No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2008-06-28, 1:55pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Default Graphic aftermath of Oxy Tank Explosion

Now this is not due to being used. This person did a really stupid thing, and has paid a heavy price. This is however a possible outcome of any exploding oxygen tank.

Remember to use flashback arrestors, and secure tanks to a immobile surface. Do not attempt to repair an oxy tank valve.

Not for the squeamish, or easily scared...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lw_fhNAIQc&NR=1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2008-06-28, 7:13pm
Crispy Critter

I'm going to go give my oxycon a big kiss now....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-06-28, 8:28pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

damn - me too

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-06-10, 1:06am
Dakine glass man

I LOVE TANKED OXY....anybody got a concentrator for cheap

Lampwork by John Lindquist
Old 2010-06-10, 5:17am
N2Beadz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdd View Post
I'm going to go give my oxycon a big kiss now....
As are many of us.

When it showed the watch backing that WAS on this mans arm that was enough for me.

Last edited by donia; 2010-06-10 at 5:20am.
Old 2010-06-10, 5:43am
In search of her path....

and that was a SMALL cylinder a medical sized one holy crap he must have been grinding and welding on it i bet but stilldam! and the parts embedded in the wall and gah the bloodsplatter shivers.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2010-06-10, 6:12am
Gentleman of Leisure

I think the most traumatic part is person lost arm between elbow and wrist.....

And here is one that puts MythBuster's oxy tank experiment to shame.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyINN...eature=related

Also consider these are only small tanks measuring 24-30 inches tall and hold about 72 cuft of compressed air at about 2200psi.... Remember its the reaction to valve braking here, not that it is oxygen or compressed air in cylinder...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-06-10, 6:23am

Wow!!! He could have been decapitated just as easily as having lost his arm. He's lucky he survived.

This sends shivers down my spine. I'm one of those rare people who had a flashback on a surface mix torch (my trusty Minor). I think I caused it by doing something any of us could easily do - I wasn't paying attention and let my propane run out as I was torching. Fortunately, I had a flashback arrestor on both my oxygen tank and propane tank. I've posted about this before because there's a misconception that surface mix torches can't flashback - they can, as I accidentally proved to myself. I finally found the blown flashback arrestor - it was on the oxygen side. I was working off a K-cylinder, much larger than the one in the video. While I don't know that it would have become a bomb like happened on the video, I'm VERY glad I didn't test that possibility!

Linda
Old 2010-06-10, 6:44am
Growing Edge Glass

Okay...I didn't click on the link....'cuz I've had enough trauma for the week.....someone sent me an email showing a crash as a result of driving while texting(I don't)......graphic pics showed a man cut in half, in his car and then piled up..on top of himself in the road. I actually felt faint looking at the pics.....so don't want to see anything else for a while!!

Apparently someone was injured horribly....in the link above....

However.....without looking at the link...it has helped me decide definately that I'll only be using an oxycon..... I do have an oxycon that I've yet to use with my cricket (okay..haven't used that either..yet)...but am about to set it up, probably this weekend.(Kimberly, if you're reading this...I've been good and have run my oxycon weekly!)

I'm not trying to hijack this thread...but I think this is a great place to pose this question.....as the content pertains to safe use of oxy, fuel and torchwork in general.

I'll be using a bbq propane tank, an oxycon and my cricket torch. I have flashback arrestors and quick disconnects.

I'm not sure where to put them on my hose line? Doesn't it make sense to have the quick disconnect close to me...like right off of my torch?...vs 25 feet away by my fuel?

I won't use my oxy regulator with an oxycon...even though I bought one to use with tanks. I also have a new fuel regulator.So... should I use a flashback/quick disconnect on my oxy line? I like to err on the side of caution..most days!

Can someone give me a basic description of where to put my flashbacks, quick disconnects so that I have quick access to them? do I put the quick disconnects and flashbacks together, in line or separated on the hose? Hope that makes sense?

Any input would be appreciated! I just want to be safe...

