Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-11, 2:53am
Frustrated Artist

Default Cleaning Keys with beads on them.

I put my keys in with my steel shot and it cleaned them pretty good. I showed hubby and he said I should put a little CLR in with them to get them even shinier. Anyone ever tried this? I do not want to etch the beads.

I have always made my beads to float on the keys. When you all put the glass right on the key do you have horrible bubbles? I had a key catch on fire the other day.
Thanks D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-04-11, 3:56am
sunscreen me baby

What is CLR?

I like the floaty thing too. I really need to try one of these. I keep acquiring keys and have yet to make one, lol.

~

Old 2010-04-11, 8:09am
honorary bead lady

Davina make sure you burn off the plating on the key first, the zinc is most likely causing the bubbles.

The keys are going to oxidize from making the bead anyway so why clean first?

SuzyQ...that is just sooo wrong
Old 2010-04-11, 8:10am

I usually wipe the keys down that I want to make a bead stationary on, and heat the area until it glows lightly as you would a mandrel. Some of them have some funky stuff on them after all these years and I don't tumble them or anything because I like the really antique look, but sometimes they smoke a little when you first put them in the flame that way. I make sure I wear my mask for the first few minutes.
Old 2010-04-11, 8:33am

This is a wonderful thread! Great tips, thanks! I hope lots of people share their "beads on keys" tips. Zach is chomping at the bit to get started making these.
Old 2010-04-11, 11:29am
a pox upon an idiot :..

Putting CLR in your tumbler is not a good idea. It could degrade the rubber making your barrel not usable for polishing anything else.
Old 2010-04-11, 12:39pm
Frustrated Artist

Thanks Edie, I knew there was a reason he was wronge.

Old 2010-04-11, 3:21pm
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrr View Post
Putting CLR in your tumbler is not a good idea. It could degrade the rubber making your barrel not usable for polishing anything else.

I never thought of that! Thanks.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-04-11, 3:23pm
sunscreen me baby

Hello? What is CLR???

~

Old 2010-04-11, 4:27pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
Hello? What is CLR???

It's that nasty smelling cleaner that cleans rust and lime off of cement and shower heads.

My son saw on the TV commercial that you can run CLR through your coffee maker to clean it. So he decides to run it through his beloved espresso machine. I told him not to and that it would ruin the machine......... well he did it anyway and the smell was unbearable. The stuff leached into the metal and he couldn't rinse out the taste! He's now drinking instant coffee.
Old 2010-04-11, 4:37pm
sunscreen me baby

oh, lol. thanks

~

Old 2010-04-11, 7:03pm
I need more boro stuff

You can soak the keys in CLR for couple hours in plastic bowl first ,rinse them clean after-before the tumbling.