No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-09-23, 7:21pm
Cat Winx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
See...I knew there would be some very pretty proven silvered colors out there but I hadn't thought of the corals...WOW!!
Sage and avocado on the list with corals...

Okay..I am making a list and will try some of the Messy colors tomorrow. I am eager to try the dirty martini and stone ground silvered.
Thank-you for the answers
Lorraine

Thanks for starting a list, Lorraine.. I will keep a close eye on it as, newbie that I am, the more information I can soak up the better as it will give me a bit of a clue when I finally get torch time!.. hehe

~Rachel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-09-23, 7:37pm
Salt Box Beads

Your very welcome, and not only that Rachel but Silvered Stringers are great for stretching out rare odd lots and increasing your bead design repertoire by a lot.

I can't wait to get my new Cricket up and running this weekend, I want to test all of the colors on the list and post pics!!!!
Old 2010-09-26, 3:24pm
Mary Lockwood

I've given this tip before, but thought it might go nicely with this thread:

You can make enameled silvered ivory stringer. You take a rod of light or dark ivory, heat the end to glowing, roll in silver foil and burnish it on really well. Burn off the silver and form a gather at the end of your rod. Roll the gather in any color enamel (but I almost always use green), carefully melt it in and then pull your stringer.

I use this for vines in my florals, which is why I almost always use green, but it works with lots of other colors too.

Don't forget to wear a respirator in addition to your ventilation when working with powdered glasses, enamels and frits.

~~Mary

Here it is both left partially raised on the cap and melted smooth on the stem of this mushroom. It is very organic looking because the colors shift, the silver breaks through, etc along the length of the stringer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Moth; 2010-09-26 at 3:40pm.
Old 2010-09-30, 1:14pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
Erose, What is the Streaky Sapphire? Do you have a number for it? I want to add it to the main list.

Vetrofond 791970, it's an odd lot that is hard to find these days.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-09-30, 1:35pm
Cat Winx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

You can make enameled silvered ivory stringer. You take a rod of light or dark ivory, heat the end to glowing, roll in silver foil and burnish it on really well. Burn off the silver and form a gather at the end of your rod. Roll the gather in any color enamel (but I almost always use green), carefully melt it in and then pull your stringer.

I use this for vines in my florals, which is why I almost always use green, but it works with lots of other colors too.

Don't forget to wear a respirator in addition to your ventilation when working with powdered glasses, enamels and frits.

~~Mary

Here it is both left partially raised on the cap and melted smooth on the stem of this mushroom. It is very organic looking because the colors shift, the silver breaks through, etc along the length of the stringer.

Mary.. these are GORGEOUS!

~Rachel

Old 2010-09-30, 7:34pm
Just Me!

Lorraine,
I can't wait to see the list, this is going to help me out a lot.
Thank you so much for taking the time out of your life to do all this, you are much appreciated........Val

Old 2010-09-30, 9:59pm
Salt Box Beads

Thank-you so much for the encouraging words!

My first post in this thread has the list there and I will keep adding to it as more people post and I do more color tests. It is much easier just to go to the first post and check the list there I think.

I didn't get to my torch over the weekend, just too busy and my pooch was spayed on Tuesday so keeping a close eye on her but hopefully I can torch soon. I have a bunch of colors I want to try and then will post the results.
Old 2010-09-30, 10:07pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Thats so sweet of you to do. If I would find out any, good or bad matches, I will let you know!
Old 2010-10-01, 7:58am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by piakaven View Post
Thats so sweet of you to do. If I would find out any, good or bad matches, I will let you know!
Good! We need to know the bad ones too. It will save time and glass.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2010-10-01 at 9:14am.
Old 2010-10-01, 9:40am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

This weekend I will go through what ever I tried, and tell you what didnt work... it is also after the fact so easy to think... what was I thinking, ofcourse it doesnt work, but then you never know, some things just surprise you sometimes.
Old 2010-10-01, 9:47am
Cat Winx

Quote:
This weekend I will go through what ever I tried, and tell you what didnt work... it is also after the fact so easy to think... what was I thinking, ofcourse it doesnt work, but then you never know, some things just surprise you sometimes.

Especially when it comes to reactive glass! I say press on.. (and Thank You! )

~Rachel

Old 2010-10-01, 12:44pm
Elphaba Lives !!

Cool Fish Pink

I have been, and am currently working on making Silvered Stringers
for my Etsy Shop. I remembered this thread and was going to look
for it hoping to find which Silvered Stringers were the most popular.
I was thrilled to find it near the top of the Tutorials room since I suck at
using LE's search.

Anyway, MY favorite Silvered Stringer is not on the list and I thought
I might finally share it: Fish Pink !!

Here it is with Dark Ivory, Dark Fossil, and Dark Ivory again. As you can
see, it turns either a nice trans light brown or a really nice Slate Blue/Gray
(especially if encased) and makes both the Dark Ivory and the Fossil super
react. It makes Fossil turn darker with a touch of brown to it.

