LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2009-02-03, 9:20am

Default Simple Wigwag Tut. *FREE*

I recieved an email from another noob lampworking asking how I did Wigwag pendants. I'm sure 99% of you know how to do these, and probably have a better explanation, but this is for the other 1% .
and im sure there is a bunch of these tutorials on here but i figured i'd post this anyway.

ps. if you have something to add please do add it, but try not to cut me down for my noobness

Wigwags: (you can either use tube or rod, but i'd start with rod till you get the feel for it)

1)create a gather (size depends on how big you want your pendant to be, prettymuch like any other pendants)

2)make the gather into a cone shape starting at the tip ---|> sort of like this.

3)draw your lines ABOUT half way down the cone (if you draw them too far the lines may show up on the sides of your finished pendant, you want the whole desing to be in the "window" of the pendant)

4)now you can do the twisting two ways (atleast two that ive found work)

A)heat one little section of the lines, twist, let it cool (not too much ofcourse). heat the next little section of untwisted lines, twist the opposite way. you can do this as many times as you want. but with a smaller gather/tube its better to do 2 or 3 twists, till you get the hang of it.

B)Heat the whole thing up, twist the whole thing into a vortex, then go back down to the middle of the twist, heat that up and twist the opposite way of the initial big twist.

I like step B better. I find it to be quicker and easier. BUT, step A can help you practise heating little sections and help with detail work. *so try both*

* by this time your cone shape would probably be alot more stretched than when you started, no worries!!*

5) condense your cone, starting at the tip, back into a ball.

6) once you have your ball, with the design on the face, flatten into a Maria, like you would with an implosion.

7) now add your backing colour(if you choose to use one)

remove working rod

9) add loop

10) throw it into the kiln and have a nice day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-02-03, 11:05am
I speak Murrini!

Hi There!!!!

I realize that photos of this process (both A and B) might be kinda difficult to provide, especially if you're working single-handed (i.e., no one there to take snaps of what you're doing and describing in each step). Maybe if you show us a "finished" version of what you're describing - as in a finished bead or "twistie", it would be hugely helpful!

No "NOOB" cut-downs here...I'm ALWAYS glad when someone is willing to share their work and efforts!

Thanks,
De in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-02-03, 11:10am
I speak Murrini!

Oh, Duh!!! For those (like me!) who didn't "get it" with the description - I'm such a dork sometimes - I've posting a link to ckauhane's website page for the finished pendants as an example - lovely!!! Here it is (hope you don't mind, ckauhane!):

http://kauhanekreations.piczo.com/wi...linkvar=000044

These are cool!

De in CA

Old 2009-02-03, 11:19am
jessica barksdale

the only thing i'd add is after i've drawn my lines, i like to pull the gather out a little, to about 8mm, & then do my wigging & wagging. i find its easier to get more bends that way. then just heat/gather that back down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jes
i make stuff & also things.

|
Old 2009-02-03, 11:52am

Hey theglasszone im in the middle of making some right now so ill do the best I can to take photo's.
a video would be much better, maybe someday soon ill get my dad to film.
and thanks for posting the link!

Ruca, thanks for adding that, thats what i usually do too. never really done a tutorial before so i was typing a lot of info and looks like i missed a couple things

Old 2009-02-03, 12:07pm
jessica barksdale

well, hey, i think you did a good job. can't wait to see some pics.

i can't imagine trying to write a tutorial, i just like um, do stuff. i can't explain it or anything.

jes

|
Old 2009-02-03, 12:08pm
Superkitty

Very nice! I'll be giving those a try! Thanks for the tutorial ckauhane!
Old 2009-02-03, 1:16pm

im not too happy with the way this pendant turned out, i burned the Borostix a bit much. but hope the pics help!!
here are my drawn lines

here is my "vortex" twist

here's the wigwag twist

starting to condense

prettymuch fully condensed

flattened into a maria. knotice how some of the lines are on the side of the maria? dont really want that *kicks himself*

i've got a couple other wigwagers in the kiln that turned out a lot better than the one in these pics. ill post pics tomorrow.

thanks for lookin everyone!

Old 2009-02-03, 2:38pm
I speak Murrini!

Yay!!! Now we're talking...!!! Thank again for posting the photos...it all makes perfect sense now!

De in CA (the occasionally "verbally challenged" one!)

Old 2009-02-03, 3:03pm
Your Royal Fritness

Very Nice!

Old 2009-02-03, 3:11pm
Melt That Glass

Oh goodie--another new thing to try--thanks for sharing

Knight Bullet, 2 cons and tanked
Old 2009-02-03, 11:21pm

hope everyone enjoyed!!
here are two wiggy'es i made today, not including the one in the pics above (it turned out to be too brutal)
this ones made with 12mm rod

this one was made with tube (i think it is around 22x2.5mm)

I like the tube one better, it gives it depth and i also imploded it for fun.

Old 2009-02-04, 12:10am

nice photo tut. might consider just running some clear over the color to prevent boiling right after you lay your lines and it may increase the depth as well in forming the lens.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2009-02-04, 8:45am

good call.
thanks for the tip!

Old 2009-02-04, 11:26am

Very cool, thanks!
Old 2009-02-04, 11:40am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Thank you!!! I will try that with some soft stuff and see what happens ...

thanks for sharing with us!

Old 2009-02-04, 3:27pm
just plain silly

Thanks for the pics! I will join the "verbally challenged" club with De and the pics sure helped me understand.

Suzanne
Old 2009-02-04, 9:29pm

yeah picture and video tutorials are awesome.

dont hesitate to post pics of your wigwags!

Old 2009-02-04, 11:22pm
balanced but asymmetrical

Thanks for the pics, it'd be great to see how to do a tube wigwag too!

Old 2009-02-05, 5:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gila View Post
Thanks for the pics, it'd be great to see how to do a tube wigwag too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLFrK...e=channel_page
check out all his youtube vids, great stuff

------------------------
Old 2009-02-05, 8:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckauhane View Post
yeah picture and video tutorials are awesome.

dont hesitate to post pics of your wigwags!
ya know not sure if the wig wag design in your pendants are from the point facing up as a finished product or if your adding a lens using the clear rod? but you can draw all your lines on then cover them with a dark color like you might for a vortex. stretch out some and wig wag(you should be able to see the wags in the solid color) then reduce back down into a gather and make a maria. then implode as you would any implosion, just lightly. then punt up to the back, and cut off the clear rod making a nice thick lens to magnify the slightly imploded design.
so many ways of doing this, just have to make sure the termination at the end of the cone is clean and crisp. will post one made with some rod seconds I'm dying to try. I got to save the good stuff for other projects

------------------------
Old 2009-02-07, 8:30am

that could work murf!
never tried it but never know.

and where i draw my lines is on the "face" of the Maria, just like a implosion

Old 2009-02-07, 8:41am

Hmm. I LOVE how these look, yet I wonder, how or if this technique could be adapted if using a hothead.

Old 2009-02-07, 8:11pm

you can only burn soft glass with hot heads so you could give it a try.
I dont have much experience with soft glass. But if you do, go for it

Old 2009-02-11, 3:09pm
Button Queen

Ohhhhhhhhhh!

I get it now....! The pics really helped....!

Thank you so much for sharing!
Old 2009-02-11, 4:33pm
jessica barksdale

i forgot to add.. instead of making a cone i stripe 12mm or 14mm rod, then pull it out, wig, & then gather that back down & push into a disc.

either method works, its all a preference thing.

jes

|