Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-01, 5:18pm
Mary Lockwood

I really like what Ann said about personal responsibility. It is a lot like emailing a beadmaker and asking them to tell you whether it is ok with them for you to sell beads that look like theirs. You are putting your ethical decision in someone else's hands and I think that isn't a very self reliant way to solve the problem. Beads, tutorials, microwave ovens...people need to make their own decisions and then live with the consequences or rewards of them.

Do your research, find out what you need to know, then make a decision you are ready to stand behind. That's it.

~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Moth; 2009-01-01 at 5:21pm. Reason: typo
Old 2009-01-01, 5:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermo View Post
I agree... When I create something, be it a bead or a written tutorial, I would not feel comfortable leaving the "decision" of whether or not my work is "original" enough to others who may have a conflict of interest. I might ask friends who I feel could give me a relatively honest opinion, but in the end, I feel that it's my right (and responsibility) to make my own decisions.

I do understand (and agree with) the whole issue of respecting what others have done before me, but I am the only one who truly knows what went into something I've made, what my intentions were, and where my inspiration and ideas came from. If they came from someone (or something) other than myself, I would certainly credit the inspiration, or who gave me the idea.

I just think it's wrong to expect others to be the judge of whether or not I should offer something for sale, based on their criteria, rather than my own. That just sets everyone up for conflict. I will make my own decisions, and if I feel unsure, try to find an unbiased source for feedback, but ultimately, the decision - and the responsibility for that decision - is mine.

Schermo
Such rational, mature, logic thinking. Thank you.
Old 2009-01-01, 5:24pm
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I really like what Ann said about personal responsibility. It is a lot like emailing a beadmaker and asking them to tell you whether it is ok with them for you to sell beads that look like theirs. You are putting your ethical decision in someone else's hands and I think that isn't a very self reliant way to solve the problem. Beads, tutorials, microwave ovens...people need to make their own decisions and then live with the consequences or rewards of them.

Do your research, find out what you need to know, then make a decision you are ready to stand behind. That's it.

~~Mary
Exactly... well said.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-01-01, 5:25pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
I'm sorry, Deb, but that happens. Not everyone can be as generous (and funny) as you are!! All I can say is, Keep up the good work!
Was that supposed to be sincere, or was it sarcasm? Seriously, I don't know.

My name is............. Deb

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2009-01-01, 5:28pm
boro color bender

It's also my experience that if somebody needs advise or guidance, it's OK to contact most beadmakers. Maybe not all, but most... generally a pretty easy going bunch.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Quote:

*nods*

|
|
|
boro color bender

Deb, Pam was being sincere.

Old 2009-01-01, 5:29pm

Quote:

~~Mary
And isn't it ironic that the very person who said don't put the decision on me is now say email the tut maker ? talk about inconsistency
Old 2009-01-01, 5:31pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Thank you Brent, I hope it was.

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2009-01-01, 5:32pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post
And isn't it ironic that the very person who said don't put the decision on me is now say email the tut maker ? talk about inconsistency
I believe you have your beadmakers mixed up.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-01-01, 5:33pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Anyone can contact me at any time and ask me anything.
I've had a few people contact me asking me if I'd share the new twisty recipe I came up with after I put out my tutorial and I was more than happy to share it with them.

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2009-01-01, 5:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I believe you have your beadmakers mixed up.
I believe you are right lol
Old 2009-01-01, 5:37pm

Quote:
I guess, then, Lisa, we will have to agree to disagree. As I said, it is my opinion, and in a situation where I had concern, that is what I would do to alleviate my concern. That may not be what Pyro wants to do, and that's fine. Everyone is allowed their own opinion, as far as I know.

Pyro said, "I have been wanting to do a tut on my god and goddess beads, but after reading some of the comments in here I have to admid that I am afraid to." And she said, "any help would be greatly appreciated." Several people offered help and I did. She is free to accept the help or reject the help, depending on her feelings. I'm not sure why you have a problem with my giving my opinion. It is just that, an opinion, and it's value is determined by the person who it was offered to.

