LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-01, 2:54pm
one day at a time

Default Who else besides me is "way behind the times" with all this new glass??

I want to know that I am not alone here in being way behind with the new colors and new glass that pops up all the time. In the soft glass lines, I mean. I don't even know what these silver colors are by name and what they are supposed to look like. I see all over this forum - striking, unstriking, silver this, silver that, blah..blah..blah... I don't know what they are talking about, and I rarely ever have time to look in the Gallery just to see. I don't bother anyway because I can't afford the stuff.

I bought 1/4 lb of Gaia when it first came out a looong time ago! That was IT. hehe BUT I did get some new and interesting frits from ThatFritGirl! Chalcedony and a few of the Multicolors. Please tell me it's okay to break away and have some FUN....can I??? LOL

Who else is working with just the ol' "original" stuff, like Effetre, Vetrofond, Urorboros, Bullseye, and frits, which have been around a while??
Old 2010-01-01, 2:59pm
Jacqueline Parkes

The manufacturers will always be coming up with new and better glass to get us to open our wallets. Don't try to keep up with the Jones, just have fun. Or try to.......

I too am always behind in buying that extra special new glass.

My first want is that multi color dark something or another from Reichenbach? I probably don't even spell the name correctly LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-01, 3:25pm
Lover of all things color

Unfortunately I'm not. But I can tell you this, and it will save you tons of money, most of the silver reduction glasses all reduce to the same shades of turquoise. So, pick one or two and go for it. May I suggest Triton, it is the most versatile and can withstand the heat of encasement and still show the sheen. (can you tell it's my favorite?)

As for striking glass, boy those are all over the board. The multi color dark is a striking color. I haven't had too much luck with those. Still learning I'm afraid.

If your really interested go to the Patio and fine the SE5 exchange. They share how they made each bead that is posted there so that you can find some that you like and get just that glass. They also have tons of information on each of the striking and reduction glasses.

tootles,

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2010-01-01, 3:50pm
one day at a time

Thanks, Jan! That's a wealth of info in your post, and of course, I certainly wasn't aware of any of it!

Now I'm glad I started this thread because now the others like me (who have been in the dark) know where to go to get started on some new things! New things in this ever changing glassy world.
Old 2010-01-01, 4:03pm

Glad it helped. Hayley has hosted five of these swaps and they just get better and better. After the swap is over she sells a booklet with all of the beads and how each of them were made with as many tips as possible. Very helpful for achieving like results.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2010-01-01, 4:23pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

I want to be in that next exchange!!!

--Joy

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2010-01-01, 4:30pm
And silence is golden

Old 2010-01-01, 4:31pm

Joy, Hayley will announce it some time in the spring. She is just now putting together the booklet together from SE5. I think you can still buy the booklets from the previous swaps though. It is a great one, she has weekly mini challenges, like working with a specific glass. She give away some of her wonderful beads to the winners, who are drawn at random. They really are fun swaps and they kind of force you to play with some of the silver glass that's out there.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2010-01-01, 5:15pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

I am on the list for SE6, I think. I look forward to playing!

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2010-01-01, 7:28pm
Lampworkaholic!

I fall on the opposite end of the spectrum, I have to try every single new glass that comes out. But I know Michael Barley and Andrea Guarino work almost 100% in classic Effetre colors. They do both use a lot of silver leaf (not foil) and they both make amazing beads.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-01-01, 7:53pm
Life is change. Love it

I also have to try every single new glass that comes out. So much so that I forget about a lot of the glass I do have. Once in a while I look around and rediscover glass that has been collecting dust in my cubbys.

I am a huge silver glass ho, I'm ashamed to say I think I have every single colour that is in production.

