Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-01-04, 7:39am

The work you have to do for making a ebook or pdf tutorial is in principle the same. Only for printing you need higher quality photos and you have the risk of having a fault being printed, as in a pdf you can correct it and implement it in the next issues.

I prefer a printed book and I am willing to pay some extra money for it, but most people are not like me. So the risk of being left with a lot of books and having invested a lot of money, keeps people from making books.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-04, 7:40am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way...This is just my opinion.
Why don't you guys publish your tutorials in book form??
Very Very good question,
I prefer to buy books and in 3 years I have some books in my collection.

Actually, I have only 3 e-books. I find difficult to evaluate them ...

Lise

Glass beadmaking since 2006.

Old 2010-01-04, 7:46am
ManBearPig

I offer all of my tutorials in either electronic form or printed form for the same price. I have sold about the same number of each, so there are plenty of people out there who want to buy a printed book (which is what I do if I go buy something).

If anyone needs any help getting stuff printed, let me know. I worked in the printing industry for 20 years...

Old 2010-01-04, 8:07am

The difference I see in tutorials and printed books, such as Corina's book, the printed books for the most part do not contain any "new" material. Almost all the techniques in Corina's book have been around for years, if not centuries. Corina did not develop these techniques on her own and write about them, but took general everyday techniques and compiled them into an incredible book. I bought one because I think it is important to support such a noble cause of preserving these techniques for future beadmakers. I recommended this book to the students in every beginning class I taught.

In tutorials, you are (hopefully) getting techniques that the author developed him/herself and this is cutting-edge technology - at least the ones I have seen. You don't generally get cutting-edge technology in a perfectly bound book. It's fresh and it's new and it is straight from the author's head to your computer screen. How much better could it get?

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2010-01-04, 8:36am
Jacqueline Parkes

As a buyer of hundreds of online tutorials I have to say I would be very very disappointed if these talented artists stopped writing them.

As far as cost, I can justify it this way. I purchased a tutorial last week that has already paid for itself and made me a profit with the sales of just two beads. You cannot beat that.......and now I will have this skill for years.

Information is very very valuable to me and I will always be willing to pay the author a fair price.

Old 2010-01-04, 8:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
Of course they would, and they should too. It's a physical thing.
That's like saying you can't sell your torch if you've already
used it to make beads.
I ment as opposed to a tutorial you are not supposed to share with anyone.
Old 2010-01-04, 8:59am
Will work for glass...

The tutorials I have purchased have allowed me to gain knowledge from glassworkers all over the world. Most of those I have purchased are less expensive than books (and far less expensive than taking classes) and allow me access to the information almost instantly, whereas a book requires all that WAITING on the delivery! I live in an area where there are almost no other lampworkers, no studios nearby, no teachers or workshops, and almost everything I have learned has been via books, computer, and electronic tutorials/E-Books. I don't have to pay for the printing, so I guess that makes me lucky (I have free use of color laser printers at my job). Please KEEP EM COMING!
Old 2010-01-04, 9:04am
Anyone need some spacers?

In the 90's I self published 4 books on sewing. They were not in color just black and white I had to order them by the 1000's to get any good pricing on them and even then they still cost me 5 bucks. Dealing with the shipping and everything was a nightmare and I would not wish this on anyone. Look at these folks who have sold thousands of Ebooks each one of these would have had to have packaging, trips to the post office, and postage. That cut into my profits dearly and in the end I didn't end up making much money on each one. I was lucky most of my sales were of a dozen or more to the viking dealers across the country and the main viking warehouse in Cleveland ordered them by the 100's. You take a huge risk having them printed by the thousands what if you have a typo or many? What if there is new information and you would like to update? None of this can be done in hard copy. There are a whole bunch of great things about getting something electronically. The machines I wrote these books for got out dated and I still had thousands of these books in my basement. They went to the recycling in my last move it was a huge waste but they had been moved 5 times and I was not willing to move them again since they were out of date. I don't want anyone to get caught in this situation. I love the books on specialty glass but who knows if they will keep making that glass exactly the same? There are always new ways to do things and the books are easily updated to reflect what is happening in the glass world now.

These are just my feelings on this and I know that printing these are expensive but when you do print them you know that you are getting the most up to date info and I think that is what is important. The author can send out new print if there was something wrong with the old and you may just have to print a new page or so. It has happened with a few I have purchased and I was thrilled that it was so easy to fix.

Old 2010-01-04, 9:09am
Will work for glass...

Oh...also...many times I have read the tut's over page by page and then went to my torch and used the technique without ever having to bring the printed out version (or my laptop) anywhere near flames! When I was less experienced, or when I am following more complicated techniques I like to have the information close by, but for the most part, many of these e-books are written well enough as to provide instruction just by reading them!
Old 2010-01-04, 9:13am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadbug View Post
In the 90's I self published 4 books on sewing. They were not in color just black and white I had to order them by the 1000's to get any good pricing on them and even then they still cost me 5 bucks. Dealing with the shipping and everything was a nightmare and I would not wish this on anyone. Look at these folks who have sold thousands of Ebooks each one of these would have had to have packaging, trips to the post office, and postage. That cut into my profits dearly and in the end I didn't end up making much money on each one. I was lucky most of my sales were of a dozen or more to the viking dealers across the country and the main viking warehouse in Cleveland ordered them by the 100's. You take a huge risk having them printed by the thousands what if you have a typo or many? What if there is new information and you would like to update? None of this can be done in hard copy. There are a whole bunch of great things about getting something electronically. The machines I wrote these books for got out dated and I still had thousands of these books in my basement. They went to the recycling in my last move it was a huge waste but they had been moved 5 times and I was not willing to move them again since they were out of date. I don't want anyone to get caught in this situation. I love the books on specialty glass but who knows if they will keep making that glass exactly the same? There are always new ways to do things and the books are easily updated to reflect what is happening in the glass world now.

These are just my feelings on this and I know that printing these are expensive but when you do print them you know that you are getting the most up to date info and I think that is what is important. The author can send out new print if there was something wrong with the old and you may just have to print a new page or so. It has happened with a few I have purchased and I was thrilled that it was so easy to fix.
Any decent printing company will print as few as 25-50 books for you. Granted, you pay a little more per book than if you ordered them 1000 at a time, but with digital presses in most shops these days, the prices have come down significantly.

Old 2010-01-04, 9:43am
And silence is golden

I have to agree all the way with Donna (BeadBlossoms). She could not have worded it better. I love my ebooks. I would invest in a few more, but some of the pricing is getting a bit above my budget. I have seen some tutorial pricing that is just absolutely ludicrous!

I'm thinking that the tut authors might want to break down what each tutorial might have cost in any one hard copy of any lampwork instructional book, and re-adjust their ebook pricing. I'd be willing to bet that their sales might jump by leaps and bounds. Now my question is....why would anyone not want more sales? Afraid of getting into a higher tax bracket? Just curious. Not looking for an argument by any means.
Old 2010-01-04, 10:13am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
As a buyer of hundreds of online tutorials I have to say I would be very very disappointed if these talented artists stopped writing them.

As far as cost, I can justify it this way. I purchased a tutorial last week that has already paid for itself and made me a profit with the sales of just two beads. You cannot beat that.......and now I will have this skill for years.

Information is very very valuable to me and I will always be willing to pay the author a fair price.
This would have been my point exactly. I have some tutorials I've bought that were really beyond my capabilities (at this time) and so have not recouped my money from them. But most of the tutorials I've gotten pay for themselves after only one session at the torch. I haven't printed my out yet, I take my laptop to the torch (for music and tuts) but I would love to take some of my favorites and print out into one spiral bound booklet.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2010-01-04, 1:13pm
Queen Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
The difference I see in tutorials and printed books, such as Corina's book, the printed books for the most part do not contain any "new" material. Almost all the techniques in Corina's book have been around for years, if not centuries. Corina did not develop these techniques on her own and write about them, but took general everyday techniques and compiled them into an incredible book. I bought one because I think it is important to support such a noble cause of preserving these techniques for future beadmakers. I recommended this book to the students in every beginning class I taught.

In tutorials, you are (hopefully) getting techniques that the author developed him/herself and this is cutting-edge technology - at least the ones I have seen. You don't generally get cutting-edge technology in a perfectly bound book. It's fresh and it's new and it is straight from the author's head to your computer screen. How much better could it get?
Hmmm.....not sure I can entirely agree with you Pam. When Corinna published Passing the Flame, it was cutting edge info for a lot of people at that time. Many would not have been able to start bead making without it. Of course people have been making beads for centuries, but how many publications were available from those centuries to learn and practice from? I can't imagine the undertaking it was to document those entire how to's and techniques and put them in a form where beginners could learn how to make a bead. I think it easy to say now it is just a beginner's book. But at the time, many of todays well know lampworkers started just there. It was a kind of cornerstone for many lampworkers, no? Heck, look at some of the early WC posts and see where a lot of our current great artists were then. Not much at all was available, and everyone relied on everyone else’s experimentation, documentation and sharing among artists. Copper green reacting with rubino was a discovery back then. And what was available as written documentation before Passing the Flame? Sure, it's no longer cutting edge, but it sure was then. And it's still the lampworking "bible" to many. I think she deserves the credit for it.

Karen Leonardo developed her own tools and techniques on pulling petals, etc. I think The Glass Workshop book has several innovative new techniques as well. So, I don't agree that most books don't have any new techniques. That stuff went fresh from the artists' head to a book ) I don't think many would people buy books if they had nothing new to offer.

But don't get me wrong, I love tuts! I admire you all, and I would love to see how each one of you makes your special thing.....be it a flower bead, or silver glass, etc. I just have to be very selective 'cause I wasn't born independently wealthy - darn it!!

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2010-01-04, 1:56pm
I like to melt things

I would rather have eBooks than real books for a few reasons.

1) eBooks don't take up any space in my tiny apartment.
2) I don't really need the fire hazard of paper near my torch. I can study, then go torch, then go back and study some more.
3) I'd rather not kill the trees.
4) My electronic version will never get torn, stained, burnt or chewed by my dog.
5) I can get the electronic one immediately, and then just pop it open and read it whenever I am at my computer. If there's stuff I don't want to forget when I get to the torch, I know how to take notes.
6) I don't want to make exact replicas of other people's beads anyway, so it's actually better if I don't have them right in front of me.

Most of the tutorials I have purchased have had great information and step by step photos. That said, I will never pay more than $25 for one, so pricing them above that automatically excludes me from your customer base.

-
-
Old 2010-01-04, 2:12pm
I speak Murrini!

Interesting ideas and feedback everyone! After reviewing all of this, I'm leaning toward an ebook (PDF format) for my "Skull Murrini/Design Creation Concept" Tut. As I've seen in other tuts I've purchased, I'm probably gonna include a "snapshot" page, with the main steps all on one page in collage format, so this can be sleeved and taken to the torch as needed.

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-01-04, 2:23pm

Donna, I definitely do agree with you that Corina's BOOK was very innovative and "cutting edge", just not the techniques in the book. What was cutting edge was that she documented them and it was and is a fantastic book. As I said, I recommended it to all my beginning students. Here it was finally in print, a real boost to beginning lampworkers. I definitely was not putting the book down at all.

My point was, rather, that many books don't reflect the truly new and innovative techniques that people come up with. It takes a lot of time for a book to get printed and distributed, whereas many tutorials can be done in just a few weeks. So, from the torch to your computer in a really short time, fresh, new, innovative techniques.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2010-01-04, 3:04pm
Mary Lockwood

I only read the original post, so sorry if this is redundant but I wanted to give my own answer.

My tutorials have all been available as printed books since the very first one. The jellyfish book is only $27, all the others are $25, printed from lulu so I'm not entirely sure where the $60 price tag comes from. teehee

I do take a bath on the books to keep them that price. I had to lower the amount per tutorial that I earn by a few dollars to keep the book price in a range that I thought people would actually pay.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I probably won't be making anymore single tutorials. I don't think any of my other current beads are special enough to stand alone...but I have been working on a compilation that will be in printed form (from lulu) and not have a digital download of that available.

So I guess that means that I agree with you. I think that unless a digital tutorial has many individual techniques included, or is very involved in a particular area that they aren't monetarily worth the same as a book. But, keep in mind too that most of these tutorials that get to focus on a single set of techniques can go a lot more in depth about them than a book can. So it is more like a mini-lesson than a book. Therefore, worth more in the long run.

But I do still like tutorials, and most of them linger just under $20 and none of the bound lampwork books I've personally purchased were less than $35 and contained bunches of stuff I wasn't necessarily interested in- I just purchased the book for specific things I knew were included. The rest was garnish. I either already knew it or wasn't interested in it. I guess if I think of it that way, then tutorial prices are fair. Plus, with it being digital download people like the instant gratification.

I also think that there are different types of tutorials. Some of them are 60 pages long with 200 full color photos, some of them are 20 pages of text with 30 huge pictures all spread apart. Some of them you actually NEED next to you while you work, some of them you could just print the tricky pages and just remember the rest.

There are around 20 pages in my jellyfish tutorial. If I had purchased that tutorial from someone else as a pdf file, there are only like 4 pages I actually would have printed out. The rest I would have been able to remember.

I don't think that the trick to pricing tutorials in in the format- it is in the information. I sold my secret. It was worth $18 a pop. That's it.

~~Mary

Old 2010-01-04, 5:15pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Exactly. Just think about what you are paying for. We are exchanging dollars for information that in all probability took years of study for one to learn.

Value is perceived though and quite personal. Only you yourself can decide whether a digital tutorial is worth your hard earned dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I only read the original post, so sorry if this is redundant but I wanted to give my own answer.

My tutorials have all been available as printed books since the very first one. The jellyfish book is only $27, all the others are $25, printed from lulu so I'm not entirely sure where the $60 price tag comes from. teehee

I do take a bath on the books to keep them that price. I had to lower the amount per tutorial that I earn by a few dollars to keep the book price in a range that I thought people would actually pay.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I probably won't be making anymore single tutorials. I don't think any of my other current beads are special enough to stand alone...but I have been working on a compilation that will be in printed form (from lulu) and not have a digital download of that available.

So I guess that means that I agree with you. I think that unless a digital tutorial has many individual techniques included, or is very involved in a particular area that they aren't monetarily worth the same as a book. But, keep in mind too that most of these tutorials that get to focus on a single set of techniques can go a lot more in depth about them than a book can. So it is more like a mini-lesson than a book. Therefore, worth more in the long run.

But I do still like tutorials, and most of them linger just under $20 and none of the bound lampwork books I've personally purchased were less than $35 and contained bunches of stuff I wasn't necessarily interested in- I just purchased the book for specific things I knew were included. The rest was garnish. I either already knew it or wasn't interested in it. I guess if I think of it that way, then tutorial prices are fair. Plus, with it being digital download people like the instant gratification.

I also think that there are different types of tutorials. Some of them are 60 pages long with 200 full color photos, some of them are 20 pages of text with 30 huge pictures all spread apart. Some of them you actually NEED next to you while you work, some of them you could just print the tricky pages and just remember the rest.

There are around 20 pages in my jellyfish tutorial. If I had purchased that tutorial from someone else as a pdf file, there are only like 4 pages I actually would have printed out. The rest I would have been able to remember.

I don't think that the trick to pricing tutorials in in the format- it is in the information. I sold my secret. It was worth $18 a pop. That's it.

~~Mary

Old 2010-01-04, 11:39pm

There is a huge difference in digital printing or offset printing. The quality of a offset printed book is so much better then a digital printed book, especially if there are a lot of photos in it. Same goes for a glued or a really binded book. The higher quality, the higher the price.

The e-books most of the time touch one or two subjects or techniques and in printed books you will find more and different techniques. But the e-book tutorials go in to depth a lot more.

There are so many differences, you can not compare those two different medias. My conclusion is that although I like quality printed book way better then electronic books, it is not possible for a reasonable price to print every tutorial in a high quality.

|
Old 2010-01-05, 12:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
Is there another solution? Could the tutorial writers have a "printer version" no frills, just instructions and a few pictures? Could some of those pictures be in black and white and get across the same information? Perhaps an insert at the end of the tutorial that could be printed separately?

This is what I did for my tutorial... I send out the full version as one PDF file and then a second file has just the important steps needed at the torch and it is in black and white so that it is printer friendly. I figured that then people who want to print the full color can do that and those who just need to info at the torch have a resource to use at a low cost on the printing end.

As far as running a full book printing... It is so hard to know how many will sell and then the cost per book printed is higher the lower the quantity you purchase. Some people sell hundreds of tutorials, while others don't sell many at all even if it seems like there is a ton of interest in the technique. I guess it just becomes more risky for the artist and more costly for those purchasing the tutorial.

Old 2010-01-05, 7:09am
Mary Lockwood

Just for anyone who might not know- you CAN set most printers to print black&white only, and set it to fast draft or economy and print out any tutorials quickly and cheaply.

As far as digital printing- I am very very happy with how lulu printed my books. I think they did a great job. You just have to make sure that you send unbelievably high quality images. Choose a glossy, heavy paper for the pages. I chose a spiral binding because it is easier to use at the torch because it can be folded back on itself- it is what I would have wanted next to me. I do think though, that for the compilation, I'll be choosing perfect bound- but I'm not dead set on it yet.

Don't skimp when creating your digitally printed books- it makes a difference. Cheap paper and low quality images do NOT translate well into print.

~~Mary

Old 2010-01-05, 9:35am
da General

I offer SE3 - Silver Exchange How To in printed book format from lulu and haven't sold a single one. It's $43.90 because it's 72 pages so that may be the deterrent. lulu's shipping tends to be on the price-y side as well. SE4 is due to come out and I am debating if I should sell it as printed book as well as pdf.

http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback_book/se3/6206163

I agree that offset printing of books is usually of a higher quality than digital printing such as lulu (or our own home printer) but I have purchased a copy of SE3 from lulu and found that the quality is acceptable . . . better than anyone can produce ourselves.

Karen Hardy is spot on outlining the cost benefit of a pdf and a lulu book on demand. lulu not only charges for the printing for the book, it imposes a fairly high percentage of the final cost of the book. As Mary mentioned, to keep the cost of the lulu books down, we have to lower the amount per tutorial we earn.

I agree that a tutorial priced around $20 is much more attractive to potential buyers. The bottom line is - does the author want to sell less at a higher price or more at a lower price. I choose the latter for it benefits more people . . .

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-01-05, 3:06pm
Broken

This is an interesting read. I cant think of anything I do worth putting into a tutorial, certainly not a book. I agree with Pam, a tutorial emailed to you is quicker and often has more new interesting techniques. By the time someone gets it to print and a book comes out often the technique has been done somewhere else.

Pricing is a hard one, I think you are paying for someone's time and knowledge so I figure if it's under 25.00 that's reasonable. It's MUCH cheaper than a class, and when you figure most tutorial writers will field questions via email it's well worth it.

Old 2010-01-09, 9:12am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriam View Post
There is a huge difference in digital printing or offset printing. The quality of a offset printed book is so much better then a digital printed book, especially if there are a lot of photos in it. Same goes for a glued or a really binded book. The higher quality, the higher the price.

The e-books most of the time touch one or two subjects or techniques and in printed books you will find more and different techniques. But the e-book tutorials go in to depth a lot more.

There are so many differences, you can not compare those two different medias. My conclusion is that although I like quality printed book way better then electronic books, it is not possible for a reasonable price to print every tutorial in a high quality.
It depends on the digital press. I remember when the first digital presses were nothing more than fancy laser printers (well, technically that's what they still are I guess) and the quality was definitely way behind offset printing. These days though I'll be willing to bet that nobody could tell the difference between a job printed offset and a job printed on a high end digital press. For example, go pick up a copy of Sports Illustrated. It's one of the first mainstream magazines to be printed digitally. It has been for several years.

Now, if someone wants to get their stuff printed digitally, it's not cheap (and lulu is one of the most expensive out there). Check around, and also find out about the equipment they use. Demand a print sample (which lulu won't provide), preferably of your actual job.

Again, if anyone needs help in this department, feel free to ask. Over half my life was spent in the printing industry.

Old 2010-01-14, 2:16pm

I prefer digital formats. Here's why...

- I can get it *quick*. Often instantly.
- I can read it at work or at home computers, or on my iphone.
- I can easily check out an artists' work before deciding if I want to buy her tut.
- I can pay with paypal, which is how I receive payment for beads, which makes it all work out in my head at least
- Cheaper than printed books.

I don't often print them. Wierdly enough, I'm not interested in following along step by step, unless its a really new tech for me. I just want to absorb the technique into my repertoire of skills (sometimes this requires following along step by step once or twice). I really don't like to follow directions, I like to take what I can & do my own crazy thing with it. I'm buying for the a-ha moments & the money tips, basically. (As any of my teachers can tell ya, lol).

What I don't like about these tuts is basically one thing - all the reviews on this site are positive (I've found all my tuts here). Printed books on Amazon or Powell's have unbiased reviews that chart the flaws as well as the strengths, allowing me to make a more informed purchasing decision. Sometimes negative reviews even convince me to purchase (ie, warnings that the book isn't for beginners, or that it is for rank beginners). I'm as guilty of this as the next girl - if I don't like a tut I keep it to myself. Its part of the supportive atmosphere & very nice, but its sometimes not what I'm looking for.

|
Old 2010-01-15, 12:52pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavendar420 View Post
I prefer digital formats. Here's why...

- I can get it *quick*. Often instantly.
- I can read it at work or at home computers, or on my iphone.
- I can easily check out an artists' work before deciding if I want to buy her tut.
- I can pay with paypal, which is how I receive payment for beads, which makes it all work out in my head at least
- Cheaper than printed books.

I don't often print them. Wierdly enough, I'm not interested in following along step by step, unless its a really new tech for me. I just want to absorb the technique into my repertoire of skills (sometimes this requires following along step by step once or twice). I really don't like to follow directions, I like to take what I can & do my own crazy thing with it. I'm buying for the a-ha moments & the money tips, basically. (As any of my teachers can tell ya, lol).

What I don't like about these tuts is basically one thing - all the reviews on this site are positive (I've found all my tuts here). Printed books on Amazon or Powell's have unbiased reviews that chart the flaws as well as the strengths, allowing me to make a more informed purchasing decision. Sometimes negative reviews even convince me to purchase (ie, warnings that the book isn't for beginners, or that it is for rank beginners). I'm as guilty of this as the next girl - if I don't like a tut I keep it to myself. Its part of the supportive atmosphere & very nice, but its sometimes not what I'm looking for.
I agree with you there. Sometimes people are all to quick to say what they like or don't like about something, but in situations like this where that information would be useful, it seems nobody wants to say anything if it isn't positive. I'm sure with the wide number of tutorials out there that there has to be some concerns or constructive criticism. Perhaps if there was a way people could post anonymously that would help...

Old 2010-01-15, 1:16pm
Boro Bum

Yes I agree ! I have bought some that are well not that good but as you all KNOW around here say 1 non positive thing about anyone or anything and you get crucified badly. I have started if I have something non positive to say "not often anymore as i'm scared of being kicked out of LE" I never go back to that thread as I know there will be all kinds of post saying how wrong I am or just plain calling me a lair. This is a big problem around here with not only tut's but with a lot of things.

AcidFly

Last edited by AcidFly; 2010-01-15 at 1:18pm.
Old 2010-01-15, 1:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadBlossoms View Post
Disclaimer - my comments are not aimed at any one artist. Just my general opinions for what they are worth (about 2 cents)

I think it is a valid and intriguing subject.......at Amazon you can buy Passing the Flame for $59, Karen Leonardo's book for $16.49, The Glass Bead Workshop by Jeri L. Warhaftig for $16.47. All in a glorious bound, full color glossy book that you can keep near your torch to reference. Most with plenty of new techniques, and you can re-sell it for near what you paid when you no longer have a use for it. An extremely good value for your dollar. Taking all this in consideration, I would think Corrrina's book would end up pennies per technique.

So, as much as I appreciate online tuts, I do think some of the pricing is very high, especially since you still have to pay to print it out. After you add that in, it often becomes out priced for many. I won't take my laptop to the torch, and how many can remember from reading a tut on the screen, every step at the torch, especially if it's a new technique? Highly unlikely, so realistically, printing it out is usually necessary.

I think it's a business decision on where you choose to market and sell your tut. One can sell a ton at a lower rate, or less at a higher rate. ( Or if you're very lucky a ton at a high rate ). If you choose to price it high, you are making the decision to sell it to that segment of the market that are willing to pay your higher price. The rest may stick to the lower priced offerings.

Personally, it's very unlikely I would ever pay over $25 for an online tut. But I'm sure many will. It's supply and demand. And just as you can price your beads as you wish, tuts certainly follow the same reasoning. That said, I sure wish the prices would stay more reasonable )
Thank you! I'm not aiming at anyone on this as I've seen the starting of tutorials written and how each and every one of them has gone higher and higher. I own so many of these E books too and those of you authors that sell, will know that. But at some time there has to be a limit to how high you can go. It's like...well lets see how far I can push the button and that's fine. It's your Tutorial and you all can do whatever you want.....
I'm just saying that alot of people are dropping out because they are just going up and up and up....the economy now is going down, down and down!
Just my 2 cents though.

Old 2010-01-15, 3:22pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I have an inkling on the whys and how this community works.

Many of us are working terribly hard to earn a living by doing what we love. I don't think anyone wants to have their reputation ruined by speaking up and then being flamed , etc etc.

And for the record, I have never been disappointed in the tutorials I have purchased from members here. I have with a few outside of this community though but then again, I only paid $5 or less.

I am okay with that.

Old 2010-01-15, 4:04pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFly View Post
Yes I agree ! I have bought some that are well not that good but as you all KNOW around here say 1 non positive thing about anyone or anything and you get crucified badly. I have started if I have something non positive to say "not often anymore as i'm scared of being kicked out of LE" I never go back to that thread as I know there will be all kinds of post saying how wrong I am or just plain calling me a lair. This is a big problem around here with not only tut's but with a lot of things.

AcidFly
I know what you mean. There are certain threads that I have a very strong opinion on, but I know how people will perceive that opinion, so I just stay out of that thread...