LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2011-03-18, 7:32am
Your Royal Fritness

Default Oh Snap! Free Tutorial

I was walking around Hobby Lobby with Annmarie on Wednesday and stopped to check out what bobbins they had. I looked up and these Sew on Snaps caught my eye. I saw that they were nickel plated brass...hmmm the wheels started to turn and I bought a pack to try out. I am no sewer and this is right up my alley... I prefer duct tape or torches I think I might be making a few trips to different sewing shops just to check out what else I can put into glass

They had different size snaps and I will be buying the smaller ones to use for large hole pandora style beads. These are the medium size and they do work nice but when working on the smaller bead I gave it a little too much heat and you can see the brass starting to bubble up on the green pandora bead. Here are the snaps I bought, they were $1.49 and each snap is actually 2!

Saftey Note! Caution, be careful when using the nickel plated brass snaps. They need to be kept out of the flame or they will SPARK! Please use these only under a proper ventilation system. This is not the intended purpose for this product so you use them at your own risk.

Snap tutorial.

1. Make a barrel bead of opaque glass and marver it into the length you want your final bead to be. Add all your decorations before you add your snap. It is the last step.

2. Heat the surface of the glass until glowing where you want your snap to go. Pick up snap with tweezers and press it into the glowing spot. Your spot has to be glowing or your snap will not attach to the bead. Do not put snap directly into the flame. It will spark and burn off the bead.

3. Next, keep the bead below the flame and heat up a gather of clear and completely encase the snap. I like a heavy encasement of clear because it adds a lot of depth to the snap.

4. If you heat your snap too much it will bubble just like brass frit and it does look pretty cool. I like the look of the snap w/out bubbles but it is what you like that matters.

Have Fun, remember Saftey Fisrt!

Dawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-03-18, 7:43am
Does it come in Purple???

Awesome!!!! Thanks for experimenting.

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2011-03-18, 9:01am
Eight Miles Wide

fun!

Old 2011-03-18, 10:10am
put a bird on it

Cool!
Old 2011-03-18, 5:26pm

Dawn, that's really cool!
Old 2011-03-18, 6:34pm
going crazy

Very neat Dawn!

My button mandrel listed here!
Old 2011-03-18, 6:38pm
Fancies

I like it, Dawn! Thanks!

Old 2011-03-18, 6:43pm
Oh my!

Oh my, this is so cool. I think I may have to go shopping and see what I can find to use as decoration. Thanks!!!
Old 2011-03-18, 7:22pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Thanks, Dawn! I really like the one with the bubbles. It doesn't look like a snap and the pattern is nice and controlled.

Old 2011-03-18, 7:35pm
Anyone need some spacers?

Nice Dawn, Love it.

Old 2011-03-19, 5:29am
Your Royal Fritness

Mary Beth you do have a good point there Thanks everyone!

Old 2011-03-19, 6:36am

Love these! Thanks for sharing!
Old 2011-03-19, 10:52am
Your Royal Fritness

I picked up 4mm copper and antique brass fashion eyelets today at Walmart. As soon as I try them out I'll post my results, they look really cool.

Old 2011-03-21, 3:54pm

You are just too clever!!
Old 2011-03-21, 8:14pm
It's about having fun!

Ewww cool! You are such an "evil scientist" lol! thanks for sharing!!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-03-22, 2:18pm
Your Royal Fritness

Thanks guys!

Ok tried the eyelets today and I don't think they were copper & brass like package said... Any way can you say poof now I'm on the look out for some cool old brass stuff...time to take some old watches apart!

Old 2011-03-22, 9:51pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Dawn View Post
Thanks guys!

Ok tried the eyelets today and I don't think they were copper & brass like package said... Any way can you say poof now I'm on the look out for some cool old brass stuff...time to take some old watches apart!
Watch parts will work in glass. I never put them in the flame, however.

Old 2017-10-24, 10:39pm
Siberdogmom

Wow, this is so cool!
Old 2017-11-24, 4:57pm

Default Novel Idea!

What a great idea!! Opens up a lot of possibilities. Thanks for posting.
Old 2018-03-28, 6:40am

Thumbs up

What a unique idea. They are trulely original!
Old 2018-03-28, 7:42am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilydays View Post
What a unique idea. They are trulely original!
Try filling metals sewing bobbins! They make great spaceships! Again, be careful of the metal vapors. Do a search on "bobbins" and you may find a thread or two. Fun stuff.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...hlight=bobbins

Sue
and the present is a gift.

Last edited by Sue in Maine; 2018-03-29 at 5:21am.
Old 2018-03-28, 9:23pm

Now that's thinking outside the box!

Old 2018-03-30, 2:57am

Very cool!