Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2008-12-27, 11:08am
Cancer Sucks!!!

Default Considering getting a new pocket camera

I'm considering getting a new pocket camera. One of the compact versions that I can take along on my bike to shoot some snapshots. Being able to shoot beads as well would definately be a plus. I currently have an Olympus CR5050 zoom that I really like. I like the supermacro setting.

So, I've been looking at the new Olympus stylus due to the super macro setting. But, I also like the Canon ELPH.

Any recommendations?? I've been reading some reviews and now I'm a bit confused.

I'm bilingual, I speak Sarcasm as a second language!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New beads in my shoppe!! Finally!
Old 2008-12-27, 3:59pm
Happy Beadmaker!

Vicki: I lovelovelove my Canon Powershot SD10 ELPH-- great little camera for the $$$. I love the charging system, convenient, carries right in my little bag with the camera. Great macro shots, great zoom. I bought a similar Canon for my son for Christmas (newer generation has more resolution/more zoom capabilities, etc.) and now that mine is so old, I'm thinking of retiring it to "backup" and buying a new one for myself. I'll stick with the Powershot because it's just been soooooo user-friendly and CAPABLE!

HTH!
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2008-12-28, 11:15am
I'm not Barbie.

So Lea, do you also use that camera for taking bead pix too? Can you show a sample pic? THX!
Old 2008-12-28, 11:31am
Happy Beadmaker!

Default Pics with my little [old] Canon!

Donna & Vickie: Here are some recent pics with my Canon--not claiming they're perfect mind you, but I think pretty much ok. And, of course, the newer ones are higher resolution & more zoom power than mine (which is probably 8-10 yrs old).

The first couple are of beads, also including a couple from the space shuttle launch with the same camera! Then one of my daughter's wedding in Sept, just because!

HTH!
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2008-12-28, 6:18pm
Cancer Sucks!!!

Those are pretty darned good pics. The outdoor shot is really vibrant. I like the detail in the bead and jewelry pics.

These are the ones I'm considering right now. I want something compact.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1205538350143

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1216424728227

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1202429847787

This is the one I got my kids for Christmas

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1200703005322

Old 2008-12-28, 6:24pm
Happy Beadmaker!

Well, I was really impressed with the shuttle shots with that tiny little camera! Although the quality isn't necessarily perfect, the fact that the zoom really captured the night (it was the very last night launch) pleased me very much.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2008-12-28, 6:44pm

I got the Sony Cyber-shot for Christmas, here's a pic I took with it (understand that I am by no means a talented photographer, and this is not one of my better marbles, LOL!)

Old 2008-12-29, 9:16am
Cancer Sucks!!!

Oh Lea, I think the shuttle pics are awesome too! I'm looking at that camera or the updated version as well.

Old 2008-12-29, 9:35am

Vicki,
Check the Sam's club web site. They know have a auction site. I think it is sams auctions is the web site.
Catch you later.
T

Old 2008-12-29, 9:58am
I'm not Barbie.

thanks for posting these pics Lea! They're awesome!
Old 2008-12-30, 10:40am
bead-dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicajane View Post
I got the Sony Cyber-shot for Christmas, here's a pic I took with it (understand that I am by no means a talented photographer, and this is not one of my better marbles, LOL!)
Can you tell me which model you have? I am considering the Sony Cybershot DSC-H10.

Mary

Old 2008-12-30, 2:52pm

I'll kick in a second vote for the elph. We have an 850is for drop in the pocket shooting. I also use it for bead pictures beacuse I'm too lazy to set up the fancy camera all the time.
Here are a couple for examples

I got it based on this review
http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/compacts/sd880.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm
-becuase I wanted something to throw in a pcoket that could also take decent bead photos.
Old 2008-12-30, 4:11pm

I like the Nikon CoolPix cameras. I now have an L18 which is an 8MP camera that is great. It is a replacement for the 6MP version that got the screen damaged last summer. They are around $100 now and I take it all over the world. I have some great shots from Australia. It does fairly well on beads, but the only ones I have done were handheld by kitchen light in Australia to send to Angelique so they could be improved a lot with a tripod and proper lights. There is a new 10MP version out that looks like it is in the $160 to $180 range. Plus they come in all sorts of neat colors

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2008-12-30, 4:58pm

Hey Mary!
I've got the Cyber shot DSC-W110
Jessica