No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2018-04-12, 2:02am

Red face shed ventilation - with vented skylight and wall vents

hello everyone!

I'm moving in a couple months and will need to set up my studio in a shed in the garden. It is 12x16 feet with a peak height of 10ft 10 inches.

I was hoping, with such a large space and high ceilings, I could get away with just some passive venting like this: http://www.shedus.com/SkylightVent.htm

I run a minor torch with two 5 liter oxycons (refurbished) which together put out about 5 liters.

Thank you for your help!

=) Jenefer

PS the shed also has a few windows which open, so I could get crossflow of air that way too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us--Joseph Campbell
Old 2018-04-12, 2:12am
Slogan Challenged...

Hi Jenefer! Congrats on getting your own shedio, that is going to be so much fun
Personally i don't think that is enough. That is passive venting, for an ordinary space, not a studio with fumes.
On the bright side, if you have windows you can use one for outflow, and use another for makeup air. Just make sure they are not next to each other. LOL

We would love to see pics of your progress!

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2018-04-12, 7:12am

Red face

Hi Kristin

Thank you for your reply! I'm looking forward to settling in. My happy place during all this upheaval is thinking about how I'll set up my new studio =)

I currently have a very simple extractor setup featuring a metal cone near the flame connected to the fan with aluminum ducting and then more ducting which I shove out the nearby doggy door. This works ok, no gas smells or headaches while torching.

I am just thinking about options which might allow me to avoid cutting holes in the shed.

I guess I can see how the ventilation is, with the windows open and the ducting just stuck out one of those. Might not be a quite as brilliant a solution, come wintertime, but I could make a new decision at that point. Hehe!

Hmmmm, what do y'all think about a box fan mounted up high, against an exterior vent...I'm visualizing this would push ceiling air out the vent...? That would vent the whole building, not just the air in front of the torch.

I'm assuming the bad gasses rise. Maybe that's a faulty assumption!

Thanks again for any help!

=) Jenefer

We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us--Joseph Campbell

Last edited by Jenefer Ham; 2018-04-12 at 11:33am. Reason: forgot the 'not' in "might not" =)
Old 2018-04-12, 8:29am

You'd still need an extraction system right at the torch. You don't want all those fumes from the metals in the glass wafting around your head before going out the top. Ventilation is something that takes some time to set up, but it's always worth it in the long term.
Old 2018-04-12, 9:28am
Slogan Challenged...

Shawnette Panky has a photo of her system, where she put a board in an open window with a hole in it to allow for her venting system to send the fumes outside. The window was insulated around the board, and this was good for wintertime too. Let me see if I can find that......I would avoid cutting holes too if i could!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2018-04-12, 10:17am
Slogan Challenged...

Well looks like she took her blog down, here is a picture, you can see what i mean

Name:  f4bc2fcfba972cb9667cbba05b497c75--studio-setup-studio-ideas.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  44.0 KB

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2018-04-12, 2:05pm

ooh! That looks like it'll do the job perfectly! Thank you for the info!

I'll post photos when I get it set up =)

Old 2018-04-12, 5:25pm
Phill

There is a metric ton of information on ventilation in the safety threads and in the studio threads as well.

I did safety training for a lot of the ships I served on in the Navy over 17 years and one thing is certain for your shedio;
You MUST have sizable, suitable forced air ventilation if you don't want to poison your self or contaminate your family with the heavy metals that are used in coloring glass.

Look up the minimum contamination levels for cobalt (blue), copper (greens) and cadmium (yellow I think).

This stuff is nothing to mess around with.

A box fan in a window fighting off a 5 mile an hour wind is like a candle compared to the sun.

You would be better off knocking out the walls on all four sides or just working under an awning on a patio table.

Do a search ventilation for a list of the discussions about it.

Contaminates like lead and other heavy metals boil out of the glass and fall on the work bench like a dust cloud and get all over your hands, tools and everything you touch and unless you 1)wear disposable gloves and do surgical decontamination routines every time you melt glass.

That stuff will then wind up on your hands that you use to make dinner with and that allows you to share it with every one in your family.

Kristins picture will work just fine but you have to have an electric fan pushing at least 875 cubic feet of air per minute and that minimum is only if you are working in a barley box with a 2 foot high by 3 foot wide open front.

Check with a local heating and ventilation company. they usually have fully functional furnace blower fans that they have to pay the junk man to get rid of and will often give them to you free.

Mine is a squirrel cage from a 100,000 but furnace we replaced in our 2 story 4 bedroom home.

Don't pretend to do this ventilation good enough. It could really really physically hurt you and those you love in a permanent way.

Tags
passive, shed, studio, ventilation, venting, vents