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2010-06-10, 7:13am
honorary bead lady

I saw the video Pam posted the other day, I just don't understand why someone would try to remove a valve from a pressureized tank????? I would really like to know the back story on that one.
Old 2010-06-10, 8:10am
Growing Edge Glass

wow...I didn't pay attention to the op's post date....back in 2008!

Thought this was a new thread..just started!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2010-06-10, 8:46am
Micromosaic and Lampwork

I was a bit scared to click on the link. My heart racing. So, basically if we respect our tanks, and don't work on them at home, and don't abuse them, we should be just fine.

I have two oxy cons, but still prefer the tanked oxy. I like to work hotter than what two oxy cons can do for me. I also teach and need to run up to 5 torches at a time. So, there isn't an easy to not use tanked.

I'll tell ya, I'm certainly going to tie down my tanks a lot better in the car now.

Old 2010-06-11, 9:40am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truewealth View Post

I'll be using a bbq propane tank, an oxycon and my cricket torch. I have flashback arrestors and quick disconnects.

I'm not sure where to put them on my hose line? Doesn't it make sense to have the quick disconnect close to me...like right off of my torch?...vs 25 feet away by my fuel?

I won't use my oxy regulator with an oxycon...even though I bought one to use with tanks. I also have a new fuel regulator.So... should I use a flashback/quick disconnect on my oxy line? I like to err on the side of caution..most days!

Can someone give me a basic description of where to put my flashbacks, quick disconnects so that I have quick access to them? do I put the quick disconnects and flashbacks together, in line or separated on the hose? Hope that makes sense?

Best place to put flashback arrestors is as close to the torch as possible (you'll most likely end up with a short section of hose between the torch and FBAs, depending on what kind of fittings you have on each). The logic for having the FBAs close to the torch is that it helps suppress any flashback as close to the point of origin as possible (helps keep the 'event' from growing in the hose) and protects the hose. There are combo FBA/quick connects, which are handy. I happened to have bought mine separately, but have them in series (no hose inbetween). I was able to do that because the fittings were such that they screwed together directly. I like having the quick connects close to the torch, with the FBAs. More convenient if I want to switch torches at that station.

You don't need a regulator with your oxycon. Since oxycons don't store 02 and don't generate the gas pressure needed to store 02 in cylinders, most folks don't consider FBAs necessary for safety. Some folks, like me, choose to have them in place more to protect the oxycon from damage in case of a flashback. Doing so sacrifices some of the oxycon's output pressure/flow, however. Whether you have a quick connect depends on whether you think you will be doing things like swapping torches or oxycons.

Hope that helps
Linda
Old 2010-06-11, 9:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torched Art View Post
I was a bit scared to click on the link. My heart racing. So, basically if we respect our tanks, and don't work on them at home, and don't abuse them, we should be just fine.

I have two oxy cons, but still prefer the tanked oxy. I like to work hotter than what two oxy cons can do for me. I also teach and need to run up to 5 torches at a time. So, there isn't an easy to not use tanked.

I'll tell ya, I'm certainly going to tie down my tanks a lot better in the car now.

What the guy in the first video did is profoundly foolish.... I agree, if we don't mess with our tanks, and handle them carefully, we're fine. I prefer tanked 02 for my Phantom, although I use an oxycon for my minor. I always keep it chained to the wall with two chains and never move it without the cap in place. Hate to think what the video Dale posted would've looked like if they'd tested K-cylinders.

Linda
Old 2010-06-11, 1:19pm
Growing Edge Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMLinda View Post
Best place to put flashback arrestors is as close to the torch as possible (you'll most likely end up with a short section of hose between the torch and FBAs, depending on what kind of fittings you have on each). The logic for having the FBAs close to the torch is that it helps suppress any flashback as close to the point of origin as possible (helps keep the 'event' from growing in the hose) and protects the hose. There are combo FBA/quick connects, which are handy. I happened to have bought mine separately, but have them in series (no hose inbetween). I was able to do that because the fittings were such that they screwed together directly. I like having the quick connects close to the torch, with the FBAs. More convenient if I want to switch torches at that station.

