LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2009-04-29, 10:45am

Default Making mandrel holders

I'm very new to this world of hot glass, and I'm already addicted like you wouldn't believe. I've put in over 100 hours on the torch in the last 3 weeks, and no indication that I'll be slowing down

I am so inspired by these tutorials, and they help me so much, I'm hoping my little idea will help someone too. My first challenge when I set up my studio was to figure out how to store coated mandrels. I didn't want to spend money since I've way over-shot my budget on glass, so here's what I came up with. It works really well!

What you'll need:

Plastic 20 ounce softdrink bottle (Avoid the flimsy, skinny water bottles, as they tend to tip over. I use Crystal Gyser mineral water bottles, just because I have a bunch on hand).

Popcorn or rice
Funnel
Mandrel(s)
Paper towel
Torch or lighter

Step 1:
Wash and thoroughly dry the bottle (I even use a little bleach water to make sure I don't have anything growing in my bottles down the road). To get the bottle bone-dry, wrap a paper towel around a mandrel and swipe it inside the bottle.

Step 2:
Using a funnel, fill bottle 2/3 full of either pop corn or rice. I used popcorn because I found a 12 lb bag at Cash N Carry for $5.00.

Step 3:
Using a torch or a lighter, heat up the end of the mandrel. On the torch, this only takes about 5 seconds.

Step 4:

Starting about 1/2 inch above the popcorn line, gently plunge the heated mandrel end at a 45 degree angle into the bottle. If you need to use any pressure, the mandrel is not hot enough.
Wiggle the mandrel a bit to enlarge the hole. If your hole is too tight, the wet bead release will splatter as you place the mandrel in the hole.

Make your next hole at the opposite side of the bottle (just as if you were placing a row of evenly spaced dots on a bead). Continue around the bottle until you have six evenly spaced holes.

Make a second row of holes about 1/2 inch above the first row. Space the top row of holes so each is between two holes in the bottom row.

Note: Obviously, the picture shows the mandrel way higher than 1/2 above the popcorn line. I was juggling the camera and mandrel, so sorry for the inaccuracy. The angle of the mandrel is what you want to pay attention to.

That's it! I think each holder cost me about 10 cents to make, and they are really convenient.

Thanks for reading - hope this helps someone! Maybe one day I can write a tutorial on something artistic

Old 2009-04-29, 10:48am
Cancer SUCKS!

Very clever

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-04-29, 10:51am
Who me?

Cool - I mean HOT!
Old 2009-04-29, 12:41pm
Detail G-Mama!

How clever! I just use sand in a planter pot!

Old 2009-04-29, 12:49pm
Tacki

If you get hungry you can just wave the bottle in front of the torch for a few seconds and have delicious popcorn!
Old 2009-04-29, 1:46pm
Slowbie and loving it!

That's very clever. I use Kitty Litter in a small plastic bucket that, I believe, used to have honey in it, but your method looks as though it will stop the mandrels leaning over and touching each other.

Vicki
Old 2009-04-29, 2:30pm

Very clever....I use a block of styrofoam that's about 1 1/2 inches thick....just poke them down and they stand up...
Old 2009-04-29, 4:41pm
birdergirl ~o~

that's popcorn abuse, maybe use lima beans

I use styrofoam or vermiculite in a tin can

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2009-04-29, 4:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki Ellen View Post
That's very clever. I use Kitty Litter in a small plastic bucket that, I believe, used to have honey in it, but your method looks as though it will stop the mandrels leaning over and touching each other.
That's the problem I was having too - My mandrels kept mating with each other and it was all a great big mess. I like these bottles because if you throw an elbow into it (as i've done a time or two), you don't have popcorn/sand/kitty litter all over the floor!
Old 2009-04-29, 4:58pm
In search of her path....

I have a large deli container filled with rice and I just shove the mandrels in the rice. No top on it or anything I can predip a ton of mandrels this way. But its definately a cool idea what you did especially if you wanted to have cz's on a mandrel ready to go etc etc

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2009-04-29, 5:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia View Post
that's popcorn abuse
Yeah, but at less than 50 cents per pound, I felt I could afford to waste a little popcorn
Old 2009-05-01, 3:30pm

I use a large empty baked bean can filled with sand. It holds a bunch without letting them touch.
Old 2009-05-02, 8:34am
Gentleman of Leisure

What a waste of good popcorn....... use "dry" sand instead....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2009-05-02, 11:44am
Carol Bouler Owens

Default I use a bucket!

I use a small galvanized bucket with sand in it. The wider top makes it easy to get a bunch of mandrel in it. Popcorn is a good idea, though! I like your way of putting the holes in the bottle! That would be a great way to create a flower arangement, too!
Old 2009-05-03, 2:37pm

I use a coffee can with sand in it. Simple, but does the job.

Beth
Old 2009-05-03, 4:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Brushy View Post

Beth
Ditto! Can get a lot of mandrels in it.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2009-05-03, 8:44pm

Cute idea! I use Cafe DuMonde coffee cans with sand I scoop from the beach. They do mate sometimes.
Old 2009-05-04, 12:20am

What a great idea! Good way to up-cycle something.
Jen
Old 2009-05-04, 4:00am
picking Job's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Brushy View Post

Beth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
Ditto! Can get a lot of mandrels in it.
I have 3 of those for different size mandrels.
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2009-05-04, 5:18am
birdergirl ~o~

I use a big dog food can with another smaller can inside it both filled with vermiculite, the smaller can keeps the mandrels in the bigger can stabilized and I can put different size mandrels in the different sections and instantly see what size I'm getting low on. I have two of these on my table. Having two takes up less space, fit in smaller spots on my table and easier to move than a bigger coffee can. I really have a space problem so I'm trying to figure out a place to keep them within reach so I can grab one but not have to lose valuable tabletop space! Rice sounds like a great idea being so clean but I wouldn't be able to just "throw" it away like that.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2009-05-04, 9:00am

Hi there!

I just took an big old tin can with sand in... EASY

Anneli
Old 2009-05-04, 5:35pm

Cool idea! Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliac View Post
They do mate sometimes.
Too bad they don't reproduce, though... I could use more mandrels and having them just show up outta nowhere from time to time would be awesome!

Old 2009-05-04, 8:14pm

Neat idea, I also use a large coffee can with sand in it. Holds quite a few.
Old 2009-05-04, 8:40pm

I drilled some holes in a some left over bits of wood and that works a treat too!

Old 2009-05-04, 10:52pm
Unmedicated since '62

i was using a big container of salt till i worked out that might not be too safe...

now i'm using the same container full of damp sand

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-05-05, 6:16am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Cool idea! Thanks for sharing!

Too bad they don't reproduce, though... I could use more mandrels and having them just show up outta nowhere from time to time would be awesome!

Yeah - I hadn't thought of that! If the promiscuous mandrels would just have babies, maybe I'd let em mate
Old 2009-05-06, 6:07am
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki Ellen View Post

Great minds think alike! I use a coffee can with sand and when I do alot of mandrel dipping I have to be oh so careful they don't all touch. I can see making 2 or even 3 rows using the pop bottle method with no worries and they take so little room.

Last edited by Elegance_1; 2009-05-06 at 6:11am.
Old 2009-05-06, 9:59am

I do the same as Ellie. Had dh drill some holes in some scrap wood and they stand straight up and don't lean into each other. It works very well.
Old 2009-05-09, 8:06am

I use flower pots filled with rice, it works great...
Old 2009-05-10, 6:07pm
Anyone need some spacers?

great idea