No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2012-12-01, 7:48pm
Melody of Glass

Question How do you organize findings?

How do you store and organize your findings?

I don't have too many findings yet. Currently they are in a box in their original packaging or zip-lock bags. I try to keep the packaging with the findings so that I know what they are made of but I'm going to quickly outgrow this system (or lack thereof).

I have a few of the stackable organizers for beads in a few different shapes but they are hard to store. I'd like to have everything consolidated somewhere if I can.

I would like to add everything in my inventory software, be able to find it and identify it when I need it and trace it back for pricing.

Does anyone use a plastic parts cabinet like the link below? Does it work for you? Do you label the drawers? Do you reference them in software or on paper to find items?
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

Other ideas or systems that work for you?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-12-01, 9:20pm

I use the plastic cabinet as in the link above. I have cabinet each for sterling silver, copper, bronze and gold-filled. Each drawer is label and coded.Also have one for pearls, gemstones. I have 8 total. Some of them I found at garage sales, Harbor Freight here in the states. If you will save the little packets out of vitamins for moisture. Put those packets in the drawer for sterling silver, Helps keep it from tarnishing so fast,in the drawers.
I love the system I have now. Each cabinet is label , gemstones, SS, copper ,etc.
Hope this helps.
Janet

Last edited by Janetlee; 2012-12-01 at 9:22pm. Reason: more info
Old 2012-12-01, 11:17pm
Salt Box Beads

Default I have these

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ng+closet+bags
Old 2012-12-02, 1:10am

I have a lot of findings.
I use these things:
http://www.harborfreight.com/24-divi...ner-94458.html
i started out about 5 years ago with one storage container for each color with the beads/findings out of the original packaging and a little piece of paper cut out from the packaging and I wrote out the price per item on it. However I have now advanced to placing same items in a plastic tiny bag in the containers. This is becasue I found that over the years things got mixed. Then I would spend too long looking for a particular item. So for example, have a container just for silver bead caps and same bead caps are in a tiny plastic resealable bag and the bag is labeled with the price per bead cap. It really works well for me
Old 2012-12-02, 6:16am

I use the same type of boxes, only most of mine are shimano tackle boxes. i like them b/c they have curved bottoms, making it easier to pick out your findings. if you search, you can get a set - 5 or 6 trays in their own carrying bag. walmart, bass pro, stores like that.

Have fun - it is an addiction, lol.

Jen
Old 2012-12-11, 7:39am

I use map cabinets and watch cases....
one side is crystals and stones
other side is sterling silver

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]

Last edited by Dasi; 2012-12-15 at 8:26am.
Old 2012-12-11, 9:51am

wow, Dasi! I love those cabinets!
Old 2012-12-11, 5:17pm
Melody of Glass

Dasi, those are gorgeous! I have cabinet envy! Where did you find them?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-12-12, 6:18am

Dasi! I am so jealous! Your house looks so neat and beautiful too!
Old 2012-12-12, 7:52am

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

I want those cabinets too!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2012-12-12, 9:49am

Thanks all.
google- map chest for the cabinet.

Here are the containers I use.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...48&cat=1,43326

I like the 41mm and 48mm size.
the 33mm are a little small for anything.

I check the cabinet company but they are out of stock or I would put a link. They don't have it listed on the website.

Old 2012-12-12, 5:23pm
Unmedicated since '62

wow Dasi, thats gorgeous

i use plastic jars that i bought when i had the shop, i must have bought 500 at the time so i'll never run out, i like the jars because i can select what i want to use and tuck myself up on the lounge in front of the tv with a tray

oh and i have enough findings to last me and 50 other people several years

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-12-14, 1:52pm
honorary bead lady

Love the map cabinets!
Here's Carols...
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=55
Old 2012-12-14, 7:23pm

I use cabinets like posted in first post. I have three. Labeled, though I still find myself opening and shutting drawers over and over looking for a certain item.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2012-12-16, 4:07pm

I use a couple of different tackle boxes

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...12656837#green

And

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...413993.4414792

I can just pick them up and sit in the family room or to meetings with friends.

Work great!

Sue

You did what you knew to do, and when you knew better, you did better. -- Maya Angelou
Old 2012-12-16, 4:27pm
Melody of Glass

Lots of great ideas! I like that one, Sue.

In the event that I cannot pull off the absolutely stunning map cabinets of Dasi, I love the idea of the portability. I often work in my kitchen in front of the tv instead of in the basement dungeon where the torch is. It would be nice to be able to pack it all up and bring it downstairs.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-12-17, 7:55am

I keep the little tins in the box so I can stack up the boxes that I need to use for the project and then put the box back in the drawer. Each box holds 12 tins....