Well, that's my share for the day !!

Old 2010-10-01, 1:54pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Did you mean that you had pink fish as a base or as a stringer? That looks gorgeous! The second bead is just gorgeous!
Old 2010-10-01, 2:27pm
Elphaba Lives !!

Quote:
Did you mean that you had pink fish as a base or as a stringer? That looks gorgeous! The second bead is just gorgeous!
I used Dark Ivory as a base on the first and third beads ~ Dark Fossil as the base on the second bead. I made Silvered Stringer with the Fish Pink and then used it on each bead (parts of the beads encased, parts not).

Old 2010-10-01, 2:35pm
Salt Box Beads

Kathy! All I can say is WOWSERZ!!!! LOL

Thank-you. Thank-you!

I added it to the list and gave it *** three stars because that is a fantastic SS color and on the Dark Ivory it sings.

Peeps will need to read the whole thread to get the best tips for use with the listed colors. That way we can keep this thread going. Also don't forget to subscribe and get your e-mails for new posts. Makes it very easy to come back and check out any new info.
Old 2011-01-15, 8:38pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Oh Yay! Will give some colours a go today, if the wind's blowing in the right direction... don't want to gas myself

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2011-02-03, 4:48pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I've pulled a lot of Ivory, some pink, Pea Green, Coral, Lapis, and turquoise.
I love the Coral effects:

Left to right:
Pink on either Dark Copper Brown or Powder Pink (I forget which); Silvered Lapis and Pea Green on Dark Turquoise; and Ivory on burnt yellow Opalino.

I was going to chuck out the yellow Opalino because even on my HH, it just does that. But I've changed my mind - it kind of webs itself, so I'll play some more

SRA# P107
Old 2011-02-03, 4:51pm
Cat Winx

Oooooo SHINY!

~Rachel

Old 2011-02-03, 4:53pm
Cat Winx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

~~Mary

Mary, this is the coolest idea. Can't believe I didn't catch this until now.. thank you so much for sharing it!!!

~Rache

Old 2011-02-03, 4:55pm
Cat Winx

er.. just read through the rest of this page, Mary, and clearly it has been far too long since I've had time to visit. Completely forgot I'd already noticed (although it does bear saying twice )

~R

Last edited by ElementalsDesign; 2011-02-03 at 4:56pm. Reason: poor typing skills: of course ;}
Old 2011-02-03, 6:36pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by essiemessy View Post
I've pulled a lot of Ivory, some pink, Pea Green, Coral, Lapis, and turquoise.
I love the Coral effects:

Left to right:
Pink on either Dark Copper Brown or Powder Pink (I forget which); Silvered Lapis and Pea Green on Dark Turquoise; and Ivory on burnt yellow Opalino.

I was going to chuck out the yellow Opalino because even on my HH, it just does that. But I've changed my mind - it kind of webs itself, so I'll play some more
I think they are all cool! I love the pink one, Must try that one.
Old 2011-02-04, 12:50am
Happy Inner Dragon

Yeah, nice, eh? I'm a convert for sure

SRA# P107
Old 2011-02-16, 9:45pm
A Splash o' Glass

Glad to have found this thread. I've had little motivation lately so it will be fun to try some of these suggestions out and maybe get me inspired again. Thanks everyone!

Old 2011-02-16, 10:46pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

darn, I totally forgot that I promised to try some colors... I never did though, life got complicated with work, it is better now, but doesnt leave too much time for torching though! But it is waaaay better than it used to be. But I will be sure to let yall know if I come accross a cool silvered stringer.
Old 2011-03-06, 11:00am
Salt Box Beads

Hey everyone, Anyone have any new Silvered Stringers? I haven't been able to torch, too cold and windy and rainy here. Spring has just got to be right around the corner!

Please check out Katies Etsy. She has all kinds of neat stuff. Including Silvered stringers or smallish rods?

Mary thank-you for the pics and the new idea. I have a ton of enamels given to me that need to be used.
Old 2011-07-21, 5:54pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I have a bunch of Lauscha Vanilla Ice. Has anyone ever tried it silvered?

Vivian

-

Old 2011-07-26, 7:55am

Vanilla Ice is "White With Silver". There is already a bunch of silver in it and it is an awesome base for the heavy silver colors.
I'd like to see it as a silvered stringer though..Never did that!!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2011-07-26, 10:54am
Salt Box Beads

Thanks for that tip Paula! This thread is driving me nuts!! I want so badly to be torching and trying all of these out, but it looks like I won't have my studio shed up until sometime in August.

But when it does go up I will sure be trying all of these out.
Old 2011-07-28, 1:42pm

Silvered Coral on a Hades base with an amazing result.

Elke
Old 2011-07-28, 2:18pm
Loving learning

Beautiful! I guess I need to add Hades to my glass list.