Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-11-01, 6:27am

Default help with Pulled Bails

Hi, Don't know if anyone saw my posting on Oct. show and tell with my first "pulled bail". The first one I did using my tweezers. Yesterday I tried one attaching a punty before I started heating the top half and as you guessed it was mostly what melted and streched. If anyone could share ideas/pictures/tutorial. That would be great.
Thanks.

Sue
Old 2010-11-01, 8:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangell View Post
Hi, Don't know if anyone saw my posting on Oct. show and tell with my first "pulled bail". The first one I did using my tweezers. Yesterday I tried one attaching a punty before I started heating the top half and as you guessed it was mostly what melted and streched. If anyone could share ideas/pictures/tutorial. That would be great.
Thanks.

Sue
To be honest, this is just something you need to practice alot. Eventually you will get a good feel for the amount of heat you need to put into the glass, and how to read when the glass is at the right point by color, and feel. however, if you want to use a punty to pull out the top loop, you might have better luck if you use a very stiff color such as black, or turbo cobalt. It will stretch a lot less quickly than the pendant, and you can blow on the punty a little bit right before you pull if it is a little too hot. Good luck, and have fun.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-11-01, 8:44am

I was going to say start with stiffer glass but sounds like Eric mentioned that. Other than that, just practice. I learned how to do these after reading Cosmo's book but there are probably other sources. I've switched to doing poked bails almost exclusively though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Download Bails Made Easy & Homefill adapter tutorials free.
Old 2010-11-01, 12:41pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangell View Post
Thanks.

Sue
They take practice, but once you figure out where to heat and how long, it's pretty simple. I cover that technique in both of my pendant books.

Don't you have one of my books? I thought you did. If so, e-mail me or call me and I'll walk you through it...

Old 2010-11-01, 1:06pm

Default No book yet, but...

I am the person you very nicely did the tutorial for the "brain" tutorial. I would love to purchase one of your books. Which one would you recommend for this technique.
Thanks.
Old 2010-11-01, 1:20pm
ManBearPig

Either of my pendant books. Just depends on how comfortable you are making pendants. The section on loops/bails is the same in both books. Volume 1 is beginner to intermediate techniques (all done on solid rod). Volume 2 is more advanced (a lot of tubing work).

Or just buy them both...

Old 2010-11-01, 1:48pm
Harold Williams Cooney

The pulled bail is a great example of how in boro flameworking the simplest things can turn out to be the biggest problems; keep at it and you'll get it.

good luck and keep sharing photos of your work.

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2010-11-01, 2:38pm
Happy Beadmaker!

Hope this helps, but someone (can't recall who it was) used to teach that practicing just for the sake of practice is the best way.

In other words, don't practice on the wonderful pendant you just made -- practice on a practice piece. Make a big old clear bead and pull loops all over it. Melt 'em in, pull some more loops, etc. That way your hands will begin to get the feel of it...

HTH!
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2010-11-02, 12:53am

Hi, My pulled bails used to not look very good. But recently I bought a
'Handy Andy' tool & with some experimenting I have achieved a nice looking
bail. I attach a rod of the color I want the bail, to where I want to have the
bail. Then I use the flame to cut the rod off, leaving about a half inch of the
rod sticking out & with the one end attached to the pendant. Next I heat the
half inch rod & make it firmly attached. Then condence to a ball of glass. I use
either a small mashers or tweezers to flatten (mash together) the ball's sides,
then use the Handy Andy to make a poked hole in it. All that's left to do is reamer
it to enlarge the hole.
The Handy Andy tool is my new favorite tool, it's really great. No more having
to try to poke a hole with a pick in the flame.
Old 2010-11-02, 5:21am
Pyromaniac

I don't typically do pulled bails, handy andy's get the job done for me. On the other hand maybe I should think about trying them, I got caught without my handy andy's the other day and it got really ugly!

Cosmo, I've said it before, you should offer a package deal for people who buy ALL of your books. It is the holiday season, and lists are being made... I already have Bandhu's Vol III on my list...

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-11-02, 7:47am
Skeptical Optimist

Practice! Make sure you're not using imaginary glass knitting needles, too. I've had students that angle the rods too closely together when closing their bails and that is their biggest problem. Tack on, pull out like you're making a question mark, tack to the bottom, then melt off, smooth out with tungsten pick, and you're done Another good option when practicing is to make a bunch of bails of different sizes and have them ready on your bench premade. That way when you're working on a piece with lots of detail, you don't waste time letting it cool while fighting with your bail. Also, don't fight the glass. Good luck!

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2010-11-02, 2:08pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
I don't typically do pulled bails, handy andy's get the job done for me. On the other hand maybe I should think about trying them, I got caught without my handy andy's the other day and it got really ugly!

Cosmo, I've said it before, you should offer a package deal for people who buy ALL of your books. It is the holiday season, and lists are being made... I already have Bandhu's Vol III on my list...
I've been kicking around that idea. We'll see what happens...

Old 2010-11-02, 7:37pm
daughter and I

Don't think too hard Cosmo- just do it!

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.
Old 2010-11-02, 8:42pm
Somebody's watching me!

-i make the pendant.
-punti to opposite edge of the top.
-heat about 2/3 from designated top towards the bottom..leaving the punti area cool
-grab a warm (not glowing) scrap rod.
-holding the pendant upside down, touch the scrap rod the the "top" and pull out 2-3mm.
-then SLOWWWLY (and if you think you're going slow enough, go slower) pull the scrap rod straight down.
-flame cut scrap rod off. melt in any of the "hazing" from stressing the glass.
- get the new loop material to a nice soft glow while holding it upside down
-take warm tweezers and bend the loop up and touch it to the back. let the glow go away. then melt in and shape as desired with a carbon or brass rod.

but practice on clear or some asian colors or something cheap. using colors gives you that stiff glass feel, but it's hard to get cheaper practice than with clear. a slow pull is key. good luck

justin

Old 2010-11-02, 8:47pm
Somebody's watching me!

oh wait..i think im not on the same page as everyone else. i went a looked up some pictures of what a bail "should" look like. I am describing a shepards hook. wasn't clear on what you were trying to do. but i use cosmos' technique. it's legit. boro pendants vol. 2

Old 2010-11-03, 6:37am
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I've been kicking around that idea. We'll see what happens...
I'd suggest kicking it exactly 75 times (and including the hollow bead dealie along with the 3 books). Black Friday is coming Think fast!

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-11-03, 8:24am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
I'd suggest kicking it exactly 75 times (and including the hollow bead dealie along with the 3 books). Black Friday is coming Think fast!
Ask and you shall receive...

http://www.cosmoglassworks.com/store...4&cat=3&page=1