I'm sure Pyro and others wouldn't have to feel concerned, stressed and worried over writing tutorials if certain people on LE didn't feel the need to constantly pick an choose who they were going to befriend. The picking and choosing of who and who shouldn't write a tutorial or make a certain bead has really gone too far. It appears a handful of peeps believe they are the "judge and jury" for anyone that wants to expand their horizons. The constant need for these same people to over and over try to inhibit, scare, and manipulate beadmakers that aren't in their group of friends "or I want you for a friend because everyone knows your name" is sickening.

I know one thing for sure. My opinion on several people has changed over the past week through all of these threads. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has decided my money will be better spent somewhere else. These threads have done nothing more than lose business for some and intimidate others to the point they don't know what end is up.

Pam, this whole post wasn't directed at you personally. My frustration with this whole thing just seemed to pour out in this post.

Last edited by Vena; 2009-01-01 at 5:40pm.
Old 2009-01-01, 5:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsongstudio View Post
Was that supposed to be sincere, or was it sarcasm? Seriously, I don't know.
It was sincere, Deb.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-01-01, 5:38pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post
I believe you are right lol

Old 2009-01-01, 5:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
I'm sure Pyro and others wouldn't have to feel concerned, stressed and worried over writing tutorials if certain people on LE didn't feel the need to constantly pick an choose who they were going to befriend. The picking and choosing of who and who shouldn't write a tutorial or make a certain bead has really gone to far. It appears a handful of peeps believe they are the "judge and jury" for anyone that wants to expand their horizons. The constant need for these same people to over and over try to inhibit, scare, and manipulate beadmakers that aren't in their group of friends "or I want you for a friend because everyone knows your name" is sickening.

I know one thing for sure. My opinion on several people has changed over the past week through all of these threads. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has decided my money will be better spent somewhere else. These threads have done nothing more than lose business for some and intimidate others to the point the don't know what end is up.

Pam, this whole post wasn't directed at you personally. My frustration with this whole thing just seemed to pour out in this post.
Gosh, I hope not!!

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-01-01, 5:42pm

Pam, believe me it wasn't. I'm sorry I used a reply to your post to vent.
Old 2009-01-01, 5:44pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Quote:
It was sincere, Deb.
Thank you Pam.

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2009-01-01, 5:45pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
I'm sure Pyro and others wouldn't have to feel concerned, stressed and worried over writing tutorials if certain people on LE didn't feel the need to constantly pick an choose who they were going to befriend. The picking and choosing of who and who shouldn't write a tutorial or make a certain bead has really gone too far. It appears a handful of peeps believe they are the "judge and jury" for anyone that wants to expand their horizons. The constant need for these same people to over and over try to inhibit, scare, and manipulate beadmakers that aren't in their group of friends "or I want you for a friend because everyone knows your name" is sickening.

I know one thing for sure. My opinion on several people has changed over the past week through all of these threads. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has decided my money will be better spent somewhere else. These threads have done nothing more than lose business for some and intimidate others to the point they don't know what end is up.

I have only seen one thread criticizing one person for a tutorial they wrote, You must be hanging out somewhere other than LE if you are seeing people try to scare and manipulate beadmakers.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-01-01, 5:49pm
Storm Queen

Quite a few people have made some insinuations about "tutorial police" which is actually quite funny. If this has anything to do with the Bead on Bead fiasco, there were many of us that took issue with that particular tutorial and only that tutorial. I don't see any controversy regarding any other tutorial and I take no issues with any other tutorial if that actually matters to anyone, which it shouldn't. So there.

Old 2009-01-01, 5:51pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Vena:

I sure hope this statement wasn't intended for me. If so, I am sorry for it.

This is a official apology for those that I offended with my jokes that concern the Capt in reference to telling Amy to just go throw her dot beads in the garbage and my "I forgot" comments.

Now, is everybody happy?

Sara

Quote:

Old 2009-01-01, 5:52pm
boro color bender

Quote:
I'm sure I'm not the only one that has decided my money will be better spent somewhere else. These threads have done nothing more than lose business for some and intimidate others to the point they don't know what end is up.
I think you've touched on a very valid point. I'm not sure some good didn't come out of it... I feel like there were a lot of good intentions but it most certainly could have been handled better. My fear is that all of this negativity is definitely affecting peoples views of tutorials and individuals in an unproductive way. I didn't like the icky feeling I've gotten trying to read through it and i apologize again for coming in at the end and contributing to the negative feelings. I'm human and I've let my emotions guide my fingers a post or two.

