Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2017-07-26, 9:05am

Question Proper Hose Attachment to Betta

Hello, I tried to post a photo earlier but am unable to resize my iPad photo to post here and so perhaps someone can help me without a photo to reference.

I currently use a Bethlehem Betta (looking to replace asap, not Sure What to tho?) and I've never liked the way my hoses were attached and honestly neither did the person who attached them for me but neither of us knew another way and so they were clamped on with some round Hose clamps.
Is this safe and if not, what is the proper way to attach to a Betta?
Thanks for time and also for this community I hope this makes sense without a photo.
Old 2017-07-26, 11:42am

Alright, after taking some time to read this thread: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=96149

I've accumulated more questions and photos about how to set myself up more safely and resized my photos on a pc so can post now

This is my (crazy?) Hose to torch setup.

And under my desk I have these, which are quick connect with flashback protection as far as I know (?)
Now, how could I connect these directly to the torch instead? It seems that is the safest place.

I also want to buy an extra set for the tanks, can someone help me find exactly what I need? I haven't bought anything in years and everything I have has been in storage for just as many years. So I have been feeling a bit lost getting started again.

I wouldn't be doing this myself, I do have a tech. Available to do for me, I just want to be able to explain and understand what I want done.
Old 2017-07-26, 11:53am

And as I said, I intend to change this torch asap because it WAS a surface mix torch but apparently now it doesn't function properly. I felt safe using it still because I have the flashback protection, until I can replace it, but that other thread has scared me !

So I will wait some more before I get started. *twitch*
Old 2017-07-26, 1:09pm

I only have a minor burner, but that pretty much looks like the setup we use, including the flashback arrestors being closer to the tanks than to the torch.

You're saying that it's not functioning properly? Do you have the knobs opened up far enough to "push" the flame out further? I've seen some people barely having any flame going and it pretty much sits on the surface of the torch instead of mixing nicely.
Old 2017-07-26, 1:37pm

Hi Beatrix, I am not entirely sure if it is or isn't functioning properly because I'm only going by advice that there should *never* be a loud "POP" noise while using it. I just know that on a few occasions I have gotten it to pop. I just thought it was normal and ignored it (I mean, after the initial jump of fright! ) but have since been told otherwise.
Old 2017-07-26, 2:03pm

Yeahhh you don't want the "pop" noise, that's the fuel igniting in the hose. Fortunately you have the flashback arrestors on there, are you igniting using the proper protocol of Propane, THEN Oxygen? (and to shut it down, shut off the oxygen, then the propane)
Old 2017-07-26, 2:11pm

Yeah I'd been used to an internal mixing before so knew that if I killed my propane first I'd get the pop so just assumed normal for all torches. Not the external mixes I am told. I did ask if it mattered that I turned the gas off incorrectly and was told it shouldn't matter with such designs. They should just never pop.
But I always use "POOP"...sometimes by mistake I have done it wrong. I've also used up gas and had flames run out on me while working.

Edit to add, I did not have the flashback protection at first, so I guess I am lucky!

Last edited by Glasspie; 2017-07-26 at 2:13pm.
Old 2017-07-26, 7:28pm

Ok so after talking to hubby (my "tech" ) I've learned that this type of torch won't take a direct connection (barbed fitting) so I guess I'm already set up as best I can be for this torch. Looks like others have a similar setup.

I am going to spend tomorrow looking at other torch options but I won't be able to buy another until September.

Firing for first time in years tonight right after firing up my belly with some vindaloo for dinner.