LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2007-01-12, 9:07pm

Default Homemade Torch, Kiln ,Controller and .....

$1.50 thrift store BBQ tongs turned into 2" square mashers.
I enjoy building equipment almost as much as I like to melt glass.
I tried the torch today and I made a 3 1/2" drawer pull bead
and a 4" Fish bottle stopper. It works Great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-01-12, 9:44pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Very cool, but wondering why you are flipping me off, lol.

Some awesome stuff you made there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-01-12, 9:48pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I noticed that too! LOL

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-01-12, 9:53pm

Well Deb, Its like this:
I had a slight Industrial accident last year and as a result I lost the use of my
pinky and ring finger on my left hand, I tend to grip things in very unusual
ways now. i was wondering if anyone would notice..... You are quite perceptive. I am right handed so it hasn't effected me that much.
Thanks for the positive comments on my work. Its fun to make.

Old 2007-01-12, 9:57pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Well crap, now I feel horrible. Glad you didn't lose your finger completely.

Old 2007-01-12, 10:00pm

Don't feel like crap, How the Heck would you know???
No Harm, No Foul...
Like I said, Thanks for the nice words about my work.

Old 2007-01-13, 10:49am
Gentleman of Leisure

Cool torch.... Makes my mind begin to work.....

Was trying to deal with how to make fuel/oxy "connection" at valves and keep them separate till they hit torch face.... Little light bulb went on!!!

By the way...What is oxy & fuel pressures that you are using?

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-01-13, 11:05am

KICKASS! (sorry about my french there )

As nice as all of it looks. Every thing also looks pretty well done and functinal. Every thing looks very heavy duty to. The only thing you seem to be laking on is the "homemade look"
You need to make them look more janky or hokie looking If you want any one to beleave they are realy homemade. lol lol lol

The torch looks like you just need to figure out a difrent size tube to use to get the spacing more even.
Old 2007-01-13, 8:54pm

That is friggen awesome! Nice set up

It's great to be a FLORIDA GATOR!
Old 2007-01-13, 9:39pm

Thanks!
My fuel is 4psi and my oxy is 10lpm @ 10psi, works pretty good!
I thought that the spacing might be a problem but, it seems to be
pretty even. I will make a couple more, each one progressively
bigger . This makes a really good Bead Torch and you can do
4" soft glass sculpture also. Fun Stuff!

Old 2007-01-14, 11:04am
Salt Box Beads

I make/build all sorts of things but that doesn't mean they work!!

YOU ARE SOOOO TALENTED!! Your endeavors actually work and quite well too!! I am so hecka impressed..I am going to show my hubby...
Thank you so much for sharing with great photos too.
Lorraine
Old 2007-01-14, 1:54pm

No problem, thats what this site is all about, Right?
I hope you are able to use the info to your benefit.
Thanks!

Old 2007-01-14, 3:57pm

So are you running this as a premix torch then? It looks pretty slick! I've been thinking of doing something similar as I would like to have more heat than my Mini CC gives off sometimes. Could be a fun project

Very nice work on the kiln too. You must have a metal break to be able to get such nice bends in the sheet metal. Great job! My only complaint is that you did such a nice job on the box of the kiln, and then you put an ugly electrical box on it

Old 2007-01-14, 6:50pm

No, Surface Mix
You can make it as big as you want.
I actually bent the stainless over a board.
I would have liked to use a stainless J-Box
but couldn't find one easily.
I made the kiln out of scrap stainless that I had or found.
The controller box was a stainless kleenex box cover.

Last edited by Mike H; 2007-01-24 at 8:58am.
Old 2007-01-14, 7:11pm

you are amazing. trully!

Old 2007-01-15, 12:27am
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Wow! This is so amazing! I agree with Smutboy, though. You really need to up the janky quotient if you expect people to believe you made these yourself. LOL!

