Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2017-08-16, 1:45pm

Question Silvadene use

I went to the Dr. the other day for an eye thing and before leaving I asked the PA that was treating me if I could get a refill script for Silvadene. Told her that I worked on a torch and occasionally (ha ha) burn myself. And I used the cream to treat the not so easy to ignore burns. She told me that she also works in a burn unit and Silvadene actually prolongs a burns healing and that it was better to use Neosporin to keep it moist and cover it with a band-aid. I've been using Silvadene for about 4 yrs now and have never notice a burn not healing with it not to mention that it soothes a burn instantly when I use it. Has anyone had a problem with this cream that was obviously made in Heaven?

Thanks Lisa
Old 2017-08-16, 6:02pm
Loving learning

I have some in the fridge, but my doctor told me it was only to be used on burns if the skin was open/missing, because the purpose was to fight against infection. I have never used it though.
Old 2017-08-16, 6:19pm

Totally agree Lisa, made in heaven for severe burns.

Was told it heals from the inside out ... which would go along with Eileen's comment
"Use on burns if the skin is open/missing."
Old 2017-08-16, 6:25pm
I'm meeeeelting

I have a scientist lamp worker friend who says the same thing - it's only effective on open burns. It's my understanding that for a new burn, you should soak in very cold water (but don't use ice) to cool the burn and stop the spread of the damage and not coat it with anything, because ointments or creams will hold the heat in.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2017-08-16, 8:28pm

Default Silvadene

Ya that's what I was always taught...that's why I make a bee line to the sink. It's second nature lol. But like today, I touched my hothead in two diff places and after the burn was gone and just the wonderful smell of scorched skin was there I put a tiny dot of cream on them and rubbed it in before putting band-aids on them....may not have done anything but it made me feel better LOL

Lisa
Old 2017-08-17, 2:54am

There is always the difference between first aid and further treatment. First aid for burns is running water for a minimum of 10 minutes. Does not to be completely cold water, lukewarm is fine (and more comfortable). First aid is no ice, no ointment, no aloe, not whatever your specific home remedy is, just water.
After that, it really depends on the type of burn, and only a doctor can give you the best advice on that. Cover, not cover, ointment or not, silvadene or not.....there is not one answer. In the Netherlands, Silvadene is only prescribed for certain 2nd degree and 3rd degree burns, but proof of effectiveness is minimal at best.

For me: small burns, I leave them alone. Larger burns, bigger blisters, third degree: I will ask a doctor.
Old 2017-08-17, 6:43am

Silvadene has been effective for me for bad torch burns to nasty blisters not caused by heat (friction). I love the stuff. In recent years I've asked for a new Rx when I was at the doc for something else and it's been a no-go. I don't understand that. Good thing the tube I have still works after 10 years, but I wanted some fresh. Nope.

Old 2017-08-17, 11:20pm

I'm a big fan of second skin hydrogel pads for really nasty burns - like finger-through-the-flame burns. It's basically like walking around with a layer of cool water over the burn; it helps with both pain and healing.
Old 2017-08-18, 1:36pm

The first time I was prescribed it was more than 20 yrs ago for a bad burn from a pressure cooked. That stuff still works, but I asked the doc for a new one and got it a couple years ago. I love it and everytime I get a pop burn from glass etc put a dab on and it makes it feel better instantly.
Old 2017-08-24, 7:48pm

Everything I see us talking about Silva Dene, I bring up Biafine. It's made for radiation treatment care.

$25 for a huge tube online.
Old 2017-08-29, 6:41pm
I'm meeeeelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsglass View Post
I'm a big fan of second skin hydrogel pads for really nasty burns - like finger-through-the-flame burns. It's basically like walking around with a layer of cool water over the burn; it helps with both pain and healing.
They got me through the second day of a marble class after having a marble fall off the punty and land on my hand during the first afternoon.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2017-09-21, 3:45pm

I recently had a 3rd degree burn on my knuckle. stuck it right in the base of the flame for some reason? For a 3rd degree burn, a real hole in your skin, Silvadene cream is best. First cool water for 10 minutes. Dry. Silvadene and a band aid. I washed it every day with soap and water then put on the Silvadene then band aid. It was so bad that I didn't think it would heal properly, but it did!

Laurie Lee Breeden