Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-06-24, 10:35am
I'm a lilac!

Default If you have a Harbor Freight rock tumbler...

...then you know how often the belts break. At $2.99 each to replace, it adds up, and it's frustrating!

Go to http://www.oringwarehouse.com/, and order the size -342 70-durometer Nitrile O-rings.

Yes, you are seeing the price correctly; they are twelve cents each. The minimum order is five dollars - yes, that's 42 O-rings - and shipping is around nine, so for $14 you will end up with a lifetime supply of replacement belts.

And these don't break often, at all.

You're welcome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-06-24, 10:43am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I had the same problem, but found a vacuum belt that fixes it and was able to get one from the local vac repair place. The belt fits fits PERFECTLY in length, you just have to cut it to the right width. It is a Hoover 38528-035. That sucker will NEVER break. I use a razor blade to cut a thin piece off the edge of the belt - it doesn't have to be straight or perfect or anything - just not too wide. I've been using the first one I ever cut for over 4 years.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-06-24, 10:45am
I'm a lilac!

The O-rings are a perfect fit, and I have yet to have the first one break (but it's only been a couple of weeks, so...) so 42 belts is probably massive overkill... but it's 42 belts for fourteen bucks! It would probably be ideal to split the order between 8 people, then it would be $1.75 for five belts.

Old 2011-06-24, 10:51am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
The O-rings are a perfect fit, and I have yet to have the first one break (but it's only been a couple of weeks, so...) so 42 belts is probably massive overkill... but it's 42 belts for fourteen bucks! It would probably be ideal to split the order between 8 people, then it would be $1.75 for five belts.
Maybe you should sell some of the extras in the GS

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-06-24, 10:52am
Lampworkaholic!

Thanks Kalera! I am on my first Harbor Freight belt but I've just tumbled 3 times so far. Harbor Freight included 5 or so spare belts in the box, but I'm bookmarking that site for later.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-06-24, 10:54am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Maybe you should sell some of the extras in the GS

Old 2011-06-24, 11:51am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I took my old belt to Tractor Supply & found some O rings that worked.

Vivian

-

Old 2011-06-24, 12:08pm

That's a good source for replacement belts.

Personally, when mine broke, I just found a rubber band that fit. It lasted for about 6 months.
Old 2011-06-24, 12:23pm
I'm a lilac!

Oh, there are tons of alternatives. But these are ridiculously cheap even delivered to your doorstep, and I figured I'd post the link and part number to save other broken-belt sufferers time and gas searching.

Old 2011-06-24, 2:14pm

Thanks Kalera for sharing the tip. So far mine hasn't broken , but mine only came with one belt, from HF.I wonder where I would find one, when it broke.You save me the worry of finding it.
Janet C.
Old 2011-06-24, 3:14pm

Oh, please don't take what I said badly. It just amuses me endlessly that it runs with a rubberband. Sorry!!
Old 2011-06-24, 3:56pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaJ View Post
Oh, please don't take what I said badly. It just amuses me endlessly that it runs with a rubberband. Sorry!!
Oh, it's totally funny! I read about the rubber band tip on another forum, and even rooted around in my junk drawer hoping to find one.

Old 2011-06-24, 8:14pm

That is brilliant, thank-you Kalera.
Darrell in Ontario
Old 2011-06-24, 8:33pm
><>

Quote:
broken-belt sufferers
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2011-06-24, 10:18pm
I'm a lilac!

Old 2011-06-24, 10:47pm
I'm meeeeelting

Thanks. I'm bookmarking the link.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2011-06-25, 9:57am
I'm a lilac!

Awesome! I hope it's helpful. My tumbler is in use almost constantly, and the Harbor Freight belts were breaking once a week or more. I used to have a kid's toy rock tumbler that ran and ran like a little champ, but it had a pretty tiny capacity and I am tumbling more and more... finally, after about eight years, the poor little motor burned out!

Old 2011-06-26, 6:15am
Peerless Thread Killer

Thanks for the tip! I have a little cheap-ass tumbler that I haven't used yet. Had it for years, and just have to get the shot. I'm sure I'll need those o-rings soon, lol!

Old 2011-06-26, 6:58am
Certified Glassaholic!

Thanks for the tip Knock on wood - I've had my tumbler for several years and have not had to replace the belt yet. Maybe that means that I'm not using it enough??? I'll definitely bookmark the site though.

Cheers,

-Yee

Old 2011-06-26, 7:23am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeepers View Post
Thanks for the tip Knock on wood - I've had my tumbler for several years and have not had to replace the belt yet. Maybe that means that I'm not using it enough??? I'll definitely bookmark the site though.

Cheers,

-Yee
If you have an older tumbler, you might have a belt that doesn't suck.

Old 2011-06-27, 6:11am

I bookmarked this, too. My tumbler acts like it can hardly turn round, I was wondering if it was a belt or the motor. Hubbys says belt, so now I'm armed and ready when it goes!!!

Old 2011-06-28, 12:38am
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Oh, it's totally funny! I read about the rubber band tip on another forum, and even rooted around in my junk drawer hoping to find one.
And of course you probably couldn't find one because, I know I never save mine. However, they always seem to pop up when I am vacuuming... just in time to make my vacuum cough and sputter and make me have to perform major surgery on it.

*shakes tiny fists of fury*
Old 2011-06-28, 6:57am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownGirl View Post
And of course you probably couldn't find one because, I know I never save mine. However, they always seem to pop up when I am vacuuming... just in time to make my vacuum cough and sputter and make me have to perform major surgery on it.

*shakes tiny fists of fury*

Old 2015-04-09, 2:12pm

Wink those darn belts...

To anyone looking for a replacement belt for a harbor freight rock tumbler- please don't call for the scam that is out there. Chicago tools and h.f. want you to pay 3 or 4 bucks a pop for a substandard belt that is designed to break.... Sooner or later. Squid had an excellent idea- use a hoover vac belt (hate to correct you, squid, old buddy, but the part no. Is 38528 [prefix for all hoover belts]-038, not 035). The only thing is you gotta adjust the screws a little bit that hold the motor in place. Once you get that tuned in, you can forget about constantly checking your tumbler to make sure it's still rolling 'cuz those babies will last for years. The -038s will run about $6 or $7 at a vacuum repair shop. Not to dismiss your idea, Kalera, you beautiful thing you, I just wanted a belt NOW and didn't feel like paying s&h fees or waiting on the o-ring store to ship it! Anyway, happy tumbling/ ball milling, all!!
Old 2015-04-09, 4:38pm

Looks like the site originally linked is down. Anyone know where to find a similar deal?
Old 2018-06-23, 2:05pm

I'm a bit confused. People seem to be using the terms "O-ring" and "belts" interchangeably but they're two entirely different parts. The tumbler instructions say to replace the v-belts (part #40) periodically and also replace the o-rings (part #37)once in a while. They also say that 5 "replacement o-rings are included" but there are no o-rings in the box although there are some replacement belts. Nor do they describe HOW to replace the o-rings although they do describe how to replace the belts.
Old 2018-06-23, 2:16pm

I think they were buying O-rings of an appropriate size as replacements for the belts. The original post is from 2011, and most of the people posting from back then are no longer active here.
Old 2018-06-25, 12:45am

They also changed the design so this only applies to the older model.

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2018-06-26, 6:22am

I just use an appropriately sized rubber band. It works for a year or kore and the. I just replace it.