You don't need a regulator with your oxycon. Since oxycons don't store 02 and don't generate the gas pressure needed to store 02 in cylinders, most folks don't consider FBAs necessary for safety. Some folks, like me, choose to have them in place more to protect the oxycon from damage in case of a flashback. Doing so sacrifices some of the oxycon's output pressure/flow, however. Whether you have a quick connect depends on whether you think you will be doing things like swapping torches or oxycons.

Hope that helps
Linda
Wow Linda....perfect...and exactly the info I needed! Thank you!!

I do want to use a flashback with my oxycon for safety and did know that I don't use a regulator with an oxycon. Not sure if I'll use my quick connect on my oxy line or not...but I like your setup and will do mine the same!

Thanks again for answering my questions!!

I really appreciate it!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2010-06-12, 9:56am
Pyro Tyro

Quote:
Okay...I didn't click on the link....'cuz I've had enough trauma for the week.....someone sent me an email showing a crash as a result of driving while texting(I don't)......graphic pics showed a man cut in half, in his car and then piled up..on top of himself in the road. I actually felt faint looking at the pics.....so don't want to see anything else for a while!!

Apparently someone was injured horribly....in the link above....

However.....without looking at the link...it has helped me decide definately that I'll only be using an oxycon..... I do have an oxycon that I've yet to use with my cricket (okay..haven't used that either..yet)...but am about to set it up, probably this weekend.(Kimberly, if you're reading this...I've been good and have run my oxycon weekly!)

I'm not trying to hijack this thread...but I think this is a great place to pose this question.....as the content pertains to safe use of oxy, fuel and torchwork in general.

Quote:

Hope that helps
Linda
Thanks for asking the question Mikelene and for your thoughtful answer Linda! I was doing a search to find out this exact info. I'm about to connect my never used Cricket to my never used for torching oxycon and a propane tank and really am unsure where everything goes.

Would anyone be willing to posts pics of their flashback arrestors/hoses/ quick release combos?

Thanks. Jill

Old 2010-06-12, 11:19am
Growing Edge Glass

Glad my questions and Linda's answers were helpful Jill!

I pulled out my flashbacks and my quick connects and now I see that, in very small print, they checked a box next to "regulator style" on my flashbacks. There is another box, unchecked, that says "torch style". These are Western brand.

So......is there actually a difference between the two styles? I want my flash/quickconnects at the torch end of my hose as stated by Linda above...according to the packaging...I bought flashbacks that are "regulator style" and quick connects that are "regulator to hose" style. Does this mean that I need different FB's/QC's as I want them on my torch end (and attached to a shorter hose off of my torch...I guess they are called stud lines?...my cricket has barbs).....

Thanks for any input!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2010-06-12, 11:25am
Pyro Tyro

Somewhere on this thread or another when I searched, I saw that you would have to buy some extra conversion pieces to attach a tank FBA to the torch.

Good luck!

- Jill

Old 2010-06-12, 1:12pm

Quote:
Glad my questions and Linda's answers were helpful Jill!

I pulled out my flashbacks and my quick connects and now I see that, in very small print, they checked a box next to "regulator style" on my flashbacks. There is another box, unchecked, that says "torch style". These are Western brand.

So......is there actually a difference between the two styles? I want my flash/quickconnects at the torch end of my hose as stated by Linda above...according to the packaging...I bought flashbacks that are "regulator style" and quick connects that are "regulator to hose" style. Does this mean that I need different FB's/QC's as I want them on my torch end (and attached to a shorter hose off of my torch...I guess they are called stud lines?...my cricket has barbs).....

Thanks for any input!
Like you, I bought my FBAs and quick-connects before I realized I had a choice. The difference between regulator and torch styles are the fittings on the end. With a fair amount of aggravation, I finally figured out how to get the goes-inta's and the goes-outta's to all work. It took a cascade of fittings, but that was cheaper than getting new FBAs or quick-connects.