Old 2009-01-01, 5:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I have only seen one thread criticizing one person for a tutorial they wrote, You must be hanging out somewhere other than LE if you are seeing people try to scare and manipulate beadmakers.
Squid,

Ok, let my make myself more clear. This whole thread is about an individual's concern over whether or not she should create a tutorial. She is afraid someone will accuse her of copying...(imagine that). So I do believe this thread alone constitutes more than "one thread" about peoples fears and the manipulation that goes on. I can't count the number of threads I've read over the years on LE with people being called out for what a few believed were "copying". Seems to me it wasn't to long ago there was a big stink over the "Chaos" tutorial when someone figured out how to do the bead before the tutorial was published and posted their technique. I remember how nasty that thread got. So to post that these things aren't happening on LE is just par for the course.
Old 2009-01-01, 5:57pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Vena,

Actually the "Has This Concept Gone Too Far" thread has helped many tutorial authors as well as those upcoming authors.

Many are wanting to know how to write a better tutorial, and what the buyers really want out of one. Of course, we all know they really want the writer to come to their studio and show them first handed. LOL!!!

Sara

Old 2009-01-01, 5:58pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Squid,

Ok, let my make myself more clear. This whole thread is about an individual's concern over whether or not she should create a tutorial. She is afraid someone will accuse her of copying...(imagine that). So I do believe this thread alone constitutes more than "one thread" about peoples fears and the manipulation that goes on. I can't count the number of threads I've read over the years on LE with people being called out for what a few believed were "copying". Seems to me it wasn't to long ago there was a big stink over the "Chaos" tutorial when someone figured out how to do the bead before the tutorial was published and posted their technique. I remember how nasty that thread got. So to post that these things aren't happening on LE is just par for the course.
Your post was in reference to beadmakers and tutorials, so that is how I responded - in reference to the same subject. A person asking because they are fearful of being accused of copying a tutorail is not the same as people trying to intimidate beadmakers. Not one single person came into this thread and said she should NOT make a tutorial as she would be copying someone else's tutorial.

Copying and writing tutorials are completely different from each other, IMO.

And, again, the chaos thing in completely unrelated.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-01-01, 6:01pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Quote:
Squid,

Ok, let my make myself more clear. This whole thread is about an individual's concern over whether or not she should create a tutorial. She is afraid someone will accuse her of copying...(imagine that). So I do believe this thread alone constitutes more than "one thread" about peoples fears and the manipulation that goes on. .
Are you saying that we should just act like a bunch of cheerleaders?

Sara

Old 2009-01-01, 6:05pm

I wish we could all get back to what is important. It seems the more we all struggle with these difficult economic times the more paranoia that sets in about "copying" and worrying about someone taking what we feel is "our dollar" away from us. I think if we focus on creativity and quit worrying about what everyone else is doing we will all find our way back together. We all have a love for glass. Why do we keep polluting this love with all the other nonsense. If we each create what we love there will be enough respect, notoriety, and money to go around for everyone. All these threads do is tear down the beadmaking community. We should all be working toward building it up. Trying to create boundaries we don't want some to cross is doing nothing more than setting all us back. We can't go forward with this art if we are continually trying to put limits on everyone. I've noticed that most of the huge names in glass, including beadmaking hardly ever post on the forums. Maybe we should all ask ourselves "why"?
Old 2009-01-01, 6:15pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Quote:
[color=#820101]I wish we could all get back to what is important. It seems the more we all struggle with these difficult economic times the more paranoia that sets in about "copying" and worrying about someone taking what we feel is "our dollar" away from us.COLOR]
This discussion has nothing to do with money or copying.

Sara

Old 2009-01-01, 6:24pm
Mary Lockwood

Nevermind, I thought I was in the 'has this gone too far thread' because it was no longer about pyro's tut. I was just reading the other one and got disoriented.

Sorry pyro. AGAIN!

~~Mary

Last edited by Moth; 2009-01-01 at 6:28pm.
Old 2009-01-01, 6:57pm

Uhhhh...where's Pyro? I think she put all of US on ignore!