LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-10-12, 1:28pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Default What is going on with my glass, help!

For the past few days .....well a picture says a thousand words so take a look please. What is happening and yes I have been washing my glass before torching and I don't believe I am working in the wrong part of the flame. It is costing me time and money, help!

please..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-10-12, 1:43pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

What kind of torch? Are you using a new propane tank? New torch? Could be dirty propane - or it could be your torch adjustment is off. Have you "drained" your propane hose lately?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-10-12, 1:45pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Hothead, hmz, I wonder if it is dirty..

I have had this propane tank for years.

Can you please remind me how to drain it?

Old 2009-10-12, 1:48pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I've never actually done it, but from what I have read, you hang the hose over something so both ends are hanging toward the floor - gunky stuff should come out.

Did you just get the tank refilled?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-10-12, 1:50pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Yes I just got the tank refilled but it was doing this before then...

I think......

Has this ever happened to you?

Old 2009-10-12, 1:55pm
Does my glass look 2 big?

From when I had a HH and propane, I would hang my hose actually with the end that connects to the torch down. I really don't know for a fact this is the right way, but some drops of dirty oil would ooze sometimes.
Do you bleed your hose after every session? You close your propane at the tank end, light your torch and let the last of the propane in your hose burn off. I would do this after every single session. Still do on a double fuel torch.
Also, it's best to start up with a brand new propane tank, and when it's time to refill take it in and have yours refilled, not exchanged.

It's frustrating, I know, hope this helps!

Old 2009-10-12, 1:59pm
Jacqueline Parkes

No I have been lazy and not bleeding the tank.

I will check the hoses, start bleeding after each torch session and purchase a new tank. I think it is almost ten years old anyways.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olimpia View Post
From when I had a HH and propane, I would hang my hose actually with the end that connects to the torch down. I really don't know for a fact this is the right way, but some drops of dirty oil would ooze sometimes.
Do you bleed your hose after every session? You close your propane at the tank end, light your torch and let the last of the propane in your hose burn off. I would do this after every single session. Still do on a double fuel torch.
Also, it's best to start up with a brand new propane tank, and when it's time to refill take it in and have yours refilled, not exchanged.

It's frustrating, I know, hope this helps!

Old 2009-10-12, 3:47pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Okay I have the hose removed from the propane tank and torch. I have it hanging upside down but I don't see how gunk can fall from it as both ends only have very very tiny holes.

Anyone?

Old 2009-10-12, 4:32pm
Just Me

Propane actually has an oil added to it to give it a smell. Propane itself doesnt smell at all. So the oil they add might be what is causing your trouble. When you get your tank refilled the big tank might have been low and you got extra oil in your tank.... Mine did it and I am on a duel fuel....change the tank and see how you go. Let the torch burn for a few mins beofre you start. Hope it goes well for you!

Remember it's already tomorrow in Australia!
Old 2009-10-12, 4:41pm
Lampworkaholic!

Bleeding your line is essential for safety.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-10-12, 4:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Bleeding your line is essential for safety.
AMEN. I burn off the remaining fuel in my line every single time I torch.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2009-10-12, 4:58pm
I practice alchemy!

What's your weather like? My glass burns like that if there's a large temperature fluctuation during the day. Maybe try turning down your flame a bit. I have excellent luck burning those glass colors that you showed. If I turn the torch way down even farther than usual and work out about two inches farther in the flame I can usually manage to get the glass to behave. Any time I have an iffy glass I start it out at the end of the flame and just work up until I have soda flare. Then I work there.

Celeste
Old 2009-10-12, 5:16pm
And silence is golden

It looks like you have some rods with silver in them. I also see white alabaster glass there which has a tendencey to get the dirties in it. If it is the oil in the fuel, then emptying it out like others have said wouldn't be a bad idea. I spoke to someone recently who told me that he had the oil in his hose, and he just replaced it instead of hanging it. He said that you can never really get all of the oil out. Hense your beads will always have dirty scuming in them from time to time.

Maybe someone will chime in to elaborate on my post.
Old 2009-10-12, 7:05pm
Jacqueline Parkes

But I am still confused about how to clean the hose. How does the gunk fall from the hose from such small holes?

Old 2009-10-12, 7:26pm
And silence is golden

I had the oil in mine once. I was actually able to see the oil come out of the end. To clean it out, I hung it from a tree. Then I tried to blow it out with an air compressor. Finally, I twirled around in circles, holding one end, hoping that centrifical motion would force the oil out. (picture that)! I got most of it out, but occasionally I get some scum.

You should take the head off to expose the orifice. Wipe the end to see if there is any oil residue. If you don't see any, try spinning like I did. Wipe the end again to see if there is any oil.
Old 2009-10-12, 7:46pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Okay I did laugh while picturing that LOL

I think I will post a picture in the morning to show you what I mean. I don't think anyone is understanding when I speak about the tiny holes. I am wondering if there is another piece that I still need to remove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
I had the oil in mine once. I was actually able to see the oil come out of the end. To clean it out, I hung it from a tree. Then I tried to blow it out with an air compressor. Finally, I twirled around in circles, holding one end, hoping that centrifical motion would force the oil out. (picture that)! I got most of it out, but occasionally I get some scum.

