LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2012-09-11, 1:46pm

Default Studio in Basement

My Studio is in the basement, currently I am using Oxy Con. I would love to have Oxy tanks, but can't get them into the basement. Has any one stored them out side and had the Oxy piped in. I am in NYS so winter may be an issue. I am looking for any help, and suggestions.

Thank you
Old 2012-09-11, 4:07pm
grama punky - class junky

I went to a class in chicago...so cold winters there to. the had a big tank outside of O2 and it was piped in. seemed to work great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-09-11, 4:14pm
Alaska Boro

Call your local welding supply shops and see what their suggestions are, as you will also be purchasing oxygen refills from one of these firms.

Generally, running low pressure oxygen is done with copper line. The idea is to have no oil present in the presence of oxygen.

See what the local building codes are for plumbing oxygen with the tank outside. There are specific requirements for propane and possibility oxygen.
Old 2012-09-12, 9:44am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Many people use oxy tanks outside and pipe the oxy inside. Pratt Arts Center has their oxy bank uotside and probably 50 feet from the user point. Weather is mild here though. Since the oxy tank does not hold liquid and no 'boiloff' is taking place and the tank pressures are high, the outside temperature effects will be small. My personal oxy tank bank of 4 cylinders is piped into the studio via a manifold and steel pipe with about 15 feet of that pipe under the concrete floor. Again, mild climate.
Old 2012-11-06, 6:24pm
ALWAYS SMILES

Up until a month ago I had tanked oxy outside and brought it in with the hose through a tiny hole drilled into a thick plexiglass window ( not sure if that is proper or not, may find out LOL) It was a total of about 8 or so feet from work surface-- but it was like that and worked beautifully for two Michigan winters full of ice and snow. No regulator or knob issues to speak of. I kept a bucket turned upside down over the top of the tank. I have pretty wide overhangs on my roof though. And I kept it chained to the side of the house. The propane is still out there (in a plastic protective box). I use an OxyCon now as delivery was a giant pain for me.