I own 11-20 and use them all consistently 9 2.36%
I own 11-20 and use several of them consistently 66 17.32%
I own over 21 and use them all consistently 3 0.79%
I own over 21 and use several of them consistently 36 9.45%
Voters: 381. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-08-14, 9:01am
Mary Lockwood

Ummm. I own zero.

Currently, I have two a friend loaned me but I'll only keep them a week or so and send them back.

~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-08-21, 10:17am
Salt Box Beads

It is interesting that the poll shows between 1-10 presses and shaping tools are the average.

I really want to buy a multi shaping brass tool and learn how to use everygroove and ridge on it. That could really increase my variety of bead shapes without the high cost.
I do not recall anyone mentioning the sharp razor blade tools as a favorite??? Does anyone use a razor tool all of the time?

Thank-you to everyone who has responded to this poll. Have a terrific week.
Lorraine
Old 2007-08-21, 1:57pm
Glass-aholic

i use my razor blade ALL the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!
________
WENDIE 99

Last edited by jaci; 2011-04-17 at 8:09pm.
Old 2007-08-21, 6:35pm
Custom Imprint tools

Okay a shameless plug on my Leonardo petal pullers...I would show a new pic but on the wrong computer..... but I love Catt's tools. I was testing them for awhile Bob (husband) only uses presses. WE have about 20...Just a couple Zoozii's though.

Karen

Old 2007-08-21, 8:39pm

I use all the presses I have pretty consistantly. The one's that I didn't use, I sold or traded.
I probably use the lentil, nugget and kalera the most though.
I do like the barrel press I got a few months ago.
My favorite shaping tool would have to be the small brass thing. And then there's another little brass thing that I love. I can't believe I can't remember the names
Irene

Old 2007-08-21, 10:06pm
Glass Burner

Sometimes i'm asked to make bead sets for some local stingers (they don't do lampwork - just buy it) and it's surprising how many of them prefer stamped or molded beads because they are more uniform. but if I'm making beads for one of my or my wife's projects I don't mold them, the people that buy our necklaces and bracellets like those slight imperfections.

Plus sometimes we sell the "seconds" as lots on Ebay and pick up some pretty good change if you have a lot of 100 or more, and who doesn't have 100 "bad" beads left over from projects.
Old 2007-08-25, 7:09am
Modern Renaissance Man

Default Shape, Shape and Shape!

Maybe I am preaching to the choir, however...There are many new bead makers out there using presses as a short cut to make beads. It's my belief and one that I teach in my classes, the three most common words you will hear me say is, "Shape, Shape, Shape!" A lampworker must be able to create all the shapes by hand using only gravity and a marver.

I recommend that a new student that is going to set up a work space to purchase a pound of ivory and a pound of clear and do nothing but shape and encase. NO Designs!! just SHAPE!!

I am old school in that I come from a jewelry fabrication background. When I apprentised it was two years before I used a torch!

If you are going to be serious about making beads, shaping is everything! It teaches you heat control. Where to be in the flame. And the different types of torch settings ie: high oxidizing vs. low oxidizing.

Char!
Old 2007-08-26, 6:58am

I'm with Holly. I use the Osibin shaper ALL THE TIME. I think I pick that set of shapers up for every bead I make unless it's round. I also couldn't live without Sharon Peters razor blade tool. Presses are not for me. I have them but I find them boring to make beads with. They limit me too much.

There is no poll for me. I own a whole bunch of presses and never use them. I guess I should be selling them at the garage sale.

Last edited by glassactcc; 2007-08-26 at 7:02am.
Old 2007-08-26, 7:20pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

My favorite presses are the Kalera Nugget, (presses beautifully), and the Cattwalk Button press (also presses beautifully). I chose on the poll that I have the most presses and I use them a lot because I'm anal about beads all being the same size.

Ebay:
Old 2007-08-26, 7:31pm

My thinking on the presses has nothing to do with sameness or lofty goals like learning all I can from the glass. I just get more satisfaction from doing it my way. ~And I'm cheap and want to find a shape I will use for lots of things.
Old 2007-08-28, 3:04pm
make beads not war

I've actually down-graded the amount of presses I own. I went from 9 presses down to 5. The nugget, crystal and two different lentil sizes. And a 'secret' press. No one has it. LOL...

I've gone back to shaping a lot of my beads with a good ole graphite marver.
Old 2007-08-30, 11:40am
geekitude on two wheels

I answered 21+, some consistently before I read through the thread; now I wonder if I should've answered differently since I don't use any presses at all, and just 2 molds - a multi- marble mould, and an open end marble mould. both the moulds I use for shaping more than moulding since I prefer more unique organic shapes. I also use my patti-whackers, stump shaper, kitchen spoon, a couple different styles of tweezers, a razor, a heat sink, and metal spatulas.
Old 2007-09-05, 8:26pm
Burning through glass

Dumb question, but who uses the BBQ mashers? ..... no one mentions using those....maybe I missed something. They still "squish", right?
So, anyone use them? I still think I kinda like them, as I remember when I first learned how to make a bead, several years ago. But I don't own a pair myself now, but I might buy one of my own someday....advantages/disadvantages compared the newer presses? (you might say I've been under a rock for a while as far as "presses" go) See, I told you it was a dumb question!

