No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2017-12-14, 1:29pm
Phill

Default Extinguisher Recall 2017

I originally posted this in the Potty but I think maybe it needs to hang around a little longer that two days before being "flushed".

Seems there are a bunch of fire extinguishes that are being replaced by the maker at no cost due to problems with the plastic valves and nozzles.

While I was chasing details about Christmas Tree Tinsel I stumbled on to this webpage :

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/ki...-discharge-and

And this is the headline across the top of the page;

Kidde Recalls Fire Extinguishers with Plastic Handles Due to Failure to Discharge and Nozzle Detachment: One Death Reported

The pages are well worth reading from end to end but eventually you will be directed to this webpage:

https://inmarmarketaction.com/kidde/

There are a few pages to click through to get to the forms to fill out but they will send out replacement(s) right to your door.

Do be careful to double check if the model you have is listed as needing to be recalled though.

There was an issue with filling out the form concerning date codes and eventually their system told me that one of my two did not need to be replaced but when I called and spoke to a human the young lady told me they were having problems with the software and that both of my extinguishers did meet the criteria and would be replaced in the mail.

Just thought everyone would want to know.
Old 2017-12-14, 4:05pm
Phill

Someone had a question about extinguishers having an age limit or shelf life so here is a copy of my reply to that;

I think I saw on one of the websites while I was following the rabbit hole that there were recalls on extinguishers from as far back as 1994 or maybe earlier than that even.

They put them together in an extremely dry atmosphere so that humidity should never become a problem for them while they sit on a shelf for several dozen years.

It is a good idea to take them off the wall and gently turn them over end for end a few half dozen times to give the powder a good loosening.
They can get a little packed down just from gravity over time.

It is also a good idea to give them a shake or three just before you pull the pin and use them if you have a fire for the same reason.

But as long as the pressure gage still shows in the green zone they should be reliable.

I think back in my Navy days we used to send the dry powder type in for refilling and recharging if it had been 15 years since they were serviced (that is the kind that most homes will have) but I got out of the Navy in 1993 so that may have changed.
But we mostly had the carbon dioxide type and they lasted as long as they were not rusted.

However if you get the chance to test one on a back yard fire it is really good practice in learning how to sweep them side to side starting several feet in front of the fire and then moving inward to smoother the base of the flames.

If you have never ever used one I really suggest buying one to practice with at least once.

It is well worth doing it once for yourself what ever they cost.

Getting personal instruction from a firefighter while using up an old extinguisher is priceless.
(Keeps the 'pucker factor' out of the equation if you ever really need to use one in an emergency.)

Last edited by Speedslug; 2017-12-14 at 4:54pm.
Old 2017-12-15, 12:38pm

You would not believe how long I was confused about there being toy fire extinguishers for "kiddies" >_< In any case, I gave mine the once-over and none are that brand. Thanks for posting about it!
Old 2017-12-15, 2:43pm
Loving learning

Thank you for the reminder, I am going to go get mine and check it out.
Old 2017-12-15, 2:55pm
Phill

They were sold under various brand names as well so be sure to look over the model name/number list just to make sure you don't have one that will fail to work for you when you absolutely need it to.
Old 2018-01-07, 4:43pm
balanced but asymmetrical

Thanks for the heads up Phill.
Our replacement extinguisher has arrived and the potentially problematic unit is boxed and awaiting FedEx hazardous materials pick-up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
extinguisher, fire, recalled