Since your Cricket has hose barbs, you have a couple of choices, depending on what you have on hand. If you have a left-over piece each of your oxy and propane T-grade hoses that have B fittings on the end, you can cut it short, say 8" long, slide the cut end on the Cricket's hose barb and then screw the other end onto the FBA, assuming that you have the right gender on the FBA side. If you don't, it's easier to get a hose-barb B fitting combo (barb and nut). and connect the FBA to the Cricket with a short length of your T-Grade hose (again, say 6"-8" long). Hopefully, the FBA and quick-connects you bought will have the right genders to let you simply screw them together. If not, you may have to put hose barb adapters on both the FBA and quick connect and join them with a short length of hose or find B fitting gender adapters. Whichever way you choose to do this, a welding store will be the place to find most/all of the connectors you need.

Hope that makes sense.

Linda
Old 2010-06-12, 2:35pm
Growing Edge Glass

Linda...I love ya woman!!! Thank you so much for another great, clear response to my questions! I've printed your response and have all my equipment out to look over.

My thinking of how to put it together was along the lines of how you've described it...so I'm feeling on the right track...

I already feel safer and more knowledgable with the info that you've shared...so thank you!!!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2010-06-12, 5:31pm
Certified Thread Killer

Red face

Quote:
Wow!!! He could have been decapitated just as easily as having lost his arm. He's lucky he survived.

This sends shivers down my spine. I'm one of those rare people who had a flashback on a surface mix torch (my trusty Minor). I think I caused it by doing something any of us could easily do - I wasn't paying attention and let my propane run out as I was torching. Fortunately, I had a flashback arrestor on both my oxygen tank and propane tank. I've posted about this before because there's a misconception that surface mix torches can't flashback - they can, as I accidentally proved to myself. I finally found the blown flashback arrestor - it was on the oxygen side. I was working off a K-cylinder, much larger than the one in the video. While I don't know that it would have become a bomb like happened on the video, I'm VERY glad I didn't test that possibility!

Linda
Say what???
Why would there be flashback if the propane runs out during torching? The oxy gets sucked into the propane ports? I thought there was no way to get flashback with modern hoses/torches/connectors.
Now I'm scared of running out of propane.
Old 2010-06-13, 4:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleCatJewels View Post
Say what???
Why would there be flashback if the propane runs out during torching? The oxy gets sucked into the propane ports? I thought there was no way to get flashback with modern hoses/torches/connectors.
Now I'm scared of running out of propane.
I find that not being able to have a flashback, at least on surface mix torches, is a common misconception, one that frustrates me personally. It's a phenomenon that has nothing to do with modern hoses or connectors but how the torch works and what can happen under low gas pressure situations or unusual gas/oxy differential pressure situations. Modern flashback arrestors placed at the appropriate point in the hose (as close to the torch as possible is best), however, work marvelously for suppressing them if they form.

I think it was Meker who once posted how a flashback can happen in a surface mix torch. At the time we were posting back and forth on the topic, I couldn't remember if my 'event' had happened on the propane or the oxy side. I finally found my spent FBA - turns out it was the oxygen one that blew. Meker posted about how the lack of pressure on the propane side can potentially pull the flame backward into the torch and up the oxygen side and create a flashback. If I remember his post, it doesn't pull the oxy up the propane line; oxygen acts as an accelerant for a flame, so the flashback simply follows the oxygen. Best analogy I can make is that, if you don't have your oxy knob turned off fully when you go to light your torch, or you have a little residual oxy in the ports, the torch will make a popping sound. I believe that's really a mini 'flashback' in the torch jets itself. It doesn't travel backward, however, because it isn't large enough at that point to overcome the force of the propane and oxygen coming out or the normal internal differential pressures between propane and oxygen inside the torch when these are set at normal working pressures.

Flashbacks are common on pre-mix torches, by the way, and those working boro often use this type of torch and seem to be well aware of this. They are very uncommon on surface mix torches, however, which is what most of us use for soft glass. Uncommon but not impossible, as I discovered.

It's easy to forget and let the propane tank run out. Dale M and others have advocated measuring the tank weight periodically, which I think is a very good idea! If you also have flashback arrestors in place - propane, always, and on tanked oxygen, always - you're protected. Debatable if you need an FBA on an oxycon. Probably not necessary for personal safety, but I use them on mine more to protect my investment.