Renee

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2007-09-06, 11:24am
geekitude on two wheels

jetage- I don't use my bbq mashers because I find it as easy to use a paddle to squish my bigger beads. I do use my tweezer mashers, tho. I think the presses are in a different league, tho, they're designed to provide a very specific shape while the mashers are more of a general tool to help with shaping, kwim?
Old 2007-09-06, 9:18pm
Super Duper

The only press I use much is my lentil. I would use a puffy pillow if I had one, but its not a huge priority for me.

As for shaping tools, my new favorite is the Japanese kote thing, it meshes with me a lot better than a graphite paddle. I also use bbq mashers tonnes when I am doing murrini or cane. They are good for shaping a lot of glass into a cylinder.

Finally, I have tonnes of rakes, tweezers and a set of petal pushers. I don't know if those count though.
Old 2007-09-08, 11:18pm
Salt Box Beads

Hi Char...I understand where you are coming from but with a lot of our lampworkers they make beads for sale and sell a lot and love using the molds/presses and have no desire to learn how to do "all the shapes" by hand. Although a lot of them can.

So when you stated that a "lampworker must be able to create all the shapes by hand using only gravity and a marver" I couldn't disagree more.
The basics are good enough for most beginners and not so difficult that they lose interest or think it is all BEYOND their capabilities.

A lot of us are "serious" about making beads and have never learned the way you are suggesting. If I had to learn the way you are suggesting all of the fun would have been removed for me.

I personally will never do all of the shapes by hand and truly enjoy bead presses and tools. I do not consider them a "short cut". Just like I do not consider my electric sewing machine to be a short cut.. or my electric hair rollers or my microwave to be shortcuts.

If I need to learn how to make a certain shape without a bead press I have that option, but I am so very thankful to the inventors and makers of our favorite bead presses and tools because I LUV LUV LUV THEM. and the ease of use and the ease of creation with them and the extra time they give me to play with glass.

I guess lampworking has moved forward into the 21st century.
Hugs
Lorraine
Old 2007-09-13, 9:39am
Senior Moment

I have 4 presses, I like the zoozie hex the best, I want one of the sprees though.
I use the razor blade tool ALOT( I have 4 of them so one is always with in reach)
My bbq mashers are also always with in reach. Bad beads become squish fish!
I would love to get one of Jeff's new mashers cause my hands are having more problems squeesing the bbq style ones lately.
And lately the graphite bicone shaper has gotten alot of use.

Dia

Old 2007-09-13, 10:07am

I admit that I am addicted to presses. I did lampworking for 3 years before I got into presses but I love using them. I have many favorites but I think I use my chunky lentil from Cattwalk the most as far as presses. My favorite shaping tool would have to be a marver Catt made for me. It is a straight piece of brass about 2 inches wide and 2.5 inches long approximately and has a handle. It is thin enough that it isn't heavy at all. It gives me two long flat brass pieces for shaping and getting colors from raku and other silver glass. On the sides: one side is really sharp and comes to a v-cut, one side is very sharp but is cut on a slant and the top is the same way but the slant isn't as deep. I need to take a picture of it. I love this tool. I use it for almost every bead. It is sharp enough to make all of the grooves I need for my vines, murrini and twisties. I use one side of it for making the crease on my hearts and raised flowers. I use the straight part of the marver for rolling, applying foil, shaping bicones etc. It is long enough that I can get a nice roll if I am making a long barrel. For me, it is the perfect shaping tool. It essentially replaced my razor, stump shaper and graphite marver. I just love it. I will take a picture when I get home from work and hopefully Catt won't get me because it is a prototype...

I agree that learning the basic shapes before moving on to presses is a good thing. But, I believe presses are fun and it might help a frustrated beginner take a break from beads that are disappointing. I used to get very very frustrated as a beginner when I couldn't get the perfect hole and presses might have helped me to just take a break from that and make something that was nicely shaped. Of course, presses take practice too and can be frustrating as well. I believe it is crucial to learn to shape the glass with a marver as well. This teaches you how the glass moves and heat control but I think the basic shapes are enough to get a beginner started. Presses are a big part of my lampworking so I would get really bored if I only had a marver.

Of course, this is all just my opinion.

Last edited by Rachel; 2007-09-13 at 10:12am.
Old 2007-09-14, 11:43pm

Here's some pictures of that brass marver Catt makes that I like so much. I really love it because it can do so many things. She's working on a few more for me. I can't work withouth my tool. I need a name for it I guess.

Last edited by Rachel; 2007-09-15 at 6:09am.
Old 2007-11-06, 9:15am
Formerly Travelin'gal

There wasn't an option for me. I own close to 20 tools I believe. I haven't counted lately. I use about three of them regularly. But I just can't give up the others. I do use them, just not regularly.

My favs are the button press trio and 1 inch focal
The puffy pillow press duo and the focal
Then the tile trio. The tile doesn't seem to sell as well for me, but I really like the shape.

all by Cattwalk

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2007-11-06, 9:17am
Formerly Travelin'gal

Oh Rachel., I need that marver. As soon as I get some funds I will be hitting Catt up for that.

