No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-07-22, 11:07am
Vicki of Cameron & Vicki

Default Newb problem - lopsided dots

First I want to say how lucky I feel that my hubby & I found this website! We have learned so much, thank you all for your generous knowledge. I have a couple of questions b/c I feel like I keep perpetuating the same mistakes:

- I have been working on earring pairs, and no matter how far apart on the mandrel I make my two beads, one bead always has dots pulling inward towards the other bead. I make both of my core beads first, stabilize the beads, then decorate them at the same time.

- I am trying to make ribbons and other line decorations on my beads, and I am having a difficult time getting the stringer the right consistency. I have been heating up the stringer a bit to get it to soften, but it's either too hot or too cold. Are there any tricks or is it just practice?

Thanks so much, Vicki
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wedding Bracelet made By Victoria with freshwater pearls, vintage and contemporary Swarovski crystal and sterling chain, charms and clasp.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-07-22, 11:34am
Critter Mom

Hi Vicki ... I'd quit making my pairs on one mandrel. I make pairs on seperate mandrels and just use a caliper to make them the same size...easy pleasy.

As far as stringer work goes, I'm no expert but I can tell you that when I first started lampworking using stringer was the most difficult thing. Over time it's gotten easier, so for me it was just a matter of practice. I found that sometimes it would get better if I just didn't try using stringer for a few days, then go back to it and for some reason I'd make more progress...I think I was just trying too hard !

P.S. Looking at the photos, it could just be the way you're applying heat. Try doing it on seperate mandrels and see if you get the same result. If you do then you'll know that it's the way you're heating the beads or you may not be getting your dots exactly in the center.

Last edited by Puddy Tat Glass; 2009-07-22 at 11:36am.
Old 2009-07-22, 11:41am
Striking-impared...

I agree with Bonnie; make your beads on separate mandrels. I'm guessing that the first bead you put on had dots that looked normal, then as you worked on the second bead, radiant heat caused the first bead's dots to migrate.

Old 2009-07-22, 11:53am
Formerly Sassygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasminann View Post
I agree with Bonnie; make your beads on separate mandrels. I'm guessing that the first bead you put on had dots that looked normal, then as you worked on the second bead, radiant heat caused the first bead's dots to migrate.
Exactly what I was gonna say!!

If you want to make sure that you make matching pairs here is what I do. I make one bead on a mandrel and make lots of different single beads. After they anneal and I clean them I sort through and pick out the ones I think are the best and then take them out with me to the torch so I can make one the same. I have the already created one as a reference and I can be positive I have a match.

Old 2009-07-22, 12:32pm
Vicki of Cameron & Vicki

My hubby said the same thing about the heat, that the dots were pulling towards the newer, hotter bead. I have tried cooling the second one a bit and just keeping it warm like the first bead, but I exploded two the other night when I reintroduced them to the torch. Oh well, part of the learning curve, I guess... The thing that I don't get is that I do the dots at the same time on both beads but they're not reacting the same way.

Do I need to get a caliper made especially for lampwork that won't melt under the heat of the bead?

I thought about making my earring sets on separate mandrels, but I'm fearful that they would be way different in size.

Wedding Bracelet made By Victoria with freshwater pearls, vintage and contemporary Swarovski crystal and sterling chain, charms and clasp.

Last edited by Ms. Priss; 2009-07-22 at 12:34pm. Reason: forgot a comment
Old 2009-07-22, 12:41pm
Formerly Sassygirl

The dots aren't reacting the same way because 1 has been subjected to twice the same amount of heat as the second one even if you are only keeping it warm.

Try my idea posted in #4 and see if that helps.
Hugs

Old 2009-07-23, 8:44am
burnin' glass just becuz

i'm one of those people who can never (so far) match a bead on separate mandrel so i make them all on one.

first, you may want to try making them closer together on the mandrel - that way the radiant heat will keep the one bead warm while you're working on the other. i make mine (3-4 at a time) about a half to 3/4 inch apart and flash regularly to avoid cracking. with three on a mandrel, i generally work on bead #1 then #3 then #2 and the radiant heat from #1 & #3 seem to keep #2 warm.

It also looks like you may need to keep your mandrel more level when heating the bottom beads as the dots look like they've slid towards the top bead. even a slight dip will cause gravity to do its thing...

one last tip is i blow on each bead (while spinning to keep it balanced) when i'm finished with each decorating segment to cool/form a small "skin" over the surface of the bead. that seems to keep the surface from moving too much when i head over to work on the other beads on the mandrel.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2009-07-23, 9:03am
drinks pickle juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Priss View Post
I thought about making my earring sets on separate mandrels, but I'm fearful that they would be way different in size.
If I am making beads for earrings that I can't do more than one on a mandrel, I will often make up to 6 if not more of that particular bead. I sort through them and then pair them up and I usually then can get at least couple pairs of earring beads out of the mix. Then i don't have to go back and re-make them if someone else wants the same style of beads
Old 2009-07-23, 11:20am
Life is change. Love it

The trick to making matching earring pairs is to make at least six of the same beads and you will usually get at least two pairs

That's the only way I can do it.

Old 2009-07-23, 12:24pm

The dots on the second bead on the mandrel would have to get pretty hot in order to melt and pull in the other direction. There may be some heat control going on here. I would recommend making the beads one mandrel at a time and pay attention to your heat control. When melting dots on beads the heat should only be focusing on the dots themselves and not the core of the bead. The core should not glow hot, this will cause your dots to "float".
Old 2009-07-23, 12:36pm

I read somewhere on here that when making several beads on a single mandrel not to put your finished beads back in the flame to warm them up. If you do they will crack with the temperature change. This doesn't help your dots but may help the cracking.

I hope I have this right. If I remember correctly there were several people who do the same.

Old 2009-07-23, 9:21pm
Vicki of Cameron & Vicki

Thank you all for your input!

Old 2009-07-24, 5:45pm
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by debim View Post
I read somewhere on here that when making several beads on a single mandrel not to put your finished beads back in the flame to warm them up. If you do they will crack with the temperature change. This doesn't help your dots but may help the cracking.

I hope I have this right. If I remember correctly there were several people who do the same.
doesn't work for me - i keep them all evenly heated while decorating.

i've heard of this method you mention tho - i think it's used when making a lot of single colour simple spacers.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2009-07-24, 6:48pm

I make all my earring pairs on the same mandrel at the same time so that I can add glass to one as I eyeball the size if it's smaller than the other. It just takes working with the glass a bit to be able to tell how cool the bead needs to be so that it doesn't change shape versus so cool that it cracks. Try making your first bead completely, then giving it heat in the upper flame until it glows softly. Then, start on the other bead pretty close to the first, and go back to the first a lot to flash it until the glow returns. The trick is in figuring out how to get that glow without distorting the bead, and how often to flash it, and it just takes practice to be able to tell. Hope that helps!