Old 2010-01-01, 8:16pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
I am a huge silver glass ho, I'm ashamed to say I think I have every single colour that is in production.
Ooooo I wish! But realistically, I will try out one at a time, until I find a few that please me. My regular supplier sells some by the rod, so I don't have to order 1/4 lb, which gets pretty $$$

So, who sells these silver colors by the rod??
Old 2010-01-02, 8:54am
Life is change. Love it

You can buy by the rod from here but they are in Canada, so I'm not sure that is your best option http://artistryinglass.on.ca/index.html

Old 2010-01-02, 9:00am
uncouthful cats

I think Delphi carries most of them by the rod.

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2010-01-02, 10:41am

I *wish* I had all the new colors. (I don't)

On the other hand I *do* know about a lot of them, because I READ everything, all the time, obsessively. I'm an information sponge. While other people are goofing around in chat, or in the family room, or bathroom, I'm the one in the tips/techniques forum, or in the gallery, reading every freakin' thread I can open on every kind of glass. I read the sale rack for announcements of what's arriving, who is rolling out what new tools, & what new glass just came in, & then I read the silver glass threads for what is worked & how.
Why?

Well, just in case Nikki sends me a short rod from one of her giant scores of "bought out a studio" & I can identify it! I certainly don't want to WASTE a half-rod of something precious by working it the wrong way!

Plus, I've been able to better spend the very, very few dollars I do come across on the best things for my own use--for example when mom called & said I had $x for christmas, I knew exactly which vendor had the sale I wanted to spend it at! It was the EXACT amount, with shipping included to cover the brass marver @ the sale price for my cricket! And when I sold ONE bead on etsy, I knew that I wanted to try chalcedony *desperately* & that "that frit girl" had the frit & I could get an ounce of it for just about what my bead sold for.... & *exactly* what tricks to try when working it, so it only took me 2 beads to get decent results Very important when you only get to light the torch twice a month due to weather/work schedules/etc.

I was also able to part with some precious lauscha I had stashed (it's replaceable ) in a "want to buy" in the garage & swap for some goodies from a etsy vendor who needed it to complete her own special order--I've got dichro stringers to try (can't wait to light my torch again!! This freakin' snowstorm needs to STOP!!)

Oh & a lot of the stuff by the rod can be had from Howaco & from Bill @ Moretti & More as well!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2010-01-02, 12:06pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

Lisi,

You are certainly not alone. I started before all this silver stuff, and a few years ago had to put all my studio stuff in boxes for about four years. When I came back, you can imagine how everything had changed. It exploded, and I'm still trying to keep up.

I ordered a sample pack of the Double Helix. I tested most of them out, but of course they react differently and I am still confused as to what rod needs to be reduced, oxidized, striking, chilled, etc. I really love NYX and it encases well..... for me.

Old 2010-01-03, 1:03pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torched Art View Post
Lisi,

You are certainly not alone. I started before all this silver stuff, and a few years ago had to put all my studio stuff in boxes for about four years. When I came back, you can imagine how everything had changed. It exploded, and I'm still trying to keep up.

I ordered a sample pack of the Double Helix. I tested most of them out, but of course they react differently and I am still confused as to what rod needs to be reduced, oxidized, striking, chilled, etc. I really love NYX and it encases well..... for me.
Oh, that's right! Double Helix does offer a sample pack as well. Thanks for reminding me!
Old 2010-01-03, 1:36pm
Ad astra per aspera

I'm severely lost, too. I've tried to keep up but it's $$$ and I don't seem to have the knack with a lot of the colors that so many others do. Oh well, can't be wonderful with everything, right? I love looking at what others are doing.

Old 2010-01-04, 1:40pm

TAG and Precision offer sample packs as well. Ask your favorite glass vendor. ;-D

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2010-01-04, 3:06pm

I simply cannot afford all the new colors so I experiment when I have a little extra change in my pocket and can buy some. I had bought Khaos, Luna, and Psyche last summer and since I work on a hothead and am totally unable to get anything out of them I resolved to not do too much silver glass till I get my torch upgraded. But I will splurge on a pretty new color from time to time.
Old 2010-01-04, 3:44pm
Bead Artist Wannabee

I am an ol' stick in the mud I guess. I am not enthralled with the "new" glass. It all begins to look the same to me. I agree with Larry Scott...a little goes a long way. I am still trying to learn about standard 104 glass. I haven't run out of things to do with it yet. In fact I have returned to basics and am practicing practicing practicing them. Don't need $100 a pound glass for that. LOL Just call me a luddite.

