No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-05-06, 11:46pm
Naysayer

Default Pulling murrini cane, need tool info

I've been trying bigger murrini, what do those of you that pull big gobs use to pull it yourself? My wings are not nearly long enough. So I want something that I can somehow clamp to the bench and just walk and pull ??

I've tried searching here and google, just not sure what I'm even looking for lol.
Old 2014-05-07, 12:42am

I know what you are looking for but I can't find it online, either.

One end has a clamp that attaches to a bench or beam, and the other has an acrylic handle (which, obviously, does not attach to the glass directly). In fact, I'm almost sure I have one or two, but they are outside on the patio, which doesn't have a light. I may be able to find it in the next two days to see if I can find ordering information, but I'm not guaranteeing success.

If you are in the San Francisco Bay Area and are a member of, or join the Silicon Valley Fireflies group, I'll put it in the tool lending library, if I find it.
Old 2014-05-07, 1:03am
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I use Kim.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*f

Old 2014-05-07, 3:01am

Is it this?

http://www.austinbluemoon.com/catalo...26category%3D8
Old 2014-05-07, 6:04am
Glass-aholic

There is a thread talking about a boat cam? as well somewhere. At least I think that's what it's called...let me see if I can find it.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-05-07, 6:25am
Glass-aholic

Ok here it is. http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250065

It's a cam cleat

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-05-07, 7:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon View Post
Yes, that is what I was referring to. The label on mine says that it was made by Creation~Station, but their website (www.creationstationstore.com) is no longer working.

This is now in the Silicon Valley Fireflies tool lending library.

The price at Austin Blue Moon is a very good price. When sold by Creation Station, this item was $38.00, without tax or shipping.
Old 2014-05-07, 7:50pm

Maybe Lori should put Kim in that lending library
Old 2014-05-08, 12:27am
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads View Post
I use Kim.

Ok thanks so much for the links! I remember both of those, i remembered a boat thing but heck if I could find the thread. I can't figure how it works, but I'm sure once it was in hand I would.

De Anza, have you tried it then I take it? I'm not in the SF area unfortunately, 30.00 isn't bad if it's easy to use.

eta...lol, their 'see it in action' page, ummm http://www.austinbluemoon.com/pages/pullit.php

Last edited by Ravenesque; 2014-05-08 at 12:35am.
Old 2014-05-08, 5:17am

Sorry, I'm not set up for glass work right now. I'll try to get a scan of the directions posted tomorrow. I'm not sure how well they will scan because they are printed on yellow card stock. I thought I knew how it worked, but now I'm not sure.

The boat cam cleat idea looks like it would work best. It's like a plastic tie wrap where you insert the loose end and you can't pull it out again, only instead of a ratchet preventing motion, it is just friction. I think the size of the cleat would determine if you could attach a mandrel or a punty.

Speaking of repurposing, if you used to do leaded stained glass work, the stationary end of a came stretcher would work the same way as the boat cam.
http://www.amazon.com/Lead-Came-Vise.../dp/B004A6H47W
The spring loaded version might be better (since the non-spring loaded version works best if you use a hammer to set the grip):
http://www.amazon.com/Glastar-Spring.../dp/B00B1JX1S2
Here is one for less than half that price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHOICE-Sprin...-/360862551701

The difference might be that a rubber cam cleat would probably hold a punty better. I'll try to test how well the came vise holds a mandrel.

Last edited by De Anza Art Glass Club; 2014-05-08 at 5:37am.
Old 2014-05-08, 8:09pm

I have the instructions, but the files are too big to upload to LE, and I'm not sure how far I can reduce the size without making them unreadable. I can email the files on request.

The procedure is not what I thought. I imagined that the purpose of the large handle was to make twisting the pull easier, if desired.

The glass rods included are boro. The aluminum bracket is fastened or clamped to a table. After the murrine is built, the free end is attached to the boro rod with the handle installed. Then the handle is placed in the bracket through a slot.

I haven't found my cane vise yet to give feedback on how well that works.
Old 2014-05-08, 10:38pm
Naysayer

Now that I see how the boat thingy works, I think I'll go with that, some places have them very cheap.

The came puller looks a bit tricky to get it under there fast enough.

Thanks so much for all the help!
Old 2014-05-09, 6:59am

I remember seeing somewhere someone pulling the gather about a foot long, then looping it over a hook (or something like that) bolted to a table and walking away with both ends. (did that make sense?).

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2014-05-09, 11:09am
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
Maybe Lori should put Kim in that lending library
No way! I don't share the Kim.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2014-05-09, 1:02pm
Sucks at being nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeads View Post
I remember seeing somewhere someone pulling the gather about a foot long, then looping it over a hook (or something like that) bolted to a table and walking away with both ends. (did that make sense?).

-D
In my old house I used to have a hook in the wall. Now I use a hook on my big glass shelving. I made corresponding hooks on the ends of large mandrels that I sometimes use for punties. I was gifted some Noodlesaurus punties in the Secret Santa which are pretty heavy duty. I am trying to figure out the best way to make hooks on the ends of them.