Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-05-31, 8:20pm
bryntaran

Question How the heck can I make hat pins?

Just got back from driving horses and needed to wear a hat. My hat stayed on but a friend's tried to fly off a few times. I recall my mom having hat pins to hold her hats on and wondered how I could make them. Not sure what kind of metal to use, where to get it, how to anneal, the whole thing. Any thoughts and/or ideas would be much appreciated.
Judy
Old 2011-05-31, 8:23pm
Sheila Davis Designs

I don't know about adding glass,but I have bought hatpins from Fire MT. the kind you add beads to.They're kinda pointy at one end.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-06-01, 1:17am
Hobby Junkie

You could always make a bead on the end of an uncoated 1/16" mandrel. After it is annealed, cut it to the length you want and grind the end into a point.

Old 2011-06-01, 8:54am
Run Free Sweet Boy

you can also get thinner SS welding rod.. but what Cori says...

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2011-06-01, 6:37pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Brass and copper make good hat pins, kinda like hair sticks but longer. You see them at Ren faires, SciFi Convention dealers and SCA merchants.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-06-01, 7:50pm
daughter and I

My cousin just ordered some hat pin blanks -on the internet. They were so near to 1/16 mandrels. Would just news to sharpen one end and buy some end caps. We made them for wedding hats - with my beads on the ends. Used clear earring stoppers to hold the beads in place.

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.