too Nagi but it didn't work either, i'm going to try again though! Thanks for your help
Old 2008-09-18, 1:25am
Soft glass addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katey11 View Post
Is it the same batch of glass? Each batch may be just a bit different from the one before.
Yes, it is the same batch of glass and this goes for all the glasses that is possible to get rainbow colors out. I'm about to pull my hair out
Old 2008-09-18, 1:32am
Soft glass addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt4st View Post
I don't know the answer but I'd be crying too if I couldn't get my rainbow back because that bead is gorgeous! Are you using the same base color? Maybe heating and cooling??... oh I don't know because I am going crazy with that dang Pandora!
Yep Suzanne, same base color too. I always let the bead cool off till the glow is gone. I can't wait for my Pandora to arrive and see how that goes
Stupid thing is that with the striking glass things haven't changed, but the rainbow has gone and i want, no need it back cause i like it so much
How can something that was always so easy to do just disappear from one day to another and to not come back, i just don't get it.
Thanks for liking the bead!
Old 2008-09-18, 1:56am
I need more boro stuff

I'm not an expert on silver glass but this is what I found out when using psyche.

Try not to over reduce it.
Every time I over reduce it, I lost all the nice shiny purple. I still get the shiny bit but not the purple bit.
Stop reducing it when you see the shiny bit on psyche.

Old 2008-09-18, 3:24am
Soft glass addict

The thing is that i know exactly how to get them shiny without over reducing them, only the rainbow colors are impossible to get. So blues and gold and silver are no prob but no purple,pink,green etc. anymore.
Old 2008-09-18, 4:24am

Tam, my guess would be that you are not getting the amount of oxy you used to get from your concentrators and that could definitely cause this problem.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2008-09-18, 7:13am
Princess Odd . . . lot

By the description you're giving it sounds like you may be getting the glass to hot to start with, so the glass may be starting to strike before you reduce it. Have you tried using a cooler flame to wind the glass and shape the bead before trying to reduce it? The reason that I'm thinking this is that hothead users like me usually have no problem getting the rainbow colors, and we only have a cool flame . . .