Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2009-04-28, 8:43am
DSDWC

Default Finallly pulled the trigger

After lots of research of vendors, prices and lens options I finally ordered the Nikon D90 from B&H Photo. There are so many con artists in the camera market I finally just opted for the best company I could find. Maybe paid a little more but for the peace of mind I will take it. I ended up getting the standard 18-105mm kit lens to start. Should be fine for getting used to the new camera. I will add other lenses as I need them. Had dreams of the 18-200mm but read a few reviews of it being soft from 70mm on up.
Can't wait for it to get here on Friday!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-04-28, 9:11am
ManBearPig

B&H is who I get all of my camera stuff from. They are the best out there by a long shot...

Old 2009-04-28, 10:00am
Dichro Addict

I have the 18-200mm lens and I love it, but I'm an amateur photographer. I don't even use my Nikon for bead pictures. I use my Sony. But I am in love with my Nikon and that lens for general photography. Congratulations on your new camera Trey!

Old 2009-04-28, 10:01am
szglassy

I have a D70 and now that I know how to use most of it......I love it!

there's a bit of a learning curve and trial and error getting a picture right as it related to the functions of your camera, but it's all worth it in the end!

enjoy your new toy!
Old 2009-04-28, 10:17am
da General

Congrats, Trey! I LOVE B&H Photo!!!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-04-28, 10:46am
Present tense

Well, then they sold two of them this week. Mine should be here tomorrow. I have so much to learn, but I sooooo can't wait!

I'm currently using a 4.3MP Olympus that I bought in 2003, which was a pretty nice camera back then. But it uses the obsolete SmartMedia, and I'm down to one card. It's a matter of time before it fails too, and then it'll be a matter of time before they can't be purchased at all. Besides, I've been wanting to step up my photography adventures and have been envying DH's D70 since he got it.

|
|

- non-glassy de-stash (shoes, books, yarn, Coach)
Old 2009-04-28, 3:30pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

You will LOVE that camera - it is awesome. Congrats!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-04-29, 3:05am
Knob Creek Glass

Yeah. Should take great pictures of your son!!! And your garden!! Oh, and do not forget the beads.
Old 2009-04-29, 5:41pm
Present tense

Squid, you're right - it's an awesome camera! I've been going around the house taking pictures of inane stuff, just 'cause I can. Wow - worlds of difference from what I've been using, and that's just with point and shoot! Can't wait to delve in and start experimenting in earnest!

|
|

- non-glassy de-stash (shoes, books, yarn, Coach)
Old 2009-04-29, 5:59pm
ManBearPig

Just another bit of praise for B&H....

Ordered our new video camera yesterday, but forgot to order a bag for it. Called first thing this morning to add the bag, and our camera had already shipped out. But, the guy gave me free shipping on the bag since I tried to get it added to the previous order...

Old 2009-05-04, 11:27am

I have a D40. I love it. People think I'm an amazing photographer-haha. My shots of my kids playing sports are awesome! Check out this pic of baby elephants. I was really far away. That is with the zoom lense that came with the camera.

Old 2009-05-04, 11:42am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I read a blog post recently that said the "A" setting on Nikon DSLRs doesn't stand for automatic, it stands for Awesome - I totally agree!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-05-04, 12:17pm
make beads not war

OMG... no kidding. I also got a D90 recently and *happy sigh*. Best investment EVER.
Old 2009-05-05, 3:49am
Knob Creek Glass

Allright Trey, where are the pictures???
Old 2009-05-06, 7:12pm
DSDWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaracollins View Post
Allright Trey, where are the pictures???
Here's one for you

Old 2009-05-06, 7:49pm
<--- Time traveler

What a great shot! Your son is a cutie.
Old 2009-05-08, 3:27am
Knob Creek Glass

OOOH!! GIve him Hugs for me.
Old 2009-05-08, 5:58am
Flaming Redhead!

I don't think the D90 can do that, however I think you can buy software that can help with that although it's spendy. The Canon 40D comes with that capability/software and it's an awesome feature! That's the way I take pics, it's so much easier than looking through the viewfinder...and yeh, my eyes are bad too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
ROFL! Actually, it stands for "Aperture".

I LOVE my D40, but am lusting after a D90. I want to be able to hook up to my computer monitor or television for sharper manual focussing (wer're talking glass photos here) and the D40 cannot do that. The D90 MAY be able to.
My eyes are so bad I have trouble getting things into focus. I like to focus manually.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2009-05-08, 7:39am
Flaming Redhead!

The D90 can do it, but with additional software...like this one...http://www.breezesys.com/NKRemote/index.htm at $95 that's not too bad. But, like I said, the Canon comes with everything already. The difference between them dollar wise, if that's the feature you really want, is roughly $35...so, it's really negligible.

We have both cameras...DH uses the Nikon and I use the Canon. Between the two I honestly couldn't tell the difference in picture quality. However, the difference in using them was quite a bit...I like them both, but I prefer the Canon for ease of use...too bad the dang thing is so heavy!!!

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2009-05-08, 2:27pm

B&H is very reputable!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-05-10, 9:29am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

I joined the Nikon team....but just got a baby one...S620....but I love it....I can take macro images as well as have something small enough to slide in my pocket when I'm out and about. As someone with NO camera skills, I've discovered that if you are taking photos of things that make your heart sing AND they are in focus it's a beautiful thing. Rare is the time I'm without it....

Old 2009-05-24, 8:05pm

I've had a Nikon SLR manual camera for years, but I just bought a CanonEOS 40D and I love it!

I only use the automatic when taking photos of my beads in the booth, but when taking scenery shots, I use all the options available to get the most out of my photos.

Like this sunrise/fog shot. I had to do some tricky stuff to get that natural orange glow of the sun (non of it photoshopped)
Attached Images

Old 2009-05-25, 7:53am
HourGlass Studio

Great shots Shari...I love my Canon 40D aswell !