LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2018-08-07, 2:14pm

Default Funnel Ventilation System Inquiry

Redoing my venting in my lampwork studio and would like to make a funnel ventilation system. I've been sifting through old threads but many of the links are broken and some of the information is outdated so I thought I would open it up again. If there is some good schematics and/or advice that is current regarding how to put in a funnel ventilation system, I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction. I've seen Whit Slemmon's excellent version, however I don't have enough room to put a fan on the outside + I live in temperatures that get to -40 in the winter. Ideally, I would like to keep the fan inside so any suggestions for a powerful, compact and quiet fan would be appreciated. Would love to see current photos of funnel ventilation systems that you're happy with too.

Thanks,
Carrie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2018-08-07, 10:33pm
Phill

One source for good squirrel cage ventilation fans is a local heating and ventilation installers.

They often have to pay to have the old furnaces that they take out of places disposed of when they are installing new furnaces and often the fans and motors work just fine.
So you may be able to get the motor and mounting it came with for just asking.
Old 2018-08-14, 1:34pm

Thanks for the tip Phill. Will have to look into it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2018-08-15, 7:46pm
Phill

I got the fan from my own house furnace when it got replaced and then I stumbled on to a 6 foot by 3 foot kitchen hood for free on Craig's List.

I mounted the fan on the hood and hung that from the ceiling with chains and springs to keep the noise from getting transferred to the ceiling and turning that into a sounding board and amplifying the noise.

I got an 8 inch "blast gate" (kind of like a guillotine) that I rigged a frame around so I could add a pulley and flex wire to which allows me to pull it up and down to keep the Minnesota cold out.

If you are doing minus 40 you might have to get two blast gates and even then you may need to modify them for a tighter fit.

As for make up air in the winter, I have my torch bench against a window so I can pull cold air from the window to travel with the torch fumes and limit how much of the heated house air goes up the fan.

I do move about 5 % of the flow from the heated air over my shoulder so I don't wind up with a face full of fumes.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2018-08-15 at 7:49pm.
Old 2018-08-26, 12:50pm

Saw this ventilation exhaust fan and think it might be great, however I see that the ambient temp. max is 176 F. I would have this fan vented on the wall about 5 feet up from the torch. Does anyone know if there's a standard calculation for how far the fan must be from the torch end? https://www.amazon.com/iPower-Inline...KSP0753CANHHAA

Old 2018-08-26, 6:09pm
Phill

Air will mix in with the fumes from the torch really quickly and reduce the temperature so that won't be an issue at all.

I do have a problem with how much air that particular fan moves.

Most makers of fans drastically over state how much air they move by manipulating the figures from their own testing so you can probably cut that 750 cfm in half to get what you are really going to get from that fan.

And even if those number were true 750 cfm is just not fast enough to move the heavy metals involved with coloring glass out of the duct work to mix with the outside air.

You really don't want a fan that only moves fumes barely fast enough to just dump those chemicals on the outside of your house.
You want the fumes to flow out fast enough to disperse into the air and get spread out enough in the atmosphere to be of little consequence.

A funnel vent system should move at least 1000 cfm and in order to get one that truly moves that much air you should shop for 1200 or 1500 cfm.

Keep in mind that the longer the length of the duct work the faster you want to move the flow through it so that it still has sufficient velocity to mix well with the air outside once it gets there.

Oh and those expandable duct work things have such a rough inside surface that they are the equivalent to half there stated size so an 8 inch diameter flexible duct is only going to move as much air as a 4 inch smooth sided duct.
It makes a huge difference in how effective they are in moving high quantities of air.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2018-08-26 at 6:16pm.
Old 2018-08-27, 2:28pm

Thanks again for the tips Phill!