Mini CC on duo 5 LPM oxycons
Old 2010-01-04, 3:54pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I own a lot of the silver glass that's available now, but don't have it all. I have my favorites and I keep buying them. Double Helix is by far the easiest for me to work. The glass I don't buy much is the Rocio line. I have DaVinci and Van Gogh and have never been satisfied with the results, so I don't buy from them anymore. I do have favorites in the TAG and Precision line of glass, but they are a little more challenging.

Patsy

Ebay:
Old 2010-01-04, 9:13pm
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
TAG and Precision offer sample packs as well. Ask your favorite glass vendor. ;-D
Jenny, I am out of Taxco Silver Turquoise and my local vendor doesn't have any. Do you? (Of course you do right, you make it!)

Old 2010-01-05, 8:48am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbeedz1 View Post
I own a lot of the silver glass that's available now, but don't have it all. I have my favorites and I keep buying them. Double Helix is by far the easiest for me to work. The glass I don't buy much is the Rocio line. I have DaVinci and Van Gogh and have never been satisfied with the results, so I don't buy from them anymore. I do have favorites in the TAG and Precision line of glass, but they are a little more challenging.

Patsy
Give them a call or email Ron or Rocio. They'll be GLAD to help you out with how to work their glass! Great customer support and very nice people!!

Jack

Old 2010-01-05, 11:14am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Silver Glass can be both reduced (easy) and struck (with a few tweaks) on a HH. Check out the Silver Glass on a HH link and also the Pleated Beads link in this forum for tips.

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-01-05, 11:30am

Quote:
Originally Posted by klcbeads View Post
I simply cannot afford all the new colors so I experiment when I have a little extra change in my pocket and can buy some. I had bought Khaos, Luna, and Psyche last summer and since I work on a hothead and am totally unable to get anything out of them I resolved to not do too much silver glass till I get my torch upgraded. But I will splurge on a pretty new color from time to time.
Oh noooo.. Im now on a Bobcat but I got my best colours from Psyche on a hothead.. just put a collar round the holes and reduce away

Old 2010-01-05, 1:49pm
The Andrea Half

I am always behind; I find that I can do a lot with silver foil/leaf, color reactions, combos, and the like. I have a few silver glasses that I just can't mimic--Taxco, for example--but even there generally as they almost all become that lovely iridescent blue/purple/green I stick with one and just have fun.

However--check out all of Leslie's (That Frit Girl's) custom blends, Lisi. I was helping her fill orders this holiday, and bought more myself. She's really got a good eye for color and proportion (and I am not just saying that 'cos she's my sister), and her signature frit blends are lovely!

Old 2010-01-05, 3:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourTailsLampwork View Post
I am always behind; I find that I can do a lot with silver foil/leaf, color reactions, combos, and the like. I have a few silver glasses that I just can't mimic--Taxco, for example--but even there generally as they almost all become that lovely iridescent blue/purple/green I stick with one and just have fun.

However--check out all of Leslie's (That Frit Girl's) custom blends, Lisi. I was helping her fill orders this holiday, and bought more myself. She's really got a good eye for color and proportion (and I am not just saying that 'cos she's my sister), and her signature frit blends are lovely!
Hey hey hey, you're the crazy sock sister

Old 2010-01-05, 6:16pm
The Andrea Half

Yes, I am, and if you like the frit, you can blame me Seriously, the socks are WONDERFUL. They are called Sol-mates (http://www.socklady.com/index.php), and I want these next! http://www.socklady.com/adultcottons...iage-socks.php

Old 2010-01-05, 10:18pm

Hey "Sock-Lady"! 'bout time you showed back up here

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies