Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2011-04-04, 10:25am
Lampworkaholic!

I have a question. If we submit beads, how will we be notified if they are not chosen? What is the time frame for a decision? What happens to those bead samples that are not chosen? If our hearts are not chosen, do we have the option to offer them for sale on consignment?

OK, I guess I had more than one question.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks!

Liz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-04-04, 10:42am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Liz, my understanding was that those beads not selected still become part of the program (donation beads). I think I read that in the PDF?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-04-04, 1:27pm
Lampworkaholic!

You are right Astrid, it does say that in the file, twice actually. I now see that all of the hearts will be used as end of treatment beads for children in the program and BOC will buy more of the designs it selects, and also, some beads not initially chosen may be held on an alternate basis for possible later consideration.

I never was very good about reading the directions.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2011-04-04 at 2:21pm.
Old 2011-04-04, 2:07pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
You are right Astrid, it does say that in the file, twice actually. I now see that all of the hearts will be used as end of treatment beads for children in the programin the program and BOC will buy more of the designs it selects, and also, some beads not initially chosen may be held on an alternate basis for possible later consideration.

I never was very good about reading the directions.
I'm trying to work my way through Diane's fishie tutorial, you should see ME, it's comical.

I do OK once I get it, it's the getting of it that's a pain. I have that selective reading where I get step 1 and step 4 and completely miss everything in between.

One fishie has been water annealed, we'll see what happens later tonight.

Old 2011-04-04, 3:27pm
Critter Mom

Quote:
Bonnie, BE Violet Striker is a perfect purple for BOC hearts. I love that color! Makes me want to go out to my studio and make some purple hearts right now.
I think the violet striker is beautiful too, but I couldn't get it to work for my hearts. Maybe if I used it for encasing over white...or in stringer form it would work, but when I made a heart with it I couldn't get it to strike. I thought maybe it was because it was so thick because I never have that problem when using it in stringer form.

Old 2011-04-04, 7:13pm

Oh Bonnie, I should have mentioned that it needs to be used over white or a pale pink or lavender. You can also case over clear if you want a transparent heart. But alone, Violet Striker would be too dark. Strange about it not striking though.

BTW, I love your cat beads!

Old 2011-04-04, 10:39pm

I love to make hearts, and I am all about the purple. Evil queen is my favorite. Thanks for the ideas Lori, yours are so playful. They are treasured for sure. I will try to send some submissions. What a good way to keep your stock consistent, and support bead arts
Old 2011-04-08, 12:05pm

Quote:
Can the hearts be the kind with the hole on a lobe with a jump ring? This is boro.

what tool do you use to put the hole in the glass like this i think it would be much better than a loop and i love making hearts like this. Thanks

My Etsy
Old 2011-04-09, 9:53am
StudioMarcy

Hi Audra, there are a variety of tools that do this, but I use Jodie Ruskin's bail biter. Here is a link to what I use.

For me, it's very easy.

Good luck,
Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-04-14, 8:35am
Mr Brutus RIP

Lori,
I sent you an email a few days ago but haven't heard back and was wondering if you got it or not. I had a question about the purple hearts. Maybe someone here knows.......

Do we send a bunch of different hearts so BOC can choose if they want a peticular style?
I did have another question but I can't remember and it hasn't been asked here yet...LOL
sue

Old 2011-04-14, 10:17am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Lori,
I sent you an email a few days ago but haven't heard back and was wondering if you got it or not. I had a question about the purple hearts. Maybe someone here knows.......

Do we send a bunch of different hearts so BOC can choose if they want a peticular style?
I did have another question but I can't remember and it hasn't been asked here yet...LOL
sue
That is what I did - sent a variety of styles. If BOC wants more of a certain style, they may order a small production run of that style. All the hearts we send may be used in the program, even if BOC doesn't place an order for more, as I understand it. So, chosen or not, the hearts we send are going to a good cause.

Old 2011-04-17, 10:35am
Obsessed Blogger

Hi Sue.

I didn't get your email. Hmmm.

You can either send them all or just the ones you want considered. The ones that aren't used are used for donations for the kids.

::
Old 2011-04-22, 9:50am
Mr Brutus RIP

Thanks Elizabeth and Lori. Yes, I figured the ones not chosen would stay with the kids anyway which is fantastic! I have a small amount of beads already (not hearts) that I have been meaning to send in for SO long and I just keep adding to it.
I do need to find a nice purple, I really like a grape color......is there such a thing in glass? LIke fanta grape. LOL
Thanks for the info!!
sue

Old 2011-04-22, 12:50pm
Lampworkaholic!

Effetre 591039 is a really nice grape purple but you have to use it over clear or white or it is too dense. Diane Woodall first suggested that color.

Reichenbach Lilac and Lauscha Blue Violet are the closest to grape-purple pastels I've yet found.

Now Bulleye, there are lots of great purple purples. Gold Purple Opal is one and there are a lot of Purple Odds in my stash but I don't know the names, maybe someone else can help.

Old 2011-04-22, 7:52pm

Hi Liz and Sue, My favorite Bullseye purple is Violet Striker. It is transparent, so use it over white. The rods may look like they are blue, but they will strike to an awesome rich purple.

Uroboros has a grape purple called...Grape. It's transparent and can be used over white and it's 96COE.

Lauscha also has a beautiful royal transparent purple, but since Moretti has some for a lot less money, I usually stick with Moretti instead of Lauscha for the 104COE.

Old 2011-04-23, 7:07pm

I think the Lauscha Transparent Purple (which is the transparent version of opaque blue-violet) is perfect for the hearts. Really nice program!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2011-04-23 at 7:10pm.
Old 2011-04-25, 12:39pm

Bullseye had a beautiful opaque purple called Gonzo Grape that's also great for hearts!

Leslie
Frit Happens...
Old 2011-04-28, 9:04pm
Obsessed Blogger

I use dark transparent lavender with dark purple enamel for some nice purple! Just don't boil it or it doesn't look so nice.

Old 2011-05-18, 9:36am
Obsessed Blogger

Always looking for more purple heart artists! We are in the process of putting out a 500 purple heart order to artists and we need some variety! Here is the original call:

Beads of Courage is growing rapidly and to keep up with demand and quality they are starting a program to purchase the important Purple Heart bead for completion of treatment in the oncology program.

If you would like small runs of production work making purple hearts, please see the details here:

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me directly. I cannot manage communications through pm or facebook.

Please pass the word to anyone/anywhere you think there might be interested artists. Glass beads only, no pendants with loops or bails.

Old 2011-05-18, 9:38am
Obsessed Blogger

PS: To avoid confusion, please make sure that hearts are mailed to ME at BOC North.

Lori Greenberg
34522 N. Scottsdale Rd, #D8453
Scottsdale, AZ 85266

The Headquarters address in Tucson is for donations and we don't want your submissions to end up there! (If you include donations with your submission, I will make sure they get to HQ).

Old 2011-05-18, 1:23pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Always looking for more purple heart artists! We are in the process of putting out a 500 purple heart order to artists and we need some variety! Here is the original call:

Beads of Courage is growing rapidly and to keep up with demand and quality they are starting a program to purchase the important Purple Heart bead for completion of treatment in the oncology program.

If you would like small runs of production work making purple hearts, please see the details here:

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me directly. I cannot manage communications through pm or facebook.

Please pass the word to anyone/anywhere you think there might be interested artists. Glass beads only, no pendants with loops or bails.
Lori, May I ask what the age range is for the children receiving these Heart Beads?
Old 2011-05-22, 9:25pm
Obsessed Blogger

Any child that is seen on a pediatric ward...up to 18 years old and possibly a little older if they run over in the length of their treatment.

Old 2011-05-23, 4:27am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Any child that is seen on a pediatric ward...up to 18 years old and possibly a little older if they run over in the length of their treatment.
Thank you Lori, that helps to think of older designs too.
Old 2011-11-27, 9:56pm

Is this program still going on?

Caroline
Old 2011-11-28, 10:20am

No, unfortunately we had to suspend this program due to a shortage of funds to support it. We always need hearts, though, and would really appreciate any that you would care to send in.
Thanks for all you do to support Beads of Courage!

Robert
Old 2011-11-28, 10:34am
Loving learning

Robert,
I had put a hold on trying to make hearts because when I read the criteria for this program, I realized my hearts weren't quite big enough to fit the guidelines.
Now that it has been suspended, I'm wondering if my hearts being a little bit smaller will disqualify them, or if they'll be used anyway. If so, I will go back to making one or more when I have the urge.
If they really do have to be that size (1 1/4" or larger) then I still may may make some of my BOC beads as hearts, but won't necessarily make them purple.
Old 2011-11-28, 10:39am

We've also suspended the size requirements, so any just about hearts you make can find their way out to the kids. We still want heart makers to refrain from using hanger loops (these break off, even with boro) and try to keep the points from being long and thin as these also tend to break.
Thanks
Robert
Old 2011-11-28, 10:51am
Loving learning

Thanks for the info, I'll be making some hearts soon!
Old 2011-11-30, 9:47am
Ad astra per aspera

Oh yay!!! I was going to try to submit hearts for this program, but I just couldn't seem to get them big enough (and manageable at the same time). I have a bunch on the sidelines, so I'll gather them up and send them along.

Old 2011-11-30, 9:50am
Lampworkaholic!

I will send some in soon too.