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2007-01-15, 1:35am
I poop flowers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljjr View Post
My only complaint is that you did such a nice job on the box of the kiln, and then you put an ugly electrical box on it
Come on, now, he can`t have it be TOO professional looking. Something has to give away the fact that it`s homemade, right?
Seriously, though, awesome work. I can`t even imagine doing that, I`m still trying to perfect round beads.....
Old 2007-01-19, 10:45am

Just amazing. Where could one find info to build their own torch?
Old 2007-01-19, 11:53am

Mike,
Do you think it would be possible to modify a Fireworks torch (It's similiar to a HH) to accept oxygen?
Old 2007-01-20, 7:04pm

Next your going to have to show a photo of the Workshop you used to build the glass studio Very nice looking though!

: Friendly site for reserving spots in Group Magazine Ads.
Connect with me:

Old 2007-01-20, 8:07pm
Fusing Glass

WOW Mike, I am totally in awe, your beads are just wonderous! I need a torch like that...and I actually need a torch too you sellin? or informin or...or...or...? I have an unhappy torch right now... okay, I am so coming for MikeH's build your own torch and kiln class...now when is it again?
Old 2007-01-21, 4:19am
It's all about art.

Was everything for the torch available at a hardware store?

That is just great when you can do all this by yourself. I'm in awe!

Thanks for posting the photos.

Barbara

Old 2007-01-21, 4:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahlamodie View Post
Come on, now, he can`t have it be TOO professional looking. Something has to give away the fact that it`s homemade, right?
Seriously, though, awesome work. I can`t even imagine doing that, I`m still trying to perfect round beads.....
That is why I had the smily there! He did an awsome job!

I just might have to try building one of those torches though. Hmmm... Wonder how big I can make it??? Can you say BORO?

Old 2007-01-22, 5:36am
old fart

great job mike!!!! how did you seal up all of the internal tubes where they feed into the hose connector? did you brase them together? very clever, i am glad to see a person of a similar mine to me!!!!

Old 2007-01-22, 1:54pm
Crazy tool making guy....

I'm curious as well...

Is it a pre-mix torch? Are the tubes jammed in as a flame arrestor?

Thanks!

-Jeff
Old 2007-01-22, 10:36pm

I am seriously impressed ... really. I would love to make these things myself being of that nature but I'm also clueless as to how these things work. I understand the metal working (I have a brake so can bend sheet metal) but the electrical end of it leaves me sadly wanting. I did physics in school but went into the arts later on (all girls school so home economics and needlework were what we did - rather than autoshop and ... ??? what did you do? How did you get to the point of knowing how to do all this?).

So, I really need a kiln controller for fusing (my fuji is on it's last legs - but as it "works" it doesn't qualify for replacement yet (so sensible dh says - who is a good foil for ooooh, aaaah , must buy it me). I would be really interested in making my own if I had the knowledge to do it. Hell, if I can figure out how to program my fuji then I'm sure I can figure out how to make the thing given some basic info!

Also ... anyone know how to ... whoops won't hijack the thread here!

Old 2007-01-23, 12:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserglass View Post
great job mike!!!! how did you seal up all of the internal tubes where they feed into the hose connector? did you brase them together? very clever, i am glad to see a person of a similar mine to me!!!!
The base of the nipple that is threaded into the fuel (bottom) fitting is where the brass tubes end. At that point the brass tubes are soldered together and all the spaces are sealed between the tubes creating the isolated passageway for the fuel .
This design is not mine, It is from a person in Canada that builds all his own stuff. I just used some of his basic ideas and made my own version.
Thanks for the interest, and I will keep building my own equipment
just for Fun.

And Yes Gary, you can build it as big as you want, No limits!

P.S. The torch is a Surface Mix, Not Premix.

Last edited by Mike H; 2007-01-23 at 8:57am.
Old 2007-01-24, 9:55am

Any chance of getting some sketches of how you made the insides of the torch?
Old 2007-01-24, 10:58am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Very awesome!
I agree with everyone here - if you're going to do a custom
job - it need some snazzing up.
I'm thinking some fins on the sides - maybe some color.
Custom shaped knobs (maybe glass knobs?).
You are too cool for words.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-01-24, 9:32pm

As soon as the original designer of the torch completes his next video,
I will post a link to it.
I am building another torch as I write.
I agree Karen, Glass knobs would be the Coolest!
And color always helps. Thanks!

Last edited by Mike H; 2007-01-24 at 9:44pm.