Linda
Old 2010-06-13, 8:32am
Certified Thread Killer

Red face

Linda, thanks. I'm just a little embarrassed that I even had to ask.

After some thought, I realized that it also boiled right down to POOP and why we always POOP. It was all so basic that I had to do a serious :facepalm: and d'oh!

Plus I totally got it confused with "accidentally reversing the hoses", which is pretty much impossible with modern hoses and connectors these days. My dad tells me I never want to reverse the hoses. Not if I like having eyebrows…or a face for that matter.

I do have an inline gauge on my propane tank and I can pretty much tell when my propane is low. I've let it get pretty low, trying to eke out the rest of a bead before completely running out. Now, just in case, I'll be a little more cautious. Flashback arrestor or not, ANY flashback would cause me to need a new pair of pants!

I would use an arrestor with an oxycon to protect the oxycon too! Now, I just need an oxycon…love my tanked oxy, but when this video was first posted way-back-when on LE, it put the fear of tank in me. But then if my tank has a bad valve, I just take it back and exchange it for another one. I don't mess with them at all! Hell, I'm paranoid if I have to crank too hard to open the valve in the first place.

Thanks for your reply. I was wondering if my question was just too moronic to even be entertained because of POOP, always POOP, no exceptions!
Old 2010-06-13, 8:45am

Great, I just hooked up my cricket (I was on a hot head) and I put the flashback arrestor on the tank not close to the torch. I am guessing now I have to change it?

Old 2010-06-13, 9:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleCatJewels View Post
Linda, thanks. I'm just a little embarrassed that I even had to ask.

Thanks for your reply. I was wondering if my question was just too moronic to even be entertained because of POOP, always POOP, no exceptions!
Don't feel bad about asking!!! Your question wasn't at all dumb. Turns out there's more behind it, and it isn't intuitively obvious. I personally don't consider any question dumb, especially when it comes to safety.

Linda
Old 2010-06-13, 10:11am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
Great, I just hooked up my cricket (I was on a hot head) and I put the flashback arrestor on the tank not close to the torch. I am guessing now I have to change it?
If your hoses are relatively short, chances are probably small that any flashback would build up enough pressure in the hose to cause a rupture. If your hoses are on the longer side, you might consider it. The FBA where you have it will protect you, but you might lose a hose in the rare event that you had an 'event'. In my case, I had the FBA at the output of my regulator, similar to you. I didn't happen to lose the hose (mine were about 11' long), but I couldn't tell you whether or not I just got lucky.

Linda
Old 2010-06-13, 4:10pm

Nope the hose is pretty long. I will have to wait til I save up for it now though, I pretty much used up the budget i had on the hoses, regulator and the flash back arrestor for the tank. Pretty sure they won't take it back and exchange it either. Well I will pick it up as soon as I can and do it again.

Old 2010-06-13, 4:41pm

You don't necessarily have to take your FBAs back and exchange them, although if you saved the packaging, the place that sold them to you might let you. If you have hose barbs on your torch, you'd have to do what I described to Mikelene, above, anyway. It's a bit of a PITA to figure out the adapters you need to go from one fitting type to the next, but it's quite doable. It's also not terribly expensive. If you don't let your propane run out like I did, the chances of you having a flashback on your cricket are very small, so moving your FBA is something you can do at your convenience.

Linda
Old 2010-06-15, 5:41am
Queen Tut ;)

I'm suppose to go set up my work area today, regulators and hoses on my tanked oxy...and now I'm scared to death

Old 2010-06-15, 6:40am
Gentleman of Leisure

Do not be afraid.... The problem here is the person that was injured VIOLATED one of utmost SACRED work ETHICS on dealing with bad valve..... HE TRIED TO REMOVE VALVE FROM FULL OXYGEN TANK.... There is nothing to fear here, just respect the things that all have to go together. Main issues are test for leaks, if using tanked oxygen tank needs to be chained to wall so it can't fall over and propane tank outside... You will do fine....

It is similar to a box of matches, it has potential to be dangerous, but if you don't violate the rules for the box of matches, they are pretty benign...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-06-15 at 6:43am.