Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-03-16, 3:54pm

Default A Bit of Advice

Hello, All!

I am a bit of a lurker here, haven't posted more than once or twice, months ago. I appreciate everything that has been shared here, as it is very helpful to the relatively new flameworder (couple of years). Thanks for all the information. Some of the names and faces I know as I have met you at the past couple of Gatherings.

I am setting up a mobile studio in my 5th wheel travel trailer (henceforth to be known as the "BlingMobile", for my bead name, "FireBling." I'm asking for opinions/recommendations on an annealer. At my home studio, I use a Skutt GMF-10 and I love it. But it is fairly large, heavy and draws quite a bit of power. I don't need to fuse on the road - I just plan to make beads. Yes, I know, the cheap solution would be a fiber blanket and batch anneal at home, but I want the ability to stay out for a few months at a time (NEXT YEAR, I am not doing this Colorado winter! At least not December, January and perhaps February.)

I am considering the Chili Pepper because it has a low amp draw ( and a small footprint. Any other options for me?

Any general ideas/suggestions? Does anyone have any experience setting up a mobile studio?

SuZie Cox
www.FireBling.com
Old 2007-03-16, 3:59pm
Shine your bright side!

Hi Suzie!

Bluebird kilns get rave reviews.

I have a small 8" x 8" (interior) Aim kiln that I love.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2007-03-16, 5:04pm
Missing presumed fed

If you want a low power draw, you should look at the toolbox-type kiln that Don McKinney makes. It draws 5.7 amps, which is half of what most small kilns draw. I have a couple of friends with Don's kilns, and they rave about them, and about his customer service. Here's his website:

http://www.glasspalette.com/Equipment.html

Somebody told me that when the ISGB decided to buy some kilns for workshops/demos, they bought Don's.
Old 2007-03-16, 8:31pm

Bonnie & Emily, Thanks for the recommendations. I will look into those kilns.

SuZie
Old 2007-03-17, 12:04am

I LOVE my bluebird!! you can get one at www.kilndr.com for 493$. 20" bead doors and doesnt use a ton of power.