No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-05-09, 9:57am
Disconnected

Default A BHB question

I have read a lot of those BHB threads but can't find the exact measurements for each brand of bracelets, even on their websites.

I am new to this (the BHB thing) and I recently completed an order for 3 of those, where my customer said the hole had to be 5mm to fit both her Chamilia and Troll bracelets.
I had read somewhere here that the 5/32" mandrels were kind of "universal" size for all bracelets (I'm talking about non cored beads), but they are smaller than 5 mm, so I bought 3/16" and completed my order with them.

And by the way, I have a newly gained huge respect for you ladies who crank out those suckers all day. It took me about 2 bowls of water-annealed beads to get it right with the 3/16" mandrel that feels like a baseball bat. Bitch.

So, my question is, with un-cored BHBs, what are the 5/32" mandrels good for? Good for Troll but not Pandora/Chamilia? Good for all?

Do you guys all own one bracelet of each brand and digital calipers? I browsed a lot of your Etsy stores, too, in order to get an idea for measurements, but most of you core your beads. I'm not sure I want to be doing this yet. And then there's the double dipping thing that comes in to confuse me more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-05-09, 10:53am

3/16 uncored will fit all the bracelet systems that I have come across so far! 5/32 is good for Troll only....If you want to core beads - then use 3/16 mandrels with Ginko's tubing - as it will still fit all the systems.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ginkodesigns?ref=seller_info

Hope this helps!
Shauna
Old 2011-05-09, 11:38am
Disconnected

Thank you Shauna, it does help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-05-09, 11:51am
sunscreen me baby

I do have a Pandora and a Biagi bracelet to test beads on.

The uncored 5/32 are not going to work with Pandora. I found out the hard way and sent 100 or so beads to BOC You can double dip those to make them work.

I suggest you use the 3/16th exclusively. The beads will work with all bracelets and if you decide to core later on, you can pull your non-cored beads and core them.

~

Old 2011-05-09, 12:24pm
Disconnected

Thank you Suzy. I wonder why I ever bought those 5/32" mandrels, my brain must have been foggy that day. Using only the 3/16" will certainly save some headaches once I get used to them, plus as Shauna says, if I decide to core them I can go straight to Ginko and know it's going to work.

Old 2011-05-09, 12:25pm
Disconnected

So, what do you guys do with the 5/32"? Do you still use them and list beads as "Fits only Troll system"?

Old 2011-05-09, 12:32pm
sunscreen me baby

No. I ended up with them because when we all started to do this that is what was suggested somewhere. Mine are gathering dust someplace I can't locate easily so I don't use them, lol.

~

Old 2011-05-09, 2:08pm
Disconnected

Oh funny. Maybe I'll keep them and make solo beads for people who don't know what charm bracelets are (i.e. my mom), so they can't come back and yell at me because they don't fit.

Old 2011-05-09, 2:31pm
Oinky Oink!

I bought a silver bracelet(looks like snake chain) with the end that unscrews to put the beads in from a local bead store. They told me that it was the same size as Pandora and they even sell those beads there.

I used 5/32 mandrels and made beads un-cored and they fit perfectly.

Christy
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. ~Oscar Wilde
Old 2011-05-09, 3:34pm
Disconnected

Christy, is your bracelet a specific brand?

Old 2011-05-09, 3:40pm
sunscreen me baby

Christy, 5/32 will not fit Pandora. Really. I'm not making this up. I know it for a fact. I have a Pandora bracelet and have made 5/32 beads. They do not fit on Pandora bracelets even uncored. Pandora beads will fit most bracelets because they have the biggest holes.

5/32 will fit on my bracelets, troll and some of the others out there that are not name brands. If you are making beads to sell it just makes sense to make the hole big enough to fit Pandora and not worry about people buying them and then not having them fit their bracelet.

~

Old 2011-05-09, 3:47pm
Oinky Oink!

I am not sure. It's not stamped with any name.
I just asked the store if they had bracelets that would fit pandora and they gave me the ones I got.

I asked a while back in LE what size mandrel I should get if I wanted to make Panora type beads un-cored and 5/32 was suggested. So, I made a whole bunch and it really is a perfect fit for the bracelet I have.

Christy
Old 2011-05-09, 3:50pm
Glass-aholic

yes 5/32 will work if you double dip your bead release.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-05-09, 3:52pm
Oinky Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post

5/32 will fit on my bracelets, troll and some of the others out there that are not name brands. If you are making beads to sell it just makes sense to make the hole big enough to fit Pandora and not worry about people buying them and then not having them fit their bracelet.
Yes, I agree.. Better to be bigger than smaller if you are selling.

I don't sell anything I make. It's all just for me to enjoy.

I just took a suggestion made to me in LE and it luckily worked out for me.

Christy
Old 2011-05-09, 4:12pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flonche View Post
I have read a lot of those BHB threads but can't find the exact measurements for each brand of bracelets, even on their websites.

I am new to this (the BHB thing) and I recently completed an order for 3 of those, where my customer said the hole had to be 5mm to fit both her Chamilia and Troll bracelets.
I had read somewhere here that the 5/32" mandrels were kind of "universal" size for all bracelets (I'm talking about non cored beads), but they are smaller than 5 mm, so I bought 3/16" and completed my order with them.

And by the way, I have a newly gained huge respect for you ladies who crank out those suckers all day. It took me about 2 bowls of water-annealed beads to get it right with the 3/16" mandrel that feels like a baseball bat. Bitch.

So, my question is, with un-cored BHBs, what are the 5/32" mandrels good for? Good for Troll but not Pandora/Chamilia? Good for all?

Do you guys all own one bracelet of each brand and digital calipers? I browsed a lot of your Etsy stores, too, in order to get an idea for measurements, but most of you core your beads. I'm not sure I want to be doing this yet. And then there's the double dipping thing that comes in to confuse me more.
That statement made me LOL because that is exactly what it feels like to me too. I can't imagine making these exclusively, they make my arm ache! I've just been playing with making these lately but it IS a bitch, no lie.

Old 2011-05-09, 4:15pm
sunscreen me baby

lol! They do get easier with practice.

~

Old 2011-06-06, 2:43pm
Loving learning

So I bought some 1/8th" rod at the welding place, I realize they won't fit the bracelets you're all talking about, but would they be good practice for me making larger holed beads? I figured maybe BOC would be OK with them anyway.
Old 2011-06-07, 6:05am

Where do you all buy the 3/16 mandrels? The best place, I guess is what I am asking. Cindy

Old 2011-09-28, 9:56am
all for the love of glass

A plug for Graceful Customs to answer the question above.

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2011-09-29, 12:13pm

3/16, got it. Thanks Shauna & Suzy. Good to know since I am just now experimenting with making BHBs. This will save me a lot of time and effort.

You can always use your 5/32 as punties for pulling cane.