Old 2013-01-04, 10:03am

I forgot to show this storage unit also. This becomes my work station when I have a show coming up and I need to create finished jewelry. It is my living room coffee table with lift top and storage. The back has a pull out drawer too. Both sides have drawers also. 6 drawers and storage inside that I put my bead assemble trays in. I love that it becomes a desk.

Last edited by Dasi; 2013-01-05 at 6:41am.
Old 2013-01-04, 12:00pm
Addicted to Melting Glass

Dasi that coffee table is the BOMB!

Old 2013-01-04, 1:57pm
Feminist Killjoy

I use different things, but I have a lot of these. Love them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-c...box-40528.html
Old 2013-01-04, 1:58pm
Melody of Glass

Love that! Awesome idea! I'm considering putting a jeweler's bench in my livi g room but that is way better. Much more stylish too.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-01-05, 6:28am

I use divided drawers that are clear. There's about 33 small 8 large in each case. I have 3 hanging above my work table. Labeled for contents. Purchased at Lowe's not too pricey, they are in the tool section.

Mary Ann
DAUGHTER OF THE KING!
Loving life and Lampworking

Old 2013-01-19, 1:37am
Just getting started!

I use the one in your original post for my findings. 95% of mine are sterling, so I keep the copper and gold only in a couple of drawers (my larger chain I keep in awesome little boxes from Ikea http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/80098583/). I use the largers drawers for other things like gemstone and shell pendants, watch faces etc... The smaller ones are organized by type (i.e. toggles, other clasps, earwires, rounds, rondelles etc...).
I also have 4 of the larger 60-drawer ones (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en) that I use for my beads, crystals etc... I've got one for handmade lampwork, one for gemstones, one for Swarovski and overflow and the last for commercial glass.

I love them! They've worked really well for me and they transport fairly easily. The great things about the drawers is you can easily switch them up between cabinets if needed. A few of my shows I've compacted my necessities into one cabinet and brought it with me so I can work while I'm there and offer custom on-the-spot pieces.

Imadesigns....Creativity Unleashed

Last edited by IksBeadedCreations; 2013-01-19 at 1:41am.
Old 2013-02-03, 1:06am
Lizard rescue squad

I was at my local Lowe's today and stumbled across some small plastic storage boxes that might fit the needs of some people. Although the website link above shows them at $3.48 each, they were clearance priced in the store at only $2 apiece. I bought 4 of them, then when I got home started kicking myself for not buying more. (I'll be going back tomorrow.) They are nice little boxes for beads, findings, nuts and bolts, etc. They also look like they'd make a nice tackle box for those like me who like to travel small and light for fishing ponds and streams.

The boxes are 8x8 inches overall, and with all of the included removable dividers installed have (12) 2x2 inch compartments and (1) 4 inch square compartment. With the dividers removed there are (3) 2x2 inch, (1) 2x4 inch, (1) 6x2 inch, (1) 8x2 inch, and (1) 4x4 inch compartments.

I think this is a killer deal for the price. Since they are being clearanced, stock and price are likely to vary store by store.

Brad

Last edited by glassmaker; 2013-02-03 at 1:15am.
Old 2013-02-03, 6:48pm

I store a lot in old DVD boxes I picked up for .50 each when our local BlockBusters closed.
Old 2013-02-03, 6:58pm
Melody of Glass

Great ideas. Keep them coming! I'm still drooling over the map cabinets, myself.

So far, I've gone with plastic boxes with fixed dividers. They have 25 compartments each and I have 10 of them. They are roughly organized by material. I like their portability (they came with a case to carry 5 of them in) but I don't like that I can't take out a specific box or drawer. I have each compartment identified with a location which is entered into my inventory software.

I bought this recently from Ikea and now have it set up in the kitchen. Much better to make jewelry upstairs than in the basement studio. I love it because when I'm done working, the desktop folds up and the mess is hidden rather than taking up my kitchen table. Lots of storage too.
Attached Images

Coming soon...

Old 2013-03-03, 3:01pm

Anyone try the 'assorted bead storage" system that is sold at fire mountain gems?
http://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdetails/H203075PK
Old 2013-03-28, 9:01pm
Salt Box Beads

Thought I would put the pic up instead of the link, just in case someone needs a quick, cheap easy way to store findings, like I did. I have four of these hanging in the closet each one with a different color metal such as copper, brass, silver, black etc.
Attached Images

Old 2013-04-09, 7:12am

I am in LOVE (and not a small bit of lust ) with Dasi's furniture....

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2013-04-09, 7:19am
Jacqueline Parkes

This is fantastic! May I ask where you can find such a coffee table??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasi View Post
I forgot to show this storage unit also. This becomes my work station when I have a show coming up and I need to create finished jewelry. It is my living room coffee table with lift top and storage. The back has a pull out drawer too. Both sides have drawers also. 6 drawers and storage inside that I put my bead assemble trays in. I love that it becomes a desk.