Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-08-09, 11:54pm

Default bead cracking - large hollows

I am trying to make large hollow beads and they are cracking at the bead hole. I am figuring it is the temp. and/ anneal time but does anyone know which or how to overcome this??
Thanks for your help.
Old 2011-08-10, 12:22am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Doesn't sound like an annealing thing to me at all. What beadrelease are you using, and how do you clean your hollow beads? If your beadrelease is too thin, your hollow bead could get damaged while taking it off the mandrel ( wich shows around the beadhole, that's the place where your bead will crack), and you could also damage it when cleaning out the holes.

I found if I am not carefull with cleaning my bead, the holes will crack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-08-10, 2:09am

It might also be thermal shock. Are you keeping your glass around the holes warm while making the big discs ? It's not enough to heat the discs from the rim, you have to turn the mandrel 90° so that the whole of the face of the disc is kept warm.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2011-08-10, 7:55pm
daughter and I

Try heating the mandrel on each side of the bead. That tip came from a instructor at hot times, not sure if it was brad or trey or the maker of the puffy mandrel.

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.