Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-03-13, 9:37am
Jacqueline Parkes

Default Top Reasons to Dip MOM

Every since I started dipping in the middle of my mandrels my bead making has become much more enjoyable and improved in many ways. I thought I would share and feel free to add any points you may have.

1. Ease of creating a well balanced bead. It is much easier to twirl your mandrel in an even fashion.

2. Less wear and tear on my wrists. I have way less pain in my wrists , close to nil now even if I have torched eight hours.

3. Save money on bead release! I use far less bead release these days. It appears a 16 oz bottle is going to last me forever ! ( well almost)

4. More ease when applying glass on both sides on the bead for decoration. Instead of struggling to twist, apply glass, rake or whatever else you love to do to your bead on the left side, just flip your mandrel . It is so easy to get both sides manipulated in an even fashion!

5. You are using a longer mandrel. I cut mine to 12" and it appears they last a lot longer . I bend far fewer mandrels now. I am not sure why that is though.

6. When you are working with a larger bead that tends to get heavy , you are supporting that bead with two hands so it is much easier to work for longer.

7. It takes me far less time to dip mandrels now. I pour the mandrel into a tiny plastic cup and twirl it in the middle. Tap on the table a couple of times and it is done. I get a thin, even coating and it appears I do it twice as fast now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-03-13, 10:08am
Live and Let Live

I'd love to be able to do this, but with a long, narrow kiln like the Chili Pepper I use, the bead would be stuck in the door opening instead of being inside the kiln.

Old 2010-03-13, 10:23am
Jacqueline Parkes

Can you lay them in horizontally then?

I have bought some kiln posts and put three in the back of my kiln so I can raise the mandrel up a bit which then avoids the bead ever touching the floor of the kiln.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
I'd love to be able to do this, but with a long, narrow kiln like the Chili Pepper I use, the bead would be stuck in the door opening instead of being inside the kiln.

Old 2010-03-13, 11:27am
Live and Let Live

I'd have to stick my hand in too far to do that, plus then the beads would all pile up on top of each other in the middle of the kiln, so I don't think it's doable with a Chili Pepper.

Old 2010-03-13, 12:04pm
Katherine

I do not understand how you get the bead release in the middle of the mandrel. I know you explained it but I just do not get it???

Old 2010-03-13, 12:06pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Someone explained this to me.

You take a small container, a dipping sauce container would work. You pour the bead release into the container into it until creates a pool of release on the top.

Actually never mind. I will just take pics for you.

Be back soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass obsessed View Post
I do not understand how you get the bead release in the middle of the mandrel. I know you explained it but I just do not get it???

Old 2010-03-13, 12:13pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Old 2010-03-13, 12:29pm
RAH!

ahh, nifty! I dip mine in a really long container of bead release, then redip the bit i want clean into a tub of water. Eventually you can reuse the second tub- let the bead release settle and pour the water off.

(Now with stock! And useful photography!)
Old 2010-03-13, 4:38pm
The Andrea Half

I took an old plastic lid, heated a mandrel, and melted parallel slots. Works beautifully. I always dip MOM now, and find it hard to go back.

Old 2010-03-13, 4:50pm

That is such a cool idea. By doing this you can twirl both ends then? Am I understanding this right?

Old 2010-03-13, 6:30pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatbeadchickie View Post
That is such a cool idea. By doing this you can twirl both ends then? Am I understanding this right?
Yes, and it makes it real easy to add dots and flip over to do the other side and keep them even!

I was having a little fun earlier today looking up my really old dot beads and MOM technique on another forum (Wetcanvas) , and I pulled up this picture. I was very much a newbie then (2003) and I found this to be great! Sometimes I have wondered why I don't do dots all these years later, but I have been thinking about trying to fully learn the "geometric" style and to get away from organics and abstracts for a while.

Old 2010-03-13, 6:33pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli! View Post
ahh, nifty! I dip mine in a really long container of bead release, then redip the bit i want clean into a tub of water. Eventually you can reuse the second tub- let the bead release settle and pour the water off.
I learned this way from Karen (DesertDreamer) a looong time ago, like 2003 I think.
Old 2010-03-13, 6:39pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Yupp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatbeadchickie View Post

Old 2010-03-13, 9:17pm

Hmmmm. Must try this.

Old 2010-03-13, 9:34pm
The Andrea Half

Yes, you can twirl both ends and keep the spin going more evenly. You can also flip the mandrel so you always plae dots with your dominant hand, and you can even rest the end of the mandrel in the heel of the hand while you place dots ... steadies the mandrel AND your hand. I really hate end-dipping now; I always feel off balance.

Old 2010-03-16, 6:32am

Have dipped MOM for about 4 years now. Obviously I love it. I put a small soup bowl upside down and pour the release into a line then dip the mandrel in it. I can easily put the remainder back into the jar. Great way to judge if my release is too thick or thin as well. I have shoulder and upper arm issues so this is the only way for me. I have a glasshive kiln and put the mandrels in sideways with a kiln support metal thing to hold them off the bottom. I use a pair of huge long nose needle pliers and a kevlar glove to protect my hand. I can fit about 60 beads that way.
Jen
Old 2010-03-16, 6:40am
working to pay for glass

I have to try this but wonder about the kiln and where the beads will sit I have a arrow springs kiln not sure what kind but it is for small fusing i can lift the top and set beads in i think but i guess there would be some heat lose . but i think it would be great to be able to work both sides of the bead equally !!
Old 2010-03-16, 8:08am
Looking for my waistline

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
LOL! Thanks for the giggle...and the pic.
Old 2010-03-16, 5:43pm
Katherine

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
Someone explained this to me.

You take a small container, a dipping sauce container would work. You pour the bead release into the container into it until creates a pool of release on the top.

Be back soon

The pictures are great. Thanks for sharing them.

Old 2010-03-16, 5:49pm
In search of her path....

thats way to complicated lol I just dip half the mandrel in a tall bottle that way if I happen to grab the one end after it had been in the flame I dont burn myself ...Its just faster and easier for me but I agree holding the mandrell with both hands gives you MUCH better control. Its been my prefered method for a long time.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2010-03-17, 11:05am
working to pay for glass

tried it last night works great long rods not 9 " are a must though as it got kinda warm !
Old 2010-03-19, 11:13am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixbabygirls View Post
tried it last night works great long rods not 9 " are a must though as it got kinda warm !
If you find that you are bending the 12" mandrels in the center from the heat, then you could try size 5/64" which is a little larger diameter but not as large as the 3/32". They are less likely to bend. You can get them here:

http://www.artemislampwork.com/supplies.htm
Old 2010-03-19, 12:26pm

Default Mom

I have found even an easier way and saves on bead release too. Get a silicone flat potholder or I used a Wilton silicon mat (cut into 4x4 squares). I pour a small amount of bead release on the mat. Roll my mandrel through it.
When done, take a spatula, fold the mat and drain the bead release back into the container.

Hermione
Old 2010-03-20, 2:33pm
The Andrea Half

I use 9" and sometimes less size rods while dipping MOM, and they work fine. I do not make long honkin' tube beads on 9" rods, though, but up to an inch or so is usually fine.