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2007-11-06, 5:52pm
Striking-impared...

Hmmm, I've had at least 20 presses. But I've pared down to the top 6 and sold or traded the rest.

On the other hand my top 6 change over time, as I get tired of a shape and trade it for something else.

Right now I adore the Zoozii's nugget and straight-sided lentil. Don't think I will be trading them anytime soon!

Old 2007-11-06, 8:45pm

Default I have a few I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char! View Post
Maybe I am preaching to the choir, however...There are many new bead makers out there using presses as a short cut to make beads. It's my belief and one that I teach in my classes, the three most common words you will hear me say is, "Shape, Shape, Shape!" A lampworker must be able to create all the shapes by hand using only gravity and a marver.

I recommend that a new student that is going to set up a work space to purchase a pound of ivory and a pound of clear and do nothing but shape and encase. NO Designs!! just SHAPE!!

I am old school in that I come from a jewelry fabrication background. When I apprentised it was two years before I used a torch!

If you are going to be serious about making beads, shaping is everything! It teaches you heat control. Where to be in the flame. And the different types of torch settings ie: high oxidizing vs. low oxidizing.

Char!
I think it is important that you learn how to use gravity when creating a bead. This is the one time that gravity is your friend () I have a lentil press from corina beads and a press catt gave me a few years ago. (thanks Catt) I use the one Catt gave me. but not the lentil press. I see beautiful work with them. And I feel there is room for all kinds of tools, from presses to marvers. to shapers. I think Char has a good point for the beginner.Once you get the gravity thing down you can move onto the presses My MAGS mashers are my favorite tool also. That is the only lentil tool I use.
OHHHH
And of course my tool line..

Years ago I took a simple idea from a piece of marble that had a 45 angle on it. I used that piece of marble every time I was on the torch. Someday I will show the piece of marble. This year we took that marble idea and made it into the tool below. Its long and lean to work on and I love to marver. I have other tools on my web site also, but this is my baby. I just love the sharp edges on it and it works like a dream rolling back and forth..

Old 2007-11-07, 8:16pm

Ooooh Deanna, you and I might have to do some press loans since we're so close!!!

Ok, my name's Dawn and I'm a press-aholic. I own around 25 of them. I just downgraded and sold 3 of them last month and then somehow ended up with 1 more I couldn't do without! I actually need to thank Gail above for the addiction as I bought my first press (maybe the first 2!) from her when I couldn't afford new ones and she was downgrading!

My favorites that are used daily are the zoozii lentil, zoozii kalera, zoozii crystal, cattwalk puffy pillow, cattwalk marquise, um, um... After I tried the smaller puffy pillow press, I'm ditching my zoozii tile press (I think) as it gives me fits to use and with all the handshaping I have to do on the beads after pressing, it's almost pointless to have anyway!

I don't have a marver at all as the hurricane ate that, my masher, rod cutter and all graphite tools... I just haven't replaced any of them yet. I actually use an upside down cattwalk press to do flattening and such... and the handled portion of one I use as a marver.

Dawn

Old 2008-05-14, 7:31pm
Don't be a zombie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter's Flame View Post
I only own one shaping tool these days, a marble mold and I use it frequently. For me personally presses etc just didn't work out. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE OFFENSE........I looked at my beads one day and decided they all looked the same.....like they came out of a press....and to me they were boring. I like other people's pressed beads, I have nothing against presses or pressed beads...but I decided that I did not put enough creativity into my beads if I pressed them.......so I broke from the direction I was headed and decided not to use presses etc. I kept my marble mold and it is an invaluable tool for me.

Otter
2nd
Old 2008-05-14, 9:32pm

I have a three in one lentil. I got it second hand and I'm not sure who made it. I have used it exactly twice. and one of the beads is really nice.
I'm looking for the Corina's three in one lentil which she called the tab or something? sorry can't remember the name but it didn't have divots at the ends and was a lentil . anyone want to sell that press ? or know what it is called ? thanks
Old 2008-05-16, 6:02pm
Karma-believe it, live it

I use my val cox marver the most. Not sure if it's the chubby bicone shape or the beeswax smell that makes me use it the most..hehe
Old 2008-05-17, 5:51am
Lover of all things color

Ok, first of all, I'm fairly new. I have two presses and still haven't figured out how to use them. So the poll didn't really contain a choice for me to use. I will admit that I probably got the hardest press you could get to try, it was the long wavy one. Way too much glass needed to get that to work properly and it has to be on the mandrel in kind of a wavy shape to begin with. The other one I got was the small lentil and I just can't get it. Probably too new to be messing with it.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-06-06, 2:19pm

Does anyone use a round tool to make round beads? It is hard for me to make them all the same size! I see marble molds but few with mandrel slits.
Lulie
Old 2008-06-06, 9:00pm

Lorraine: I have good clean, safe home, for any used tools. Promise to feed and water daily, if the you would allow me to adopt your unwanted tools. LOL

Nell

[url= "
href="
ref=profile&id=1617182017" target="_blank">Facebook

[