Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-10-27, 10:06pm

Default Boro instructional books or videos

Can I get some opinions? I'd like to read about or view a video about boro beads, vessels, whatever. Not really interested in free standing sculptures or marbles just yet. Any opinoins on what the best ones are and where I can get them. Or, if anyone has any they'd be willing to lend, I'd be interested.
You know how it is... when you find something you love, you want to read and learn everything you possibly can about it.

Thanks in advance.

Jo
Old 2006-10-28, 12:04am

I highly recommend Doug Remschneider's videos, "Boro Bead Magic" (all about mandrel beads and color striking, gives great recipes) and "Blown Beads" (making blown beads with tubing, great fun!). He is an excellent teacher, giving a complete understanding of the processes from start to finish.
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2006-10-28, 1:41am
product of the universe

http://www.amazon.com/Contemporary-L...e=UTF8&s=books

this book has it all

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2006-10-28, 8:17am

I was flipping through Milon Townsend's boro book the other day, and I thought it had a lot of good info. I plan to buy a copy as a Christmas present for myself.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2006-10-28, 5:14pm
The Venerable Bead

dougs pendant video is excellent too, his recipe book as well as lori robbins recipe book and corbin freeman's boro video.

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2006-10-29, 5:44am

Thanks for all the terrific resources everyone!
Much appreciated.

Jo
Old 2006-10-31, 12:57pm
Type ZZZ personality

I've got the boro bead magic dvd I could loan you JoJoBoHo.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-10-31, 2:43pm
Skeptical Optimist

Thumbs up

As a boro enthusiast (OBSESSED, really), I think that Homer Hoyt's "Glassblowing, an Introduction to Solid and Blown Glass" is an awesome book, which starts you off melting a maria, learning how the glass moves, making drops, mushrooms, then gradually more complicated things as it teaches you more sculpture technique. The blowing part is after the sculpture, which is good because it will build on the techniques you are supposed to practice in the first half of the book. Bandu Dunham's Contemporary Lampworking is also very good, with loads of information from beginning to very advanced tecnhiques and supplies.

For soft glass I really thought Kimberly Adams' book "Complete Guide to Glass Beadmaking," which came out last year, is pretty good, though it is missing some clues Cindy Jenkins gives in "Making Glass Beads."

I'm waiting to take classes once I get the opportunity, time off, and money to go, once there are people I really really wanna learn from out here. It's almost a catch 22, since I need to make more money to afford a class, though if I wait, I might develop bad glass habits and improper technique...

People are really nice on this site, especially with tutorials compared to some other sites, but glassartists.org also has some really interesting folks willing to share technique. Be careful not to promote any of your books/videos on there, they're particular about that. And well they should be, lotsa people seem to be making smaller projects/instructional stuff that gives technique they learned from other people that Shared it with them, so poo on that. They're more into sharing than selling, it's kind of a good community vibe over there, open-mindedness and a lot of the genuine kindness you see in the nice glass folks here too. I like the layout of this site better though, easier on the eyes and whatnot.

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2006-11-01, 5:42am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticstudio
I've got the boro bead magic dvd I could loan you JoJoBoHo.
Ooo, thanks, can you bring it to BP?
Old 2006-11-01, 5:43am

Thanks for all the info, Patrice, that was a really thorough post!
Old 2006-11-01, 11:57am
Virginia Beach, VA

you know.. i think jeff has a couple copies of dichroic alchemy video about using boro dichroic too... it is on dvd but he made copies on vcr tape...

Old 2006-11-04, 2:44pm

contemporary lampworking by dunham is a must. any of the freeman corbin 'essential' series tapes are great. for small sculpture to get an idea of how to think of making one, which end to start what pieces to add next etc. crystal myths tapes are good, simple design though but i started with those. bill rasmussen does a bit more detail/realism in his horse etc. but they are both good. freemans are my favorite as of now. great instruction.
ro
Old 2006-11-04, 2:45pm

try technicalvideorental.com to rent rather than purchase if you want to try them. whitehousebooks.com is a great resource to order books too.
ro
Old 2006-11-09, 3:48pm
Covered in glitter

Jo if you are interested in Contemporary Lamprowking, I can bring it to the shapes class. Just let me know. I don't use it that much so there's no rush on getting it back to me.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2006-11-09, 8:11pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I own all 3 of Doug R's dvds. Boro Bead Magic (awesome), Flameworked pendants (outstanding) and Blown Beads (wonderful) PLUS I also just bought the little recipe book he puts out. I LOVE his recipes and his style and DVDs are very straightforward. I also have the boro Cookbook, and that's also an excellent source for beautiful bead recipes.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2006-11-09, 8:22pm
Skeptical Optimist

Yea, it's nice to see people that aren't trying to hide(hoard) information, glass is a wonderful thing to be shared and appreciated.

Old 2006-11-11, 10:40am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdCreations
Yea, it's nice to see people that aren't trying to hide(hoard) information, glass is a wonderful thing to be shared and appreciated.
Well..I'd tell you what my favorite colors are, but then I'd have to kill you.....

Old 2006-11-11, 11:30am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Does anyone know where I can get Doug's dvd's without a creditcard? I really want to have them but the only way I can pay is through paypal

( for my own security... me and a creditcards is NOT GOOD)

Old 2006-11-11, 10:50pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Doug sells them on ebay. Here ya go, sugarbunny:

http://stores.ebay.com/Remschneider-Glass

Old 2006-11-11, 11:07pm
Skeptical Optimist

Talking

Pretty please Karen??? Lemme guess, are some of them Momka's??

Old 2006-11-12, 6:36am

For those of you that have Dougs pendant video, can you tell me what techniques he teaches other than the basic frit/flower implosion? If I already know how to do that, is it worth it? Or do you know of any other book/video that teaches different shapes, colors, etc? Thanks!
Angie
Old 2006-11-12, 6:51am
Shine your bright side!

Lori Robbins and Ron and Rocio BearerJr. have a nifty little Boro recipe book out:

www.lorirobbins.com

I even use some of the recipe ideas with soft glass.

Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2006-11-12, 12:37pm
Skeptical Optimist

I have Doug's pendant video, and it's pretty good, but the implosion is about as advanced as it gets. It does teach good control and technique, but the only shapes he does on that one are squishing the circular pendant into a diamond shape using mashers, and pulling it into a drop using gradient heat control. The last shape he does is the squiggle/ something like that, where it's a big round pendant cut in half with shears almost all the way, melted, then manipulated inward, not the best selling shape, but its a start. I'm going to rent one of Freeman Corbin's dvds from smartflix.com (formerly Technical video rental), so I can tell you how that goes later in the month... Anyway, Doug's is a good video but it's not exactly worth the 50(?) it costs if you already know how to make implosions. Good luck!

Old 2006-11-12, 12:50pm

Thanks for the info! I was afraid Doug's vid was what I kinda already know. Let me know how the other video is!
Angie
Old 2007-01-16, 5:19pm

Default video rentals

www.smartflix.com has a lot of glass working videos that you can rent for $10 a week, shipping prepaid and no sign up fee. I use them all the time.