You should take the head off to expose the orifice. Wipe the end to see if there is any oil residue. If you don't see any, try spinning like I did. Wipe the end again to see if there is any oil.

Old 2009-10-12, 7:47pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

The residue will come through the tiny holes

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-10-12, 7:58pm
And silence is golden

Squid is right. When you take the torch head apart, you will see one "tiny" hole. This is where you will see any oil.
Old 2009-10-12, 8:37pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Okay thank you. It is hanging upside down on my balcony. I already miss my torch. Am I an addict?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
The residue will come through the tiny holes

Old 2009-10-12, 8:57pm
Corgi Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
I already miss my torch. Am I an addict?
Yes, but you're in good company here!

Old 2009-10-12, 9:25pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Okay thank you. It is hanging upside down on my balcony. I already miss my torch. Am I an addict?
Lol! Now dab the end with paper towel and see if there is a wet spot!
Old 2009-10-12, 9:41pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I did and there was nothing. I have already hooked it back up and started making beads again. Okay I need some type of support group as this is the second session with the kiln today and it is almost ten pm.

This time the rod did not get ruined on the end so we shall see..

Quote:
Lol! Now dab the end with paper towel and see if there is a wet spot!

Old 2009-10-12, 9:47pm
*Desa Elliott*

Quote:
I spoke to someone recently who told me that he had the oil in his hose, and he just replaced it instead of hanging it. He said that you can never really get all of the oil out. Hense your beads will always have dirty scuming in them from time to time.

Maybe someone will chime in to elaborate on my post.
I have had this problem as well, I just can't afford to replace the hoses right now. Why wouldn't it work to flush the hose with Dawn and really hot water, rinse it well, and hang it to dry? That should get the oil out, and the hose should dry in a day if hung straight, like from a balcony.

Any thoughts?

Desa

G-88
Creideamh, Sųil, Dėlseachd

(Scottish Gaelic: Faith, Hope, Love)

www.ETSY.com/shop/GothicGlassJewelry
Old 2009-10-12, 9:59pm
Jacqueline Parkes

But how would you do that since the hose is not accessible with that tiny hole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreFiend View Post
I have had this problem as well, I just can't afford to replace the hoses right now. Why wouldn't it work to flush the hose with Dawn and really hot water, rinse it well, and hang it to dry? That should get the oil out, and the hose should dry in a day if hung straight, like from a balcony.

Any thoughts?

Desa

Old 2009-10-12, 10:37pm
I speak Murrini!

Hum...I'd be hesitant to use any water, detergent, etc. on my hose. I can tell you that I've experienced that same "burn" thing even on a Hot Head with MappPro...and it's always when I first light the torch and the canister is brand new and full. I'm gonna guess that the "oil" (smell additive) is probably strongest or closest to the torch end of the canister when it's full. And this is a signal that my flame is a bit high. I turn the flame down a bit, let it burn free for about 60 seconds, then work my glass a bit farther out in the flame. As the fuel pressure relaxes a bit after this first ignition, I have no further problems.

I've also had it happen when I take a canister that's only half full, and give it a shake to see about how full it is. I no longer do this...I actually can weigh them and get a pretty good idea if I really need to know. I think shaking or agitating the canister (and maybe this has happened with the recent refilling of your bulk tank) makes that oil come to the uppermost section of the tank/canister - and it burns a bit dirty until it settles down again.

Let us know how you're doing...and yes, I hear your pain/addiction! It is a voice I know quite well

Good luck!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-10-13, 1:02am
I need more boro stuff

Quote:
But how would you do that since the hose is not accessible with that tiny hole?
Try to leave the HH knob open and let the hose hanging upside down that way overnight (better if you leave it like this for 24 hours)
The oil will drip slowly.

When I was on HH, I usually do this once a week and always burn the left over gas in hose every time I finish torching.

Old 2009-10-13, 2:31am
one day at a time

Is that Bullseye glass there?? Mine always sooted like that on the HH, especially with propane. Try working further out in the flame, and that doesn't help, try propylene, MAPP, or other equivalents of brazing fuel that are available in your area. They burn cleaner and slightly hotter than propane.

Your local welding shop/supplier can tell you what they have and what size tanks they carry. I was using a 60lb tank of propylene and I LOVED it.
Old 2009-10-13, 2:35am

My first thought was bullseye dense white which gets like that on a hothead if your too close to the flame.
Another thing to look at is how old is your HotHead? DeAnne was having the same problems with all colors and then replaced her torch and she's as good as new!
Might want to check that option as well!

Old 2009-10-13, 7:47am

When I worked on a HH this only happened when the tank was almost empty. If you put the "dirty" end of the glass in a flame from a new tank/canister this will burn off and it will be good as new.

Old 2009-10-13, 8:02am
Jacqueline Parkes

It is a new hothead and yes some of those glasses are BE but not all . Some are moretti and uroboros as well.

Still have the same issue but no time to get a new tank today. Blah. I sure appreciate all the input though.

I did figure out one problem I had last week though. My bucket of mud bead release was just dripping down my mandrels and I could not figure out why it had changed as it was working well for me before. Today the light bulb went on as the problem no longer exists.

This occurs when you have new mandrels. Once they you use them, the release sticks better.

Love light bulb moments..