Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2009-03-09, 3:55am
one day at a time

Default Wow, does anyone have one (or more) of these oxygen generators? (besides me???)

WOW the prices sure have gone up, so I'm really glad I got mine when I did! That was almost 6 years ago, when one of the only known generators for lampworkers was the OG-15. I chose this one because it has an internal dryer for the filter beds I was told, and I needed that for this soggy climate. I'll never forget when another lampworker had to have the filter beds replaced on her OG-15, and how awfully expensive that was. I guess it got pretty humid in PA! But not like it is here I'm sure.

I have the Airsep AS-12A (the high pressure model) and paid $2600 for it. Oh nooo I'm not complaining, as it has worked for me 4-8 hours a day 4-7 days a week for about 5 years running. In this very humid area, and not one problem with it yet.

http://www.lacywest.com/airsep.htm

These machines are very costly so that may turn off a lot of glass people, but I am wondering, who else out there has one, or is thinking of buying one??

Last edited by Lisi; 2009-03-09 at 4:02am.
Old 2009-03-09, 4:05am
one day at a time

Something I was just thinking - these machines have gone way up in price in the last 5 years, but the prices on torches are pretty much the same as they were back then. Strange, huh??
Old 2009-03-10, 11:02pm
one day at a time

Mmm hmm...just like I thought! Appear that no one else has one, so I'm the lone wolf... Aaahhhwoooooo anyone out there to keep me company?? LOL

It makes it really difficult to compare my machine with what else is out there and what torch works best! I'm not anywhere near financially ready to purchase a Cheetah but when I do, I'll have to try it out, and if it works fine, that's great, but if not, then I will have to sell it in the Garage and get a Lynx.

I know my generator is a powerful machine, but how powerful, I don't know. The specs sheets are written in Greek, so I don't know how many LPMs, and the only thing I know is the pressure is 15-18psi. I run it at 13 for the Bobcat, and even that's overkill. The SCF whatever is gobbledygook to me, and I know that LPM and purity really makes the difference in flame capabilities, not just the available pressure.

I've been really confused ever since a couple of years ago I contacted the guy I bought it from (BTES), and he told me I would need another unit to use in tandem with mine to run the Lynx. That has got to be BULL, and he just wants to make the sale. I'm not that stupid! Way back when, the OG-15 was said to be the "perfect marriage" with the Lynx, and my machine is supposed to have a lot more 'oomph' than the OG-15!

But I have been told in a PM by a long time boro worker that my machine is worlds above the rest out there. Nice to know that, but most people don't have the $$$ to buy one. Thankfully, oxygen generators are much more affordable these days and oxy concentrators have been found to work very well when hooked up as two or three units to power up a mid-size torch to work boro effectively.

Last edited by Lisi; 2009-03-10 at 11:07pm.
Old 2009-03-11, 12:01am

The OG-15 is not the perfect marriage for a Lynx...I gave up on mine and sold the Lynx and bought a cricket instead....Of course it could be my machine that's crap too.

I would love an Airsep and I paid $3,200 for the OG-15 so 2,600 doesn't seem too bad.

Kym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
Mmm hmm...just like I thought! Appear that no one else has one, so I'm the lone wolf... Aaahhhwoooooo anyone out there to keep me company?? LOL

It makes it really difficult to compare my machine with what else is out there and what torch works best! I'm not anywhere near financially ready to purchase a Cheetah but when I do, I'll have to try it out, and if it works fine, that's great, but if not, then I will have to sell it in the Garage and get a Lynx.

I know my generator is a powerful machine, but how powerful, I don't know. The specs sheets are written in Greek, so I don't know how many LPMs, and the only thing I know is the pressure is 15-18psi. I run it at 13 for the Bobcat, and even that's overkill. The SCF whatever is gobbledygook to me, and I know that LPM and purity really makes the difference in flame capabilities, not just the available pressure.

I've been really confused ever since a couple of years ago I contacted the guy I bought it from (BTES), and he told me I would need another unit to use in tandem with mine to run the Lynx. That has got to be BULL, and he just wants to make the sale. I'm not that stupid! Way back when, the OG-15 was said to be the "perfect marriage" with the Lynx, and my machine is supposed to have a lot more 'oomph' than the OG-15!

But I have been told in a PM by a long time boro worker that my machine is worlds above the rest out there. Nice to know that, but most people don't have the $$$ to buy one. Thankfully, oxygen generators are much more affordable these days and oxy concentrators have been found to work very well when hooked up as two or three units to power up a mid-size torch to work boro effectively.
Old 2009-03-11, 12:05am
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

I just noticed that the prices on that site are Canadian dollars. Still pricey though!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-03-11, 12:06am
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

Lisi, you have the high pressure one, right?

Old 2009-03-11, 12:42am
Fire and Fluidity

I have 3 (three!) AS-12As that I got used from Heidi von Frozenfyre last year. They are manifolded together into a large holding tank at about 18-20 psi and run Zora's Baracuda and my Phantom at the same time. We don't "rage" both torches at the same time, but she can be doing a marble full blast while I'm doing a pendant (using a foot pedal) and this system keeps up. When I'm working by myself, I turn one of them off.

-Don-

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

Old 2009-03-13, 5:46pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshouse View Post
Lisi, you have the high pressure one, right?
Yep, that's the one. Oh, silly me, I didn't realize those were Canadian dollars!! Well, maybe almost six years ago when I paid $2600 I got ripped off some.
Old 2009-03-14, 9:48am
Senior Moment

This is an interesting thread, Thanks Lisi. I am so curious about generators...I use one 5 l oxy con and keep looking at the next step...Another 1,2 or 3 oxy cons or bite the bullet and get a generator....Are they loud? I have never even seen one at work.
I know people who kept needing more and more, one gal I know had 4 oxycons all tied together...Would sure be sweet to have enough O2
Cheers,
Patricia

Nortel Mega Minor w/ EX 15 Oxy Con

Old 2009-03-14, 10:01am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellavistaglass View Post
This is an interesting thread, Thanks Lisi. I am so curious about generators...I use one 5 l oxy con and keep looking at the next step...Another 1,2 or 3 oxy cons or bite the bullet and get a generator....Are they loud? I have never even seen one at work.
I know people who kept needing more and more, one gal I know had 4 oxycons all tied together...Would sure be sweet to have enough O2
Cheers,
Patricia
Well, I'm near totally deaf, so if they are loud, I really don't know! I don't wear my hearing aids when I torch, but I have and it's not that bad....I guess! LOL

In fact, I enjoy the cycling "hum" and "whoosh" because I work long hours and it's relaxing.

I can say that my machine has the about the same "loudness" as a regular 5lpm concentrator. Maybe a little louder.

Last edited by Lisi; 2009-03-14 at 10:05am.
Old 2009-03-14, 10:12am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kym View Post
The OG-15 is not the perfect marriage for a Lynx...I gave up on mine and sold the Lynx and bought a cricket instead....Of course it could be my machine that's crap too.
I wonder, because Val Cox had one about 5-6 years ago or so, and she said it was great for her Lynx. But when she switched to the Cheetah she had to go to tanks, if I remember correctly. She was pulling reduction glass stringers from those billy club sized rods and crushing her own frit when she was new in the frit biz. Yeah, I remember the beginnings! It was SO cool! She needed a bigger torch to melt pieces of those rods!

Val, if you happen to read this, did I get that history right??

I can't remember where and who I heard the phrase, "the OG-15 and the Lynx are the perfect marriage", it's been that long ago.

Last edited by Lisi; 2009-03-14 at 10:17am.
Old 2009-03-14, 10:15am
Senior Moment

"I can say that my machine has the about the same "loudness" as a regular 5lpm concentrator. Maybe a little louder"

Hi again,
Wow, So then it would most probably be quieter than 3 or 4 oxy-cons? That would be cool....
Patricia

Nortel Mega Minor w/ EX 15 Oxy Con

Old 2009-06-30, 5:27am

You said you dint know the specs on the og15 The specs on the og 15 are 15 cubic feet per hour. All of there machines have the amount of cubic feet in the model name.

It can be a lil confusing tho as all brands have different naming voodo.
Like on-site happens to drop the last digit in all there model names. Like for instance a on-site pro4 makes 40 cubic feet per hour. So it would be the equivalent of an ogs 40
or an on-site pro8 would be the same as an ogs 80 an ogs 15 would Be a on-site pro 1.5 (